Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times

Advertisements

I watch Russian road accidents on You Tube often. In many if most of those accidents, I see a lot of instances where people are just going way too fast. In others, weather is also a contributer, but again, partly because people are going way too fast. In many accidents, it is also obvious there was too much drinking going on. There is also very little lane discipline.

Today I happened across this video of Indian TAs, and I am at a total loss to understand why this is happening. In this video, the speeds do not seem at all excessive. The drivers seem to be well in control. But they also seem to make very bad decisions - often times turning directly in from of OBVIOUS on comming traffic as if they are just planning on suicide.

If you have lived in India, can you explain this driving behavior?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FbxBnarqM

Old 02-08-2015, 03:24 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,985,985 times
A lot of people probably drive without a license. How else can anyone make sense of so much madness?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:05 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
I am not indian, but I can see why there are crashes. First off, all big crossings need streetlights. Cars are coming close to 100 km/h and have very little reaction time.

But I can see why there are crashes
1. Due to the barrier, the car couldn't see the upcoming car.
2. Truck was in the wrong lane, and didn't check the blind zone.
3. Didn't look to the left to see if there is any traffic.
4. Didn't look to the right to see if there is any traffic
5. Misjudged and thought the car was further away
6. Didn't look to the left
7. High speed idiot driver
8. Bus was in the wrong lane, didn't check the blind zone
9. High speed idiot driver
10. High speed idiot driver

Most of these crashes happen, because they have poor driving skills and there are no street lights. With street lights 1,3,4,5,6,7,9 and 10 wouldn't have happened.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
I notice a lot of those accidents involve buses. They must have some seriously poor bus drivers over there, or a lot of them are high on something.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Not lived there but visited plenty of times. Simply enough, there are just no rules in India on driving. It's chaos, particularly in the big cities where you share the roads with scooters, auto-rickshaws, bikes, pedestrians, cattle, buffalo and horse driven carts, etc. Anything goes. Laws are rarely enforced. And "checking blind zones"? hahah, such a concept does not exist. They look forward, not back. It's the driver behind's responsibility to avoid the car that is pulling out in front of you or pulling into your lane.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,684 times
Congratulations to all the Darwin Price winners, you guys deserved it for displaying your lack of your self-preservation instinct, well done!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:06 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I watch Russian road accidents on You Tube often. In many if most of those accidents, I see a lot of instances where people are just going way too fast. In others, weather is also a contributer, but again, partly because people are going way too fast. In many accidents, it is also obvious there was too much drinking going on. There is also very little lane discipline.

Today I happened across this video of Indian TAs, and I am at a total loss to understand why this is happening. In this video, the speeds do not seem at all excessive. The drivers seem to be well in control. But they also seem to make very bad decisions - often times turning directly in from of OBVIOUS on comming traffic as if they are just planning on suicide.

If you have lived in India, can you explain this driving behavior?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FbxBnarqM
Because...it's a Third World country with people who do not follow traffic rules, and who are unfamiliar with operating machines?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Because...it's a Third World country with people who do not follow traffic rules, and who are unfamiliar with operating machines?
From what I hear, Italy isn't much better.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
I was just in India this summer. I was trying to get up to the edge of the Himalayan massifs in Uttarakhand and had to stop a few hundred km short of my destination after the first public bus up the foothills. I was nearly in tears stepping off the bus wanting to tell my family and friends I love them. Absolutely terrifying peeling around a mountain with the way people drive, the terrain and the road conditions up there.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,766 times
Indian roads conditions in this time is much better than previous years specially highways. It also belongs to NHAI and the quality of raw material tested and qualify the criteria in all manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia