Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,644,236 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I will have 11 hour layover in Tokyo later this year. We will also have to switch between airports. So we will want to see as much as possible. We have done this before. We previously had a 7 hour layover in London, where we had lunch, dinner and saw a bunch of stuff.

We would like to do some sightseeing, but not the super touristy areas. More off the beaten path things. Like last time, I was there, I basically stumbled upon this cool monastery looking thing, which was on a hilltop and you had to walk up a ton of stairs to get there.

We basically want to see cool areas with small shops/restaurants, cool parks and tea gardens. We would also definitely want to see where throngs of people go. What do you recommend?

We love walking, seeing parks and just acting like we are locals. Last time I was there for work, I basically would ride the subway and every time a lot of people got off, I got off, too, walked around for 30-45 mins and then got on the subway again.

Another example of the experience we are looking for - I was in Taipei by myself 2 years ago for work and had a day off. In one day, I walked 10 miles. I saw change of the guard at the Li Kai Sheng palace, the Taiwanese National History Museum, Botanical Gardens, two parks, many neighborhoods and the night market. I didn't know any of these things existed. I just kept walking around and stumbled upon stuff and also looked at my map.

Oh yeah, we LOVE walking.

We will have no luggage, just a backpack.

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,285,511 times
Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Yoyogi Park...they are all relatively close to together as well. They are the busy, popular areas with tons to see and do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia