Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:54 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashAcid View Post
To the posters in this thread:

Out of curiosity, how did you become exposed to K-Dramas or K-Pop? I am Korean-American and I rarely if ever hear mention of K-Dramas or K-Pop (other than Psy) by major media outlets. So it is always a surprise to me when non-Koreans are fans of Korean cultural exports. I'm also over 30 so that probably has a lot to do with it as well.
I was on Hulu looking for a show to watch on my iPad so I clicked on genres saw the Korean dramas and it just so happened that Faith was the first one I saw. The description sounded awesome and I wasn't disappointed! Haven't been able to stop watching them since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
My husband loves anime, and subscribed to an online channel. They also had some dramas (this was years ago) and he checked them out. He watched City Hunter while I was cruising around the house doing chores, I sat down to watch for just a few minutes, and now years later I'm hooked. One drama led to another, then a search through Netflix had even more. He loves all dramas (chinese, taiwanese, philipino, etc), but I don't really get into those. I'm strictly a "korean" person.

We've always loved foreign movies, Indian, Japanese and Korean especially, but hadn't really considered dramas until City Hunter. Now we rarely watch American TV or movies anymore.
Have you watched the movie Chocolate? Not to be confused with Chocolat.... It is a Taiwanese movie I believe but it is amazing. If you like a touching story with romance and martial arts, you will love it.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:26 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Have you watched the movie Chocolate? Not to be confused with Chocolat.... It is a Taiwanese movie I believe but it is amazing. If you like a touching story with romance and martial arts, you will love it.
I'll look for it. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2015, 04:20 PM

672 posts, read 698,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashAcid View Post
To the posters in this thread:

Out of curiosity, how did you become exposed to K-Dramas or K-Pop? I am Korean-American and I rarely if ever hear mention of K-Dramas or K-Pop (other than Psy) by major media outlets. So it is always a surprise to me when non-Koreans are fans of Korean cultural exports. I'm also over 30 so that probably has a lot to do with it as well.
I stumbled on k drama's through netflix. It was in my suggestions based on me watching some bollywood films. I watched one, was surprised at the production quality, and the rest is history. They make for good marathon sessions on an otherwise empty day. Prior to this I had little knowledge or interest in Korea/Korean culture.

I like that each show is like a short story in that it has a intro, climax, and ending wrapped up in a reasonable time frame. Many American shows drag on for to long and have a climax every season and eventually ends up on life support story line wise once the show starts to lose ratings. Not to say that there aren't bad k drama shows either. I found/find some things a bit cheesy as many of them seemed more geared to a female audience. Although it's not to the point of not being enjoyable to watch or relate.

I have no interest in k pop though. It looks like teenagers are the targeted audience group for that. I'm in my late twenties. From my perspective, it seems that the singing group craze pretty much faded out in the early 2000's in the U.S. I don't think k pop has the same foreign potential long term as Korean dramas do.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Reviving the kdrama thread here. Netflix has added so many new kdramas, I am really pleased. Watching Peninsula but it got a bit too close to reality with North Korean news lately. I use Hulu and Dramafever to watch.

What other networks are you finding kdramas on?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Among the more recent ones, I recommend you all to watch "Whisper." Very different to the typical cheesy soap opera stuff if you're over it (They're just not my cup of tea!).

Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Reviving the kdrama thread here. Netflix has added so many new kdramas, I am really pleased. Watching Peninsula but it got a bit too close to reality with North Korean news lately. I use Hulu and Dramafever to watch.

What other networks are you finding kdramas on?
So many good ones on right now.

Fight My Way
Chicago Typewriter
Suspicious Partner
My Sassy Girl
7 Day Queen
Circle
Lookout

Just finished:

Tunnel
Queen of Mystery
Radiant Office

Mostly watch on DramaFever and Viki, with some on Hulu and Netflix.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:18 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,143 times
What are your favorites?

Mine are: Coffee Prince
Pasta
Playful Kiss
You're Beautiful
Inheritance
Secret Garden
City Hunter
Soul Mate
Gentlemens dignity
My Girl
My Girl is a Nine Tailed Fox
49 Days
Arang and the Magistrate
Marry Stayed out All Night
Boys over Flowers
Greatest Love
It's ok, that's love
The Masters Son
Roof Top Prince
Jealousy Incarnate
My Love from Another Star
Healer
City Hunter
Faith
Kill me, Heal me
Goblin
Oh My Ghostess
Lee Soon Shin
Uncontrollably Fond
Pinocchio
Good Doctor
Squad 38
Oh My Venus
Hong Gil Dong (Old one)
Rebel (New One)
Heirs
Legend of the Blue Sea
Goblin
Strong Woman
Descendants of the Sun
Cheese in the trap
Lucky Romance
All the Flower Boy series dramas
W
Big
Heart Strings
Goong
Defendant

I'm sure I've forgot a few. Looking at my list I watch a lot of Kdrama. lol

I watch DF, Viki, and hard to find on random sites.

Currently watching or just finished: Tunnel, Love in Trouble, Circle, Ruler, and Lookout

How I got into them - my mom is half Korean and watched them, she thought it made you pure. lol Better than violent shows. I got use to them and now it's hard to get the same feeling from other programs. I try but it's hard to stop.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So many good ones on right now.

Fight My Way
Chicago Typewriter
Suspicious Partner
My Sassy Girl
7 Day Queen
Circle
Lookout

Just finished:

Tunnel
Queen of Mystery
Radiant Office

Mostly watch on DramaFever and Viki, with some on Hulu and Netflix.
I'm really liking "Love in Trouble" but I really liked Healer and since then watch all the dramas with Ji Chang Wook. I just finished K2.

He's so good at Romance.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Among the more recent ones, I recommend you all to watch "Whisper." Very different to the typical cheesy soap opera stuff if you're over it (They're just not my cup of tea!).
If you like Whisper you'd like Voice, and Defendant. Both so good and not typical Dramas. A bit graphic though so just a warning. I just started Whisper. Thanks for the recommend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia