Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times

Advertisements

"The nail that sticks up gets hammered down."

No, thank you.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
but the American definition of high standard of living is nothing but just a large house in the middle of nowhere. Is that really "high standard" living when you need to drive 10-30 minutes to do everything, including trivial things like catch a movie or buy some cigarettes?

Do the 17 year old kids think it is a high standard of living when they are so far from everything and doing any fun involved a car ride from the parents? How do they meet their friends? taking the bus which comes on the hour?

The so called high standard of living is mostly associated with big houses with all the unnecessary space one think he needs just because everyone else does. It is not that high after all.

In Japan, people may live in small apartments, but you can't call that life not high standard when everything is at your doorstep.
Being able to walk to any restaurant or event is priceless. I'll take that over a big house in a town with no culture or good food.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,389 times
Quote:
but the American definition of high standard of living is nothing but just a large house in the middle of nowhere. Is that really "high standard" living when you need to drive 10-30 minutes to do everything, including trivial things like catch a movie or buy some cigarettes?

Do the 17 year old kids think it is a high standard of living when they are so far from everything and doing any fun involved a car ride from the parents? How do they meet their friends? taking the bus which comes on the hour?

The so called high standard of living is mostly associated with big houses with all the unnecessary space one think he needs just because everyone else does. It is not that high after all.

In Japan, people may live in small apartments, but you can't call that life not high standard when everything is at your doorstep.
Americans are very "independent" and are not really social.
Most Americans do not know their friends' age, salary, etc., and do not turn to their friends in case they need help. Often times long-term neighbors don't know each others' telephone numbers.

Some people like that. They don't bother others, and don't want others to bother them.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Quote:

That was my living arrangement in Japan a few years ago. Shopping, post office, banking, exercise, dining, nightlife, etc. was all walking distance from my (not enormous, but brand-new) apartment; work was my only necessary day-to-day commute.

But most people in the US prefer the oversized house and oversized car, overlooking their neighbors' oversized houses and oversized cars. More Americans are starting to believe that the isolated suburban lifestyle of the 20th century isn't ideal.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I wasn't envious until I heard about the hugeness of the buildings. Then, when I heard about the healthiness of the food, I was sold.

Japan... Here I come!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
They have a cool culture.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Ahhh and here come the people telling us how our life's in the suburbs are

Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ahhh and here come the people telling us how our life's in the suburbs are
I see the appeal if you want to raise a family thats about the only reason I can think of to chose suburban living.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I see the appeal if you want to raise a family thats about the only reason I can think of to chose suburban living.
oooook

Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Americans are very "independent" and are not really social.
Most Americans do not know their friends' age, salary, etc., and do not turn to their friends in case they need help. Often times long-term neighbors don't know each others' telephone numbers.

Some people like that. They don't bother others, and don't want others to bother them.
I always groan and shake my head when I read stuff like this.

People seriously think that Americans live in total isolation from the people around them? If that was the case then how come American has a society and cities filled with millions of peoole rather than just a collection of tribes and family compounds?

My fiance told me, matter of factly, that American society was like this a few months ago (she is chinese), and it took a couple hours of me reminding her that I lived in the US for 30 years and all the stories of my life there that i'd told her before she finally capitulated that maybe it wasn't the case. It seems it's something that people in Asia and to a lesser extent Europe believe, as though Americans a) all live in suburbs, and b) can all be classified in a taxonomic sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia