Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times

Advertisements

probably a secular democracy to use as a buffer state.

I'll go ask the "free tibet" tibetans tomorrow when I get some momos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
probably a secular democracy to use as a buffer state.

I'll go ask the "free tibet" tibetans tomorrow when I get some momos
OK, great. Report back. (A theocratic state would be just as effective a buffer, you know. From a buffer-state standpoint, whether or not it's democratic is irrelevant.)

Are their momos any good? The local Tibetans in my town used to have a little restaurant inside a cultural center/shop, serving momos, but they were aweful! The little restaurant/tea room closed, eventually.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Then why should it be Chinese business? Even Tibet.
then learn some history. A lot of countries current own lands that don't seem to belong to them. The UK has something in south America, US in the pacific, France in the Caribbean. When China has something (not even some distant continent), it is suddenly a problem.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
then learn some history. A lot of countries current own lands that don't seem to belong to them. The UK has something in south America, US in the pacific, France in the Caribbean. When China has something (not even some distant continent), it is suddenly a problem.
Silly Asian, colonizing is only for white men We learned our lesson back in 1492

Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Silly Asian, colonizing is only for white men We learned our lesson back in 1492
Ever heard of a fellow called Genghis Khan? He did a pretty good job of it, back in his day. He even colonized China and made it part of his empire. He fooled the Chinese, by calling it the Yuan Dynasty, and convincing them it was their own. He made Tibet part of Greater Mongolia. It was never part of China; it belonged to Mongolia.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 PM

491 posts, read 324,368 times
Taiwan is going nowhere. It cannot declare independence, it is a a state of limbo. Few recognize its claims and no one wants to irk China.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ever heard of a fellow called Genghis Khan? He did a pretty good job of it, back in his day. He even colonized China and made it part of his empire. He fooled the Chinese, by calling it the Yuan Dynasty, and convincing them it was their own. He made Tibet part of Greater Mongolia. It was never part of China; it belonged to Mongolia.
I know I had to make a Trix reference somehow not just China, but as far away as Eastern Europe. There are Europeans who are direct descendants of Genghis Khan and his army of soldiers. Very interesting stuff

Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I didn't know what "Bhutan" is before I Googled the term.
I saw Bhutan, but thought Bataan. Oh, wait......

Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
free tibet!
Lol. I remember maybe a decade ago the Free Tibet movement was pretty mainstream, outside of China of course. Are there still many people who believe in "Free Tibet?" I won't lie, I used to be a Free Tibet guy back in college, but then reality hit me. It's not going to happen. An independent Taiwan is much more realistic. Heck, an independent Hong Kong is more realistic...

Old 08-16-2020, 06:21 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
Some popular media have a long record of bias and fake news. Imagining or predicting instead of reporting facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Are you sure? Usually the West media e.g. CNN, AFP and Japanese media are very bias. They only tell one side of the story to whatever fits their agenda.

Actually the Bhutan media accuses India of sending troops to there and interfering Bhutan government from settling the land dispute issue with China. The Bhutan media also accuse India controlling their government. They have no freedom as a sovereign independent nation. They acted as a zombie-like nation default state of India.

The only way for India to be prosperous is its stability with its neighbors. Otherwise, it will end up like those nations in Middle East with massive refugees flood to the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia