Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,877,218 times

Advertisements

Reading the Asia forum, I come across two common stereotypes:

1. Many Filipinas want to enter into a sham marriage with an American man so they can leave the Philippines and fleece the man of his money.

2. Many American men are creeps who want to marry a Filipina so that he can turn her into a servant and sex slave.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM

12,493 posts, read 8,273,579 times
To be fair variations of the theme are stated in any case were a woman is from the so-called Third World and the man from the assumed first world. The Philippines just happens to be the place in Asia where most of the population has been raised in complimentary culture and religion and most have English language skills.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,802,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
To be fair variations of the theme are stated in any case were a woman is from the so-called Third World and the man from the assumed first world. The Philippines just happens to be the place in Asia where most of the population has been raised in complimentary culture and religion and most have English language skills.
It seems their parents have no issue either?
Most parents in other Asian countries hate their children marrying foreigners.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,346,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It seems their parents have no issue either?
Most parents in other Asian countries hate their children marrying foreigners.
In the Philippines, they don't mind at all. It depends greatly on the country.

I think in countries like Korea, they grow up xenophobic and distrust of others...probably based on their own history with Japan/China.

But, in the Philippines, its no problem at all. Its quite common to see Filipina parents even trying to be a matchmaker with a foreigner. Mostly because they assume their daughter will have a better life than marrying local. That and they believe that they will have have incredibly beautiful kids.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,025,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In the Philippines, they don't mind at all. It depends greatly on the country.

I think in countries like Korea, they grow up xenophobic and distrust of others...probably based on their own history with Japan/China.

But, in the Philippines, its no problem at all. Its quite common to see Filipina parents even trying to be a matchmaker with a foreigner. Mostly because they assume their daughter will have a better life than marrying local. That and they believe that they will have have incredibly beautiful kids.
I think you're missing one thing, and probably a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Philippines was ruled by Spain for roughly 400 years, plus 50 by the US. Coupled with the fact that the Spanish exported their racial hierarchical system to the Philippines, where "white is right, East Asian is ok"; is it any wonder that marrying foreigners, especially Caucasian foreigners, is deemed socially acceptable in the Philippines? This is not the case in the rest of Asia. No other culture in Asia has had so much European influence hoisted upon it than the Philippines

Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,524,541 times
This is why the pinoys should return to the pagan ways and rename their country something other than being the subjects of king phillip on spain.

Make the food spicier too. How is it that a country next to malaysia and indonesia has such bland food?

Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,346,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think you're missing one thing, and probably a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Philippines was ruled by Spain for roughly 400 years, plus 50 by the US. Coupled with the fact that the Spanish exported their racial hierarchical system to the Philippines, where "white is right, East Asian is ok"; is it any wonder that marrying foreigners, especially Caucasian foreigners, is deemed socially acceptable in the Philippines? This is not the case in the rest of Asia. No other culture in Asia has had so much European influence hoisted upon it than the Philippines
Thai people like Europeans as well

Old 03-27-2015, 02:11 AM

750 posts, read 646,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Reading the Asia forum, I come across two common stereotypes:

1. Many Filipinas want to enter into a sham marriage with an American man so they can leave the Philippines and fleece the man of his money.

2. Many American men are creeps who want to marry a Filipina so that he can turn her into a servant and sex slave.
That is a tad of a stretch.

Many Filipinas just want to provide a better life for their family / kids. Not "fleece" a man for all his money.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,924,051 times
Quote:
Not so much. Hookers don't count. It would be better to say that Thai people don't hate Europeans. Thai people are okay with European people. But all things equal, they don't choose them over their own people in droves. Lighter skin is preferable, but they'll take a K-pop looking Thai man over a farang anyday. And maybe it's the whole Buddhist thing, I don't know, but Thais are just more likely to outmarry than other Asians, but not as a preference, as much as they just don't discriminate. Whether farang, Chinese, or Japanese, Cambodian, or anything else. Even then, most Thais aren't looking to leave Thailand. In comparison to other Asian countries, it may seem like a preference, but it's really just a lack of aversion.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,025,365 times
Quote:
Hookers don't really count they'll like anyone with a fat wallet. All kidding aside, ehhh...if the Thais in my university are any indication, I'm not really seeing that. There's one that I've talked to before that mostly hangs out with my Vietnamese friends. I'm probably the only American she's ever talked to, and I don't have anything to say really. And she doesn't look like one of those Thais that hangs out with foreigners at moon parties either so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia