Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I got your point now, and don't know people who are not tolerate of hot food but can enjoy extremely hot food, other than Koreans, especially Korean men.

Hmm... I might know what those Koreans do. What did you do every weekend when you were a college student? For me, go out and get drunk. If I could drink more than others, then I thought I was a man, lol.
Ain't that the truth. I recall not long after I moved here to China, I was at a bar with many Africans, Middle Easterners, and Latin Americans... after a number of beers, I chugged four bottles of Tabasco sauce and drank a jar of Guilin pepper sauce to prove my tolerance for heat, which of course was really just a measure of "manliness." Lots of pats on the back and selfies with guys who were flabbergasted, and probably thinking to themselves, "better your stomach than mine..." :X

Even as someone with a superhuman tolerance for spiciness, I never really understood why it was considered "manly." I just like hot food because I like hot food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,955 times
I am not much aware about other countries but Indian and Thai people are most tolerant of spicy food, especially for their curries and snacks.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 PM

919 posts, read 839,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Ain't that the truth. I recall not long after I moved here to China, I was at a bar with many Africans, Middle Easterners, and Latin Americans... after a number of beers, I chugged four bottles of Tabasco sauce and drank a jar of Guilin pepper sauce to prove my tolerance for heat, which of course was really just a measure of "manliness." Lots of pats on the back and selfies with guys who were flabbergasted, and probably thinking to themselves, "better your stomach than mine..." :X

Even as someone with a superhuman tolerance for spiciness, I never really understood why it was considered "manly." I just like hot food because I like hot food
LOL!

Men tend to be more extreme than women. Here I am thinking of serial killers, philosophers, politicians, and so on.

That's why we, or men, think one who can go extreme is a man. How stupid are we?

Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I'd also say that Thais and Koreans can eat very spicy foods, while Japanese and Filipinos usually are not fond of spicy foods.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I'd also say that Thais and Koreans can eat very spicy foods, while Japanese and Filipinos usually are not fond of spicy foods.
Taishanese dont really eat any spicey hot foods either, maybe just a little bit of chili oil on the dim sum.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,696 times
In general, wealthier coastal areas in China eat less spicy food. But if the region is inland, less prosperous and has a drier/wetter climate, then the people there tend to eat spicier food. Let's take eastern China for an example. Places like Shanghai, Ningbo or Suzhou don't eat much spicy food (aside from the popularity of Sichuanese cuisine). But if you go inland to southern Anhui or southwestern Zhejiang the cuisine there can be hot and spicy like as in Jiangxi, Hunan and Sichuan. Same reason why northwestern Chinese cuisine is also quite spicy.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 PM

97 posts, read 118,818 times
I have no clue, but all I know is that some Sichuan restaurants I've been to (in California and Hong Kong) felt like I was breathing fire. Almost everything had large amounts of chili peppers in it. Soups were blanketed with a sea of redness. Actually it's so hot it makes my lips numb.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:39 PM

440 posts, read 661,886 times
Most overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia and the West do not eat much spicy food. As most of them originated from Shanghai, Fujian, Taiwan, Guangdong, Hainan and Hong Kong, where traditionally the food there are not spicy. Recent trend of more spiciness in the overseas Chinese community are due to new influence from inland China and the Southeast Asians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goujian View Post
In general, wealthier coastal areas in China eat less spicy food. But if the region is inland, less prosperous and has a drier/wetter climate, then the people there tend to eat spicier food. Let's take eastern China for an example. Places like Shanghai, Ningbo or Suzhou don't eat much spicy food (aside from the popularity of Sichuanese cuisine). But if you go inland to southern Anhui or southwestern Zhejiang the cuisine there can be hot and spicy like as in Jiangxi, Hunan and Sichuan. Same reason why northwestern Chinese cuisine is also quite spicy.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingyman View Post
I have no clue, but all I know is that some Sichuan restaurants I've been to (in California and Hong Kong) felt like I was breathing fire. Almost everything had large amounts of chili peppers in it. Soups were blanketed with a sea of redness. Actually it's so hot it makes my lips numb.
What makes your lips numb is actually Sichuan peppercorn, which is found in Indian food too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_pepper

When I came to the US years ago, we were not allowed to bring it in because it was considered a drug (now it is ok).

Old 09-05-2015, 12:04 AM

27 posts, read 45,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Laos should be bumped up right behind or on par with Thailand, IMO.

The issan reign of Thailand is heavily ethnically Lao anyway.

Korean food is not spicy at all IMHO...but Japan would be the absolute lowest. (Not that they are bad - I highly enjoy both but they are not spicy.)
you mean Lao is heavily influenced by Isan region, right? How comes it's Lao food when they use Thai food products like fish sauce and shrimp paste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia