Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:02 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmokinginthp View Post
He or she probably could not get good answers from fellow Chinese in China, as the country mentioned is still considered an enemy unofficially in China. Stubborn people in China consider a trip to Japan bad.
Yes, I think that there are plenty of Chinese people who are actually still fairly intelligent and thoughtful who would have a hard time being OK with a trip to Japan because a dislike of Japan is just a common tenet of thought in modern/contemporary Chinese culture. It's like how you have people in the US and Canada who are generally open-minded and smart but who have an ingrained, knee-jerk dislike for Middle Eastern countries.

A few days ago in another thread, one of the ethnic/national Chinese posters in this thread made a comment about Japan "stealing" Chinese culture. Another one of the Chinese posters in this thread has made the same comment in the past. My (Chinese) girlfriend studied Japanese in university and has a much more fair opinion of them, but most of my coworkers have made the same statement - that the Japanese "stole" culture from China - which is an asinine and emotional thing to say. It's like the British saying that the Americans or Australians "stole" British culture (a couple people in the World forum had said such things in the past and were laughed down by everyone else). But, in any case, someone who grows up hearing that a nation is comprised of thieves and murderers probably won't want to go there.

The Chinese people I know who have been there liked it, and commented on how clean and orderly it is. They liked how "international" and "modern" Tokyo was, even though they have also been to "international" and "modern" Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Beijing. They liked places like Kyoto for its classic architecture and history, and places like Mt Koya and Mt Fuji for their nature and scenery. They are still critical of Japan's past, but they're not stuck on it like others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yes, I think that there are plenty of Chinese people who are actually still fairly intelligent and thoughtful who would have a hard time being OK with a trip to Japan because a dislike of Japan is just a common tenet of thought in modern/contemporary Chinese culture. It's like how you have people in the US and Canada who are generally open-minded and smart but who have an ingrained, knee-jerk dislike for Middle Eastern countries.

A few days ago in another thread, one of the ethnic/national Chinese posters in this thread made a comment about Japan "stealing" Chinese culture. Another one of the Chinese posters in this thread has made the same comment in the past. My (Chinese) girlfriend studied Japanese in university and has a much more fair opinion of them, but most of my coworkers have made the same statement - that the Japanese "stole" culture from China - which is an asinine and emotional thing to say. It's like the British saying that the Americans or Australians "stole" British culture (a couple people in the World forum had said such things in the past and were laughed down by everyone else). But, in any case, someone who grows up hearing that a nation is comprised of thieves and murderers probably won't want to go there.

The Chinese people I know who have been there liked it, and commented on how clean and orderly it is. They liked how "international" and "modern" Tokyo was, even though they have also been to "international" and "modern" Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Beijing. They liked places like Kyoto for its classic architecture and history, and places like Mt Koya and Mt Fuji for their nature and scenery. They are still critical of Japan's past, but they're not stuck on it like others.
Actually few if any Chinese will be against the idea of visiting Japan (except during some sensitive periods). Most if not all want to visit Japan if they have the chance.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmokinginthp View Post
He or she probably could not get good answers from fellow Chinese in China, as the country mentioned is still considered an enemy unofficially in China. Stubborn people in China consider a trip to Japan bad.
Obviously you do not live in China.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:47 PM

38 posts, read 28,316 times
i just visted nepal

Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,355 times
Thank you very much to all of you , didn't expect to get so many answers ( regardless of how many of them were really helpful )
The reason why I wanna visit Japan is just that I really like to travel around the world. I've already been to Europe ( Italy, Germany , ( Turkey)) and Asia ( China of course, Arab Emirates and Malaysia).
I wanted to visit Tokyo this summer, and my plan was to fly to China afterwards. I myself am not hostile toward Japan and Japanese people, just to get that clear

Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyushBhatt View Post
a Chinese visiting Japan is like an American visiting Canada
In terms of cultural gap, more like a Russian visiting Germany

Old 12-22-2014, 08:53 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emii View Post
Hello!
I'm a Chinese citizen and on vacation I'm always in China, visiting family and friends. Some while ago I was thinking about a trip to Tokyo, but now I honestly think the trip will not be worth the money.
The reason is : I searched a lot about Tokyo and the attractions there, and it seems like there is not much difference between China and Japan. Can anyone confirm this?
It'd be great if you could mention the differences between these two countries, if there are some . Probably there are some ,it is possible that I don't know about them, though.
What do you think?
Please help me!!
( I already visited big cities in China ( Hong Kong, Shanghai) ; that's also the reason for my way of thinking)
Thank you
This is an absurd statement.

I've been to China 6 times and just recently came back from my first time in Japan a few weeks ago. Specifically Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and Tokyo.

Japan is so much different than China. To me it felt like a european country situated in Asia.

By far Japan is best country in Asia. China, while it has it's good parts and bad parts is so far behind Japan in terms of culture, cleanliness, logistics, infrastructure, education.

China, although the land of opportunity is just disgusting in terms of sanitization standards, traffic, and education levels.

Japan is the complete opposite.

Tokyo is just an amazing city. And we had a wonderful time, and it was still cheaper than NYC.

I honestly didn't want to leave. Everything is better in Japan than in China. The food, the internet, the women, architecture, airports, the roads, customer service, cinema, music, shopping districts, you name it they have it, and they do it the best in all of Asia.

The only thing I have regretted is why I didn't visit Japan earlier.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
This is an absurd statement.

I've been to China 6 times and just recently came back from my first time in Japan a few weeks ago. Specifically Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and Tokyo.

Japan is so much different than China. To me it felt like a european country situated in Asia.

By far Japan is best country in Asia. China, while it has it's good parts and bad parts is so far behind Japan in terms of culture, cleanliness, logistics, infrastructure, education.

China, although the land of opportunity is just disgusting in terms of sanitization standards, traffic, and education levels.

Japan is the complete opposite.

Tokyo is just an amazing city. And we had a wonderful time, and it was still cheaper than NYC.

I honestly didn't want to leave. Everything is better in Japan than in China. The food, the internet, the women, architecture, airports, the roads, customer service, cinema, music, shopping districts, you name it they have it, and they do it the best in all of Asia.

The only thing I have regretted is why I didn't visit Japan earlier.
I think the bolded part is an overexaggeration. Even though Japan had its gates open very early to the West than other asian countries, but come on..you gotta be kidding me. Have you even been to Europe? The Japanese people don't even think like the Europeans!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:26 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
To me it felt like a european country situated in Asia.
I agree and disagree. Japan is definitely the only real developed country in Asia but it's more of a league of its own.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:19 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Definitely visit Yokohama, which has a nice Chinatown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia