Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Delhi could make the leap into a world class city in our lifetimes?
Yes 7 46.67%
No 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,020,437 times

Advertisements

I have been to Delhi before, actually quite a few times and it is by far and away one of my top 3-4 least favorite cities in the world (along with Sydney, Cairo, and Philadelphia).

This sounds awesome though, the fact that people there want to improve it. I hope they do, someone needs to save that city from entering a dark abyss of misery, pollution, and congestion.
Quote:
Identifying pollution, solid waste management and traffic as major challenges facing Delhi, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today said his government was looking for “ideas and partnership” to transform the capital into one of the best cities in the world.
Kejriwal said this to US Ambassador Richard Verma when he called on the Chief Minister at Delhi Secretariat.
In the meeting, where a range of issues figured, Kejriwal termed corruption a “national problem” and said it was taking place at all levels.
Expressing commitment to address various problems facing Delhi, he said people have entrusted a huge responsibility on AAP government and it would do everything possible to meet their expectations.
Determined to make Delhi world-class city: Arvind Kejriwal | The Financial Express

Share your thoughts. Do you think Delhi could make the leap into a world class city in our lifetimes?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-03-2015 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:31 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,787,663 times
Will it happen? I think so, but not in our lifetime.

It takes an awful lot of time to turn around a city and make it "world class", not to mention from a poor state without even decent road infrastructure.

I think the goal should be livable city first, then talk about world class.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,558,222 times
I've been to Delhi and that place really is a mess.

Anything is possible, but this isn't even the best contender for India by quite a margin. It has absolutely one of the worst climates of any large metropolitan area I can think of. Its centre isn't even nice, and there is large uncontrolled, unplanned, and decrepit planning and infrastructure everywhere. The pollution leaves you with black tar in your mouth and nose after spending maybe three hours outdoors.

And when I say the climate is a hindrance to it being 'world class', an elitist term I feel really uncomfortable using in general, I do mean it is really bad. Up until Monsoon from April, the heat is unreal. Over 40C practically every day. I went to visit this Iranian-Canadian designed thing, The Lotus Temple, I really wanted to see one day in May of last year. I stepped out of the Metro station and could clearly see it about less than a half kilometre away, and I just turned around and went back into the metro. It was just too hot. It goes from that, to months of heavy precipitation and lesser heat, to 'okayish', then quite cold - pretty much all in equal parts.

Very interesting place, though. And the metro is actually pretty great.

Last edited by Jesse44; 05-05-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,474,348 times
What about Mumbai, How does it compare to Delhi?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What about Mumbai, How does it compare to Delhi?
I've never been to Mumbai, but it's for sure more suited to hit this mark than Delhi is. Actually, apparently some of the world's most expensive properties are located within Mumbai, and it is already the go-to place for India's pop culture icons...

Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I've never been to Mumbai, but it's for sure more suited to hit this mark than Delhi is. Actually, apparently some of the world's most expensive properties are located within Mumbai, and it is already the go-to place for India's pop culture icons...
Mumbai's high property price is due to draconian supply shortage (height limit). Nothing to do with the city's attractiveness or world-classness.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Mumbai's high property price is due to draconian supply shortage (height limit). Nothing to do with the city's attractiveness or world-classness.
I know, but if you had to pick one that were more likely to reach some sort of international 'bourgeois' status, I just think Mumbai would have more of the tools necessary to work towards that. But that's all relative and it's probably a longshot for either.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:23 AM

227 posts, read 331,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I know, but if you had to pick one that were more likely to reach some sort of international 'bourgeois' status, I just think Mumbai would have more of the tools necessary to work towards that. But that's all relative and it's probably a longshot for either.
You have to visit both the cities to make a statement like it.
Yes, Mumbai is the financial capital of the country and boasts of one of the most expensive real estate. and i personally love Mumbai. I lived there couple of years as a single girl and was amazed by how safe it is (as compared to delhi), access to easy public transport and overall job opportunities. But i would call it being way far from world class!
Its too crowded. People hanging out of the local trains is a common sight, matchbox houses. Family of 6 crammed in a 1 bedroom house which is still crazy expensive. Maddening traffic, a mile on the freeway takes about 30 mins.

Delhi on the other hand does feel closer to being called 'world class' than mumbai. Less traffic than Mumbai, Metros have been a boon, wider roads and the suburbs Gurgaon, Noida offering Delhi like ammenities. Mumbai on the other hand being locked by water on 3 sides has a limitation of being unexpandable and things are just piling on top.

Regarding weather, come on! NYC has freezing winters but that does not take away the charm of the city. Another example is Dubai, which is over 50C half of the year. Weather is uncontroable and in my opinion does not impact the ability of a city to be world class.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagreen10 View Post
You have to visit both the cities to make a statement like it.
Yes, Mumbai is the financial capital of the country and boasts of one of the most expensive real estate. and i personally love Mumbai. I lived there couple of years as a single girl and was amazed by how safe it is (as compared to delhi), access to easy public transport and overall job opportunities. But i would call it being way far from world class!
Its too crowded. People hanging out of the local trains is a common sight, matchbox houses. Family of 6 crammed in a 1 bedroom house which is still crazy expensive. Maddening traffic, a mile on the freeway takes about 30 mins.

Delhi on the other hand does feel closer to being called 'world class' than mumbai. Less traffic than Mumbai, Metros have been a boon, wider roads and the suburbs Gurgaon, Noida offering Delhi like ammenities. Mumbai on the other hand being locked by water on 3 sides has a limitation of being unexpandable and things are just piling on top.

Regarding weather, come on! NYC has freezing winters but that does not take away the charm of the city. Another example is Dubai, which is over 50C half of the year. Weather is uncontroable and in my opinion does not impact the ability of a city to be world class.
But I feel as though Mumbai has some sort of character attached to it that it can turn something into, whereas Delhi is just kind of faceless and bureaucratic in feeling.

I knew someone was going to take a cold North American or European city as a comparison basis for what I said about Delhi's climate but it's really totally something else. Cold sucks, but you can stay inside and deal with it or layer up, but heat over 40C is something you can't really rearrange for at all. It's hot inside, outside, and it kicks up a crazy dust and haze storm. You feel disgusting at all times. Cold doesn't have the same effect.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,524,541 times
Bukhara Restaurant in Delhi, North West Frontier Cuisine - ITC Hotels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia