Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,202,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Mexico is just as far to the Philippines as Spain.
Think of a sailing ship and straits controlled by potential billegerant nations. Not as the crow flies straight lines when calculating distances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:35 AM

750 posts, read 645,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
westernized, yes. thats the correct term but not hispanic. the only thing Filipinos share with the hispanics or latinos is the Roman Catholicism
Noep. Demeanor and personality and culture. Well its much more similar compared to Filipinos and Koreans.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
May I know where you got your information? Referencing the author, date and book?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:44 PM

546 posts, read 571,834 times
More information here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_Asian

Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacorp View Post
May I know where you got your information? Referencing the author, date and book?
I already qouted one.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I live in California so I know what im talking about. I even see bananas in some houses in Orange County so don't insist that you need greenhouse to grow tropical vegetables

and who told you that we don't consider ourselves as Asians? only a small percentage of the population has Spanish roots
California is also culturally closer to Filipinos, in that Manila Galleons from the West Pacific used to pass by California when they arrive at the West Pacific before settling in Acapulco, Mexico.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:34 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,029,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So? Another four hours by airplane, and you can be on the east coast of the US. If you've already done Philippines to California that extra bit isn't much.
Naïve - and demonstrates little understanding of the way the world - demographics work.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times
Quote:
I am Filipino and I appreciate the West influence on us particularly democracy and universal education. we have always been free and love freedom and will always fight for it. that's why I don't look at much with the Chinese who despite their thousand years civilization can not still express what they really want. they still allow themselves to be ruled upon by a select few.

although the Philippines is still run like a feudal state, I am hopeful it can right the ship to a prosperous future
But the Phillipines even today as it was back even before the colonial era and the arrival of Spain has a strong chinese influence at the institutional level.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times
And the filipinos that were brought over to Mexico in the OP, were they native filipinos or the chinese who were living on the island?

Old 07-24-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And the filipinos that were brought over to Mexico in the OP, were they native filipinos or the chinese who were living on the island?
They were native Filipinos. However during that time, all Asians were called Chino in Mexico. It doesn't make a difference whether one came from China, India or the Philippines, as long as you were Asian you were called Chino.

It was also the same thing in the Philippines. All Latinos were called Americano, whether one was from Mexico or Peru one was still called an Americano.

So to answer your question, they would all be treated as Chinese although the majority of the migrants were Filipinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia