Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

In my travels in Asia, I've noticed that you see very little that's old compared to places in Europe, the Middle East, or even Latin America. You basically have a spectrum which runs from brand-spanking-new highises to grimy buildings which look to date from the 1950s at the earliest, with very little left from an earlier time.

Now, I know that much of Asia urbanized far, far later than Europe. But I still wonder if there's anything on a smaller scale like the old city of Dubrovnik - a dense, intimate, and walkable urban core which has been protected from redevelopment.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not talking about temples or things like the Forbidden City in Beijing. I'm talking about places people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 AM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Depends on how you define historic. Lots of cities have historic cores left over from the old colonial days.

Malacca, Malayasia

Georgetown, Malaysia

Macau

Shanghai

And then there are places like

Lhasa

Kyoto

Even Beijing still has some of the old hutongs

Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Not East or Southeast Asia, but:

Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...otel-white.jpg

Victoria Memorial in Kolkata, India

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/imag...4c72aec8f1.jpg

These are of course leftovers from the British during the Raj in the 19th and 20th centuries. I don't know if any native South Asian things besides temples still sit in any city centres that I know of. To be honest, I don't even know what that would look like, though.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In my travels in Asia, I've noticed that you see very little that's old compared to places in Europe, the Middle East, or even Latin America. You basically have a spectrum which runs from brand-spanking-new highises to grimy buildings which look to date from the 1950s at the earliest, with very little left from an earlier time.

Now, I know that much of Asia urbanized far, far later than Europe. But I still wonder if there's anything on a smaller scale like the old city of Dubrovnik - a dense, intimate, and walkable urban core which has been protected from redevelopment.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not talking about temples or things like the Forbidden City in Beijing. I'm talking about places people live.
Where did you go? South Korea, which was destroyed by the Korean War in the 1950s? Or Hiroshima which was destroyed by a nuclear bomb? Or some Japan cities that were destroyed by earthquakes (like Kobe) and rebuilt up?

Asia is absolutely filled with old, dense, intimate, walkable urban cores all over the place.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Shanghai has a lot of buildings (in use ) from 100 years ago or earlier. Probably no other city in the far east.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:09 AM

372 posts, read 1,007,041 times
in Indonesia there are a lot of Dutch heritage buildings in our country especially buildings during the reign of Dutch colonial . oh I just found out that the history of the city of Jakarta is Japan who had been give the name " Jakarta / Djakarta " which had previously been named the Batavia city..

Colonial Buildings ( JAKARTA )

List of colonial buildings and structures in Jakarta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia | REDTOP Hotel & Convention Center Jakarta

Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
There are tons of colonial buildings throughout Asia.....everywhere. So, I'm a bit compared the OP mentioned in comparison to South America.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Maybe Qingdao has a German district? I've heard good things about that city, like the most pleasant city in China and whatnot.

Many Japanese cities have historic cities. Nara, Kyoto, Kamakura etc.

Jiufen here is more or less an old town(?) too.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:05 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Great photos everybody! I'm particularly entranced by the picture of Jiufen (above).

Old 03-20-2015, 10:51 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
^That picture is really good photography, it usually doesn't look this good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia