Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 PM

265 posts, read 535,197 times

Advertisements

I have 2 teaching offers in these cities. Which city is nicer overall? Also, which is more western? Better climate? And any other information you could provide me about comparing the 2 cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 AM

653 posts, read 744,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
I have 2 teaching offers in these cities. Which city is nicer overall? Also, which is more western? Better climate? And any other information you could provide me about comparing the 2 cities?
When you say nicer, what do you mean? What sort of qualities are you really looking for?

It would also help if you could advise what nationality you are; are you going there to teach English?

As to which is more western, well......all i can say is Shenzhen is more "westernized" in the sense that there would be plenty of western fast food outlets, Starbucks and so on....more shopping malls, more cinema theatres.

As for climate, actually, both cities have serious smog pollution problems; if you are a smoker, you need not buy cigarettes while there (half-serious).

Shenzhen is practically next door to Hong Kong, so in case you want to pop down to Hong kong, it should be relatively easy, if you can tolerate the daily human flood, it is close to 300,000, probably more people, crossing every day - it is crowded but fast.

Shenzhen is literally a mega-city, 15 million registered residents, probbaly more unregistered; while Hefei has an urban population of 7 million.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Shenzhen is a tier 1 city in China, while Hefei is tier 3.
Shenzhen is much warmer than Hefei in winter, like LA vs DC.
As a foreigner you should go to Shenzhen. Housing is expensive though.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Shenzhen is much warmer, therefore it gets the foadi stamp of approval.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Shenzhen is a tier 1 city in China, while Hefei is tier 3.
Shenzhen is much warmer than Hefei in winter, like LA vs DC.
As a foreigner you should go to Shenzhen. Housing is expensive though.
Ok, thank you for your input. Is 9000 rmb "enough" plus a 1000 rmb housing allowance to live decently in Shenzhen?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
When you say nicer, what do you mean? What sort of qualities are you really looking for?

It would also help if you could advise what nationality you are; are you going there to teach English?

As to which is more western, well......all i can say is Shenzhen is more "westernized" in the sense that there would be plenty of western fast food outlets, Starbucks and so on....more shopping malls, more cinema theatres.

As for climate, actually, both cities have serious smog pollution problems; if you are a smoker, you need not buy cigarettes while there (half-serious).

Shenzhen is practically next door to Hong Kong, so in case you want to pop down to Hong kong, it should be relatively easy, if you can tolerate the daily human flood, it is close to 300,000, probably more people, crossing every day - it is crowded but fast.

Shenzhen is literally a mega-city, 15 million registered residents, probbaly more unregistered; while Hefei has an urban population of 7 million.
I am American (mid 20's). And yes, going there to teach English. Will be my first time coming to China. I am looking for nice, friendly people I suppose, modern ammeneties, access to pharmacy, etc. . But also a population where a decent amount can speak english- as it will be big enough of a culture shock leaving everything familiar behind. Ofcourse this is part of what makes the experience enriching! But nonetheless, I think I would fare better to adjust to big changes incrementally.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't want to live on so little, but I am sure you could make it work. I think there are a few posters on here who teach in the PRD region and they could prolly give you advice on living expenses. PM 415_something (forgot the second part of his name). I think he's a teacher a couple cities up in Guangzhou, but he makes a bit more I think.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 PM

Are you just going to take a job offer online without ever actually having visited China? Why not go over to China first for a month or so and check it out? It's a nice country to visit. Will also find much better offers when you're over there I would assume.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Ok, thank you for your input. Is 9000 rmb "enough" plus a 1000 rmb housing allowance to live decently in Shenzhen?
9000 rmb is more than enough in any city in China, but of course you are not going to be "rich". In Shenzhen, college graduates make about 5000 on average. I would say it is like $3000 after tax in the US, in terms of percentile among all working people. But you will definitely save more in China.

You can't find a decent apartment with 1000 rmb in Shenzhen, but 2000 should do it. It depends on where you live. If you can find a roommate (better also a female expat) that'll be good for you too.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Are you just going to take a job offer online without ever actually having visited China? Why not go over to China first for a month or so and check it out? It's a nice country to visit. Will also find much better offers when you're over there I would assume.
I was told this as well. The problem is, I don't speak much mandarin-so how would I go about this? Just entering a language school and showing my resume? And what cities would be best to do this? Shenzhen? Or first tier like Shanghai and Beijing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia