Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:05 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,905 times

Advertisements

No, a different time a different age. I don't trust these countries to build solid foundations on which a fair society will evolve. Europe will always be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:09 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
"Democracy is the worst form of government!
Except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
-Winston Churchill, 1947

India is simply where China was about ten or fifteen years ago. They get there act together and watch out, the potential is there to be a world class power.
No, not even close. Go and see. Even simpler, take a look at some videos and pics. There's a biger gap than just a decade, buddy.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
You certainly love american democracy. I'm sure PRC Authoratarism will treat you even better.

Yeah, It proves that democracy does not work everywhere. I love American democracy because it's been a success for people like me. Indian democracy is a gigantic failure so far, and its been more than 6 or 7 decades.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:17 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
No, a different time a different age. I don't trust these countries to build solid foundations on which a fair society will evolve. Europe will always be better.
This is exactly what happened before Europe and North America emerged as "fair societies". To ignore that similarity, or to pretend its different since it happened earlier in history is arrogant to say the least. It's the ugly truth, and industrializing Britain (for example) probably doesn't hold much, if any, moral high ground next to China or India now.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, It proves that democracy does not work everywhere. Indian democracy is a gigantic failure so far, and its been more than 6 or 7 decades.
Seems to work just fine. Taiwan seems to be able to handle it. So does Japan and south korea. Don't see how indian democracy is a failure. It may not be clean but there are parts of china that are just as dirty, undeveloped, and polluted. Lets not forget about Bird flu and SARS. That comes straight form the PRC and Its better than living under islamic law and the maoists and communists didn't seem to be able to do anything for india.

Moderator cut: -

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-01-2015 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic not other posters

Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
I've seen the worst!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,905 times
Sorry Ontario, no I`m not arrogant its my opinion, if you think India and China deserve their stint at a modern gleaming society you are naïve. In Britain, I guess you haven't been here, the national trust was set up to protect vast areas of Britain from industry , a lot of industrialists built whole estates with gardens for their workers ( Cadbury, Port Sunlight ect), there were millions of miles of free footpaths all over the country to walk, still is, sure there were bad times, but our foundations have been laboured over centuries. All its done is create more poverty and destruction and pollution, this is 2015, not 1780, they want instant development, doesn't happen that way. When the world is going one way these holes want to go another.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
I concur with England Dan. France as the equivalent of the National Trust with the Conservatoire du Littoral , Germany , NABU, Italy has wonderful national parks, Poland the Bielowezya forest where bisons roam freely whereas in Africa 's national parks the wildlife is exterminated , either to sell rhino horns to the Chinese as aphrodisiac, or elephant's ivory, or for "bush meat". The excuse of poverty won't hold indefinitely.
Europe is the Mother of Arts, Science, Culture ,parliamentary Democracy (Magna Charta)and individual rights(Habeas Corpus). Third world countries are still very far from their development index, and the chasm instead of diminishing, seems to increase, with the folly of ISIS in the Middle East, Boko Haram in Africa, piracy off Somalia, and general violence increasing in a downwards spiral, hell! when they can people of these countries try to escape the nightmare and flee massively to Europe and North America , the loathed former colonialists.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
Do you honestly think China and India don't have well protected parks? You don't seem to realize either that the the wealth of Western Europe and elsewhere came at the expense of places like India being environmentally and social raped. The British are largely responsible for overhunting tigers down to near nil in South Asia. The Partitioning? The Belgians in the Congo? Spanish mining North and South America? Really, how are these societies morally superior? They just did this stuff first, so now we don't utterly depend on the same kind of pillaging that other places partake in now.

Really, industrialization is ugly. I'm not defending what kind of stuff goes down in India or China, but it's really probably not all that different from what many of today's super developed countries once went through. Yeah, it's a different time, it's the 21st century, but it's difficult to skip that phase altogether and jump into solid labour laws and protection. It's not right, it's horrible, but it is the truth. The CPR in Canada was built by basically slaves 200 hundred years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia