Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You seem to have a lot of stereotypes.
Many young Chinese with rich parents are still well-educated and well-behaved. The same as in all other countries.

In the past, westerners spread all over the world and took advantages of locals. Now some Chinese do that. No big deal.
He's not stereotyping this a problem with the kids of Chinese Officials violating the law and there parents making sure they don't get in trouble for it in China. He's right that won't fly in the US and these kids will be in for a rude awakening if they try that here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
He's not stereotyping this a problem with the kids of Chinese Officials violating the law and there parents making sure they don't get in trouble for it in China. He's right that won't fly in the US and these kids will be in for a rude awakening if they try that here.

I was saying many kids from wealthy families behave well and cause no trouble. Of course you can find counter examples too.
Do you really believe kids from poor families behave better, on average?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 AM

653 posts, read 743,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You seem to have a lot of stereotypes.
Many young Chinese with rich parents are still well-educated and well-behaved. The same as in all other countries.

In the past, westerners spread all over the world and took advantages of locals. Now some Chinese do that. No big deal.
Based on my own personal experience with the Fu Er Dai, there is virtually no link between education and behaviour.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
I live in Los Angeles and we had a rich Chinese international USC grad student as an intern last summer and she would drive her Tesla to work. She was really nice and wanted my company to sponsor her by hiring her but we did not. Many of my co-workers said that she wanted to be sponsored so she could stay in the USA after finishing grad school and not because she needed a job. She was HOT though.
pics or it didnt happen.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:08 PM

166 posts, read 278,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
pics or it didnt happen.
seconded

Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM

166 posts, read 278,419 times
Also, as someone who's lived in China and taught the sons and daughters of millionaires:

I find that there are 2 kinds of rich in China (and maybe this is true all around the world): those who are and have been politically connected up the wazoo and/or are still involved politically in the CCP AND the nouveau riche who made their fortunes within the past 2 or 3 decades.

The latter are usually former peasant/lower class and have a chip on their shoulder and as a result that they are always trying to knock off through their gratuitous displays of wealth. Their kids would show up to class in bright neon Lamborghinis, rarely studied, and dropped $3K USD at clubs just to brag about it.

The kids of high-ranking politburo members, however, were always well-mannered, courteous, and hesitant to flaunt their wealth. Their parents reminded me of the English nobility of the 19th century: intelligent, naturally high-class in their manners, strict with their kids, and constantly paying attention to their public image.

But I guess this could apply to men and women of any race.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Also, as someone who's lived in China and taught the sons and daughters of millionaires:

I find that there are 2 kinds of rich in China (and maybe this is true all around the world): those who are and have been politically connected up the wazoo and/or are still involved politically in the CCP AND the nouveau riche who made their fortunes within the past 2 or 3 decades.

The latter are usually former peasant/lower class and have a chip on their shoulder and as a result that they are always trying to knock off through their gratuitous displays of wealth. Their kids would show up to class in bright neon Lamborghinis, rarely studied, and dropped $3K USD at clubs just to brag about it.

The kids of high-ranking politburo members, however, were always well-mannered, courteous, and hesitant to flaunt their wealth. Their parents reminded me of the English nobility of the 19th century: intelligent, naturally high-class in their manners, strict with their kids, and constantly paying attention to their public image.

But I guess this could apply to men and women of any race.
It's true that rich Chinese are either politically privileged or business people with little education. Educated but powerless people tend to stick to their government-assigned jobs and can never be rich. But they can have a decent life, much better than the lower class who do not succeed.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Let's hope that the Chinese settling into Arcadia, Monterrey Park and other parts of East L.A. won't be so opposed to higher-density development like the west side of L.A.!

Gee whiz! Santa Monica is all but having a heart attack over the idea of a 21 story condo building being erected in their city, first high rise to be built since 1970!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia