Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:59 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I like Japan, I've been there before, but personally Chinese architecture appeals to me more right now. The Japanese temples tend to be very simplistic and wooden while china's are more intrinsic with the background and have better mythological connections to me at least.
Then you go to Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:37 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
that's upsetting. I am still wondering (or holding out hope at least) that the Chinese are still building new structures modeled after classical dynastic china architecture or even rebuilding previously destroyed temples, buildings, etc. Their age doesn't matter to me that much, I care more for the feel and style.
Thankfully, there are an increasing number of new developments that mimic the classic style popping up in big cities... the complex I live in has a bunch of hutongs that look like they were made hundreds of years ago, but are actually 7 or 8 years old. One problem is that Chinese cities are increasingly high-density and land is super-valuable, and so many developers are disinclined to put up one or two-story classical buildings or remake temples when they can erect a 35-story condo building and make a billion dollars.

In my wife's hometown, there are a ton of very old buildings; her family actually gifted us their ancestral home, the main section of which is something like 300 years old (two other wings were added in the last 100 years). The sad thing is that it's basically laid unused for about a decade and a half now... they chose to gave it to us because I am the only person in the family who wants to preserve it. Everyone else could care less what happens; a few months ago, a tree fell and knocked out one of the newer sections, and no one seems interested in trying to fix it. Convincing my wife that it needs to be repaired and restored is an uphill battle as most people in China see buildings like this as old pieces of junk and would rather live in a modern concrete box covered in tile.

The bed is what breaks me up the most; that bed is a couple hundred years old and even here in China would be worth a big brick of cash if restored (personally, I care more about it for the historical and familial value), but again, no one in her family seems overwhelmingly bothered by the thought of it decaying into moldy splinters.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM

510 posts, read 609,569 times
Quote:
One very sad thing that google has at least impressed upon me is that there aren't that many traditional Chinese temples (daoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, etc.) left in china.

I hope someone with more knowledge on this can provide more information but it seems to me the main cities don't have that sort of traditional architecture that I'm hoping to see.
One of the best places to see traditional Chinese architecture, houses, and temples is actually Malaysia.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:50 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
One of the best places to see traditional Chinese architecture, houses, and temples is actually Malaysia.
Better than actual China?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Thankfully, there are an increasing number of new developments that mimic the classic style popping up in big cities... the complex I live in has a bunch of hutongs that look like they were made hundreds of years ago, but are actually 7 or 8 years old. One problem is that Chinese cities are increasingly high-density and land is super-valuable, and so many developers are disinclined to put up one or two-story classical buildings or remake temples when they can erect a 35-story condo building and make a billion dollars.

In my wife's hometown, there are a ton of very old buildings; her family actually gifted us their ancestral home, the main section of which is something like 300 years old (two other wings were added in the last 100 years). The sad thing is that it's basically laid unused for about a decade and a half now... they chose to gave it to us because I am the only person in the family who wants to preserve it. Everyone else could care less what happens; a few months ago, a tree fell and knocked out one of the newer sections, and no one seems interested in trying to fix it. Convincing my wife that it needs to be repaired and restored is an uphill battle as most people in China see buildings like this as old pieces of junk and would rather live in a modern concrete box covered in tile.

The bed is what breaks me up the most; that bed is a couple hundred years old and even here in China would be worth a big brick of cash if restored (personally, I care more about it for the historical and familial value), but again, no one in her family seems overwhelmingly bothered by the thought of it decaying into moldy splinters.
Thanks for sharing. It's so sad to here what is happening to home, I wish more countries would care for their tradition rather than let it be lost. Hopefully, as China develops people will become more interested in preserving what they have left like what happens in many fully develop countries like in the west.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:22 PM

510 posts, read 609,569 times
Quote:
Better than actual China?
In some respects yes. Malaysia didn't have a Cultural Revolution, no civil war, less damage in WW2, not as much rapid modern growth, etc. Obviously China has a lot more to see, but what's in Malaysia is very well preserved.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 PM

75 posts, read 81,704 times
All those not so old farm houses are crumbling. It is amazing that Emperor's palaces are still standing after 500+ years and many earthquakes. Here is why. Secrets of the Forbidden City | NOVA | PBS

Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 AM

This article is from 2015 but it seems pretty balanced bringing up all the old buildings that are still being destroyed at a rapid pace.
Rebuilding and Repurposing: China’s Selective Use of Temples – Odyssey Edge

What I am wondering is the net difference between temples/old buildings that are being rebuilt to the ones being destroyed.

Either way it is sad all the beautiful traditional villages are being ruined.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:28 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Some of what you're praising is just a natural by-product of being so large, you know.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Some of what you're praising is just a natural by-product of being so large, you know.
Few nations can occupy such a huge ariable land in the temperate zone. Actually only two nations did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia