Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:51 PM

653 posts, read 743,171 times

Advertisements

bali if you want the digital nomad lifestyle.

Hong Kong or Singapore if you are really serious about getting series a funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Just met a guy today to his on his way to Bali indefinitely. Runs an online education business and had been living in Thailand for awhile before coming back to Jax. Literally was heading to the airport lol.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 466 times
Singapore is the best place

Old 09-01-2016, 01:17 AM

64 posts, read 57,648 times
Don't you think that "entrepreneurs" is a too broad concept to identify the best city in Asia ? Whether you want to launch a shoe factory, a bunch of franchised Starbucks or an algorithmic trading startup, these businesses will imply very different locations.

In any case I agree that Singapore is one of the most business-friendly environments in the world, but the costs (workers, rent...) are freakin' high

Old 09-02-2016, 02:28 AM

166 posts, read 278,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picopepec View Post
Don't you think that "entrepreneurs" is a too broad concept to identify the best city in Asia ? Whether you want to launch a shoe factory, a bunch of franchised Starbucks or an algorithmic trading startup, these businesses will imply very different locations.

In any case I agree that Singapore is one of the most business-friendly environments in the world, but the costs (workers, rent...) are freakin' high
This is a good point you bring up. Yes, I think it matters tremendously what kind of business you set up.

For someone looking to scale nationally/regionally/globally, you'd need a larger hub where people with different backgrounds and skillsets can bring together their ideas and talents.

Unfortunately, I've been having a terrible time finding talented people in Singapore. We've been meeting with and interviewing tech workers in Singapore, and the overall quality is...really low. Yet they're asking for salaries that they don't deserve. Anybody from Singapore able to explain what's going on? The government is making a huge push to replicate Silicon Valley there, and there are certainly enough financiers from the banking industry to invest in startups, but I don't think the talent level is quite there.

Also, Singapore makes it very difficult to hire foreigners. I get it...they're trying to protect domestic workers, but companies can't grow successfully unless they can select the best that's available. It's frustrating...might have to reconsider Singapore as a home base.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:29 AM

64 posts, read 57,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Unfortunately, I've been having a terrible time finding talented people in Singapore. We've been meeting with and interviewing tech workers in Singapore, and the overall quality is...really low.
Wow I was surprised to read that, because I have been to Singapore many times, and I always got the impression that it is a "nerd city" with a very high concentration of Msc-engineers-Phd per square meter. I also hear that the "golden triangle" (NUS-NTU-SMU) have a very high education level.

I even heard that the government wanted to dissuade young people to study at Uni because there is a degree hyperinflation.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:04 AM

11 posts, read 9,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
I feel like every other expat I've been meeting lately is an "entrepreneur" in Asia. There's a guy who started a "lifestyle podcast startup" (whatever the heck that means) here in Bali and as far as I can tell, that's his only fulltime job at the moment. Not so sure he's making any revenue from it, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. (He says he makes enough to "enjoy his life")

His reason for choosing Bali was that it is cheap and he can keep expenses low. Which is true but at the same time, is that always a good reason to base your startup here?

I mean, if you were really serious about starting a legit company, wouldn't you want to base yourself somewhere with things like a) reliable internet, b) smart and ambitious people, c) a dynamic environment as opposed to a chill, easy-going place, and d) lots of chances for networking?

Where would you say is the best city or place in Asia for entrepreneurs?

My top 3:

1. Hong Kong
2. Shanghai
3. Singapore

They're not cheap places, but they're all great hubs where you can actually meet people who are driven and connected. Also might give a place like HCMC or Hanoi a runner-up, but not a place like Taipei.
wow.. Was gonna say hong kong even though had nothing backing that up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia