Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:03 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times

Advertisements

Look into the JET program. Japan actually looks for diversity when courting English teachers, so I don't think you'll have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
I think ur dreads will be fine. It might be good to kinda "pull them back" when you make ur first appearance. Like in a loose ponytail type of style.... just at first.
I personally think dreads look great on most people who maintain them and dont let them become matted and smashed looking.

Japan is a very traditional society, despite all of it's modernity. Being African American with dreads should not bar u from a job teaching English, just keep in mind u want to present urself as a professional, first. And u want ur hair to not necessarily make any statements or be the main focus of ur identity. Focus on ur education, your qualifications, ur mastery of the English language and ur rapport in the classroom.... not ur hair.

I have witnessed first hand African American girls with braids/dreads teach english, no men tho.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,595 times
I've known black men living in Japan who had dreads, but I'm not familiar with the English teaching system. If it's neat and maintained well, you might not run into a problem.

Just my observation, but I've noticed Japan is less welcoming to beards actually. Of all the fashion trends popular in the West today, heavy beard growth didn't catch on in Japan, and most foreigners don't have them either.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I think dreads are fine, and Japanese English schools may be looking for diversity, but I think a clean cut appearance would be a real asset to finding a position.

The Japanese may find the appearance of dreadlocks interesting, but balk at having a teacher sporting the look.

I am not intimately familiar with the dynamics of intercultural human resources in Japan, however, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Nice to read that dreadlocks will likely be fine there. But FYI, you may want to remove your personal info from the forum.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:09 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,418 times
I think it would be ok. Tattoos would be a much bigger issue in Japan and Korea than anything else.

- not an English teacher.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:12 PM

48 posts, read 65,222 times
I lived in Japan for 8 years, and one of the guys I went to college with in Tokyo was african american and had dreads no problem. You probably want to stick to Osaka/Tokyo instead of tiny little places in the country side will likely be more accepting.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Can I teach English in Japan with Dreadlocks

Textbooks work better.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:23 PM

349 posts, read 488,519 times
There are many youtube vids by African Americans teaching English in Japan. I'm sure they'd be able to give you advice. I don't think it would be a huge thing, but I can't say for sure. It's probably not as bad as having tattoos or a lot of piercings. Having tattoos in Japan is associated with being a thug and a criminal.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 AM

48 posts, read 65,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Having tattoos in Japan is associated with being a thug and a criminal.
First of all they don't really equate it with being a thug as much as specifically a member of the Japanese Mafia (the Yakuza)

However, this is all really changing. If I would have to compare it to something here in the US I would put it with gay acceptance here right now. You'll find more resistance to it in the rural areas then the urban. But more so then anything, it is not a big deal to the younger kids, where it is the older generation still held up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia