Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Exploring options...for? A different country? What other options are you considering...?
I have been tempted to go back to the States, to be a bit closer to my very aging parents. Never a problem before, but there have been some issues lately. Specifically Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. Healthcare and dental expenses are the big turnoff in the US. That equation will change a lot at 65...so it almost seems better to do an early retirement in SEA, then move back at 65. Many do not, and obviously should have.

I have considered Cambodia before, but it seems like that is the top place for people who can no longer stay in Thailand. I have also considered Hermosillo, Mexico, but for now, looking outside of BKK, and may go rent for several months in NONG KHAI, and see if the Dollar can bounce back, before buying.

Steak, wine, cheese, and college football are big attractions for me in the States. Something tells me, I might be pulling my hair out after a few months of living there, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I have been tempted to go back to the States, to be a bit closer to my very aging parents. Never a problem before, but there have been some issues lately. Specifically Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. Healthcare and dental expenses are the big turnoff in the US. That equation will change a lot at 65...so it almost seems better to do an early retirement in SEA, then move back at 65. Many do not, and obviously should have.

I have considered Cambodia before, but it seems like that is the top place for people who can no longer stay in Thailand. I have also considered Hermosillo, Mexico, but for now, looking outside of BKK, and may go rent for several months in NONG KHAI, and see if the Dollar can bounce back, before buying.

Steak, wine, cheese, and college football are big attractions for me in the States. Something tells me, I might be pulling my hair out after a few months of living there, though.
The problem with being an expat is that it changes you. You never really fit in in your overseas home and when you return you never really fit in in the US when you come back.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Some of the very older expats have basically severed all ties with their home country, and haven't been back in decades. De facto stateless. A big mistake, as there is almost no safety net for them here. It is also pretty damn selfish to become a burden on a foreign country that can't afford to give free medical to foreigners. If destitute foreigners keep showing up at the ER, they will likely require insurance, or scrutinize visa applicants more. I trade stocks in the US, so that keeps me pretty well informed. Others, never watch any news whatsoever or vote, either. I think basic fixed monthly expenses would be the big shocker. Comparing those costs is what I do lately, Instead of counting sheep. Someone stated the average adult female is 168 pounds in the US...Holy Toledo..now that would be a massive change.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 PM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Some of the very older expats have basically severed all ties with their home country, and haven't been back in decades. De facto stateless.
Are you talking about renouncing their citizenship? That's weird considering they can use a retirement visa or elite visa and keep their citizenship.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Are you talking about renouncing their citizenship? That's weird considering they can use a retirement visa or elite visa and keep their citizenship.
No, I haven't met any US citizens who have renounced. But, "defacto" would imply that they might as well have. Quite a few don't pay Medicare out of their SS checks. They are not registered to vote, file taxes, or have any contacts in the States. They are living check to check, without medical insurance, as the chance of needing care gets greater and greater. They would be very hard pressed to get a ticket home, and being considered not fit to fly, also becomes a factor. Immigration will accept a letter from the Consulate stating an income of 2000 USD per month for Americans, instead of the 26,000 in a Thai bank account. Many of these sworn affidavits are bold faced lies. But, as stated, the more old and destitute start running up hospital bills, the more likely they are too crack down. They are also much more strict with me in my early 50s as opposed to some of these guys who have been here since Vietnam. A mix of respect for the old, and a quid pro quo. They have to pay 60 for their letter..I just have to pay three bucks for mine from the bank.

Elite visa is about 15,000 USD for five years...very few get one.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:11 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times
Quote:
No, I haven't met any US citizens who have renounced. But, "defacto" would imply that they might as well have. Quite a few don't pay Medicare out of their SS checks. They are not registered to vote, file taxes, or have any contacts in the States. They are living check to check, without medical insurance, as the chance of needing care gets greater and greater. They would be very hard pressed to get a ticket home, and being considered not fit to fly, also becomes a factor. Immigration will accept a letter from the Consulate stating an income of 2000 USD per month for Americans, instead of the 26,000 in a Thai bank account. Many of these sworn affidavits are bold faced lies. But, as stated, the more old and destitute start running up hospital bills, the more likely they are too crack down. They are also much more strict with me in my early 50s as opposed to some of these guys who have been here since Vietnam. A mix of respect for the old, and a quid pro quo. They have to pay 60 for their letter..I just have to pay three bucks for mine from the bank.

Elite visa is about 15,000 USD for five years...very few get one.
What's sad to see is Westerners that are alcoholics that have blown their money chasing booze and whores and they're wandering about Thailand...not cool.

I have a friend (in CM like Hal) that went to CM to retire early on limited funds and now he's hit Medicare age and can return to the USA but he's now married to a local Thai girl. He would have a tough time to survive on his small pension and social security if he brought his Thai wife to the USA. Hence, he's basically stuck in Thailand to his wife who owns the house he paid for.

From my perspective, I see Thailand or Phils as a place to retire early and cheap but if I did so, I would likely return to the USA when I hit 65.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:48 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
From my perspective, I see Thailand or Phils as a place to retire early and cheap but if I did so, I would likely return to the USA when I hit 65.
What would be the purpose of returning to the US at 65?

Negatives...

Healthcare. The U.S. has horribly corrupt price-inflated healthcare costs...as opposed to the rest of the world capitalizing on retiring Americans going abroad for reasonable-priced healthcare.

US. car culture - How many of us have seen grandparents/great-grandparents get old, lose their driver's license, and stuck in a house all day - waiting for someone to show up - so they can get food or something. Live in Asia, you walk out of your condo/apt and have access to 100s of restaurants/cornerstore markets, and old people sit and hang out in the parks all day. The U.S. looks lonely and isolating for older people.

Cost-of-living: See above

I don't know, when I turn 65, I'd like to have a social situation that is accessible, stores and parks I can access by foot, live somewhere safe, have access to healthcare at reasonable prices. I don't see any of those things being easily available in the U.S.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times
Quote:
What would be the purpose of returning to the US at 65?

Negatives...

Healthcare. The U.S. has horribly corrupt price-inflated healthcare costs...as opposed to the rest of the world capitalizing on retiring Americans going abroad for reasonable-priced healthcare.

US. car culture - How many of us have seen grandparents/great-grandparents get old, lose their driver's license, and stuck in a house all day - waiting for someone to show up - so they can get food or something. Live in Asia, you walk out of your condo/apt and have access to 100s of restaurants/cornerstore markets, and old people sit and hang out in the parks all day. The U.S. looks lonely and isolating for older people.

Cost-of-living: See above

I don't know, when I turn 65, I'd like to have a social situation that is accessible, stores and parks I can access by foot, live somewhere safe, have access to healthcare at reasonable prices. I don't see any of those things being easily available in the U.S.
Well if you have a family and relationship in the USA, that would be a huge draw though I guess that could also work the other way around if you had a relationship(s) say in Thailand that you wouldn't want to leave.

Other than cost, which is somewhat reduced when you get Medicare, I just don't see the negatives you see in the USA at least if you choose your location carefully.

You're in Macau, is that not expensive?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:12 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
You're in Macau, is that not expensive?
Macau is expensive, but I wouldn't retire here.

Southeast Asia, when the time comes, most likely.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Cool! Okay, so foreigners can legally 100% buy condos without any problem.

How are issues with mold? Or tenants? or is AIRBNB the way to go now?

How many condos would you say, that you need to own, to comfortably live without worrying about another outside income? Live in one, and rent out two? Or with empty ones, maybe you'd need five? I don't know, I'm just throwing out numbers, as I have no idea....and I guess it depends on where they are located (but maybe even out with the expenses in popular locations for both rental prices and cost of buying compared to lower-priced unpopular areas)?
Ownership of the condo complex has to be at least 51% Thai owned as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia