Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:58 PM

31 posts, read 36,555 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have recently accepted an English Teaching Job in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia working for the U.S. Dept. of Defense. Essentially, I would be working on an Air Force base teaching Saudi Arabian Air Force members English due to their constant exposure and working environment involving a lot of English speakers.

That being said, what is the city of Riyadh like? Is it friendly to westerners? Especially U.S. citizens? I know that the city itself is very big and has a handful of foreign workers there (obviously, not all westerners). While I try not to be too bigoted, I just want to make sure that I will be safe if I do decide to wander from the base for a while and check out such a marvelous looking city.

Additionally, I know the culture is going to different than what I am used to. Is there any advice, or even a website, anyone would suggest for Americans/foreigners visiting not only Riyadh but Saudi Arabia in general? Proper attire, greetings, social norms, etc?

Lastly, assuming I get a hold of the culture enough to explore, what are some neat things to do while in Riyadh?

Thanks, all! I appreciate it!

Last edited by darrenlamb45; 03-17-2018 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 04:20 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,674 times
you will need to spend a lot of time researching but there is some very interesting stuff to see. in riyadh itself theres an old part that you might get courageous enough to explore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mada%27in_Saleh

Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
don't convert and don't get in trouble with the law

Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Are you a man or a women. It makes a whole lot of difference in that part of the world.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:26 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Are you a man or a women. It makes a whole lot of difference in that part of the world.
Exactly what I was thinking and I worked in Saudi several years. OP, you should be fine, you will have to get accustomed to the different groups of people that are in Riyadh and their respective cultures (Saudi, Indian, Filipino, Western) and accept the dominant status of Islam in Saudi. You are aware no alcohol or pork right? Many people have done what you're doing and are just fine, just read the State Department reports and make yourself aware of what areas or dodgier just as you would in a US city.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:13 AM

317 posts, read 373,748 times
Riyadh has a very nice airport. I teach in Kuwait and Riyadh's is way nicer. I will say that Riyadh and Saudi in general is opening up to foreigners and now has a tourist visa. Women will also be able to drive and cinemas are being built. It is a good sign. Food in the Middle East is great and compensates for the lack of alcohol. I find the locals okay - however high school students can be arrogant and lots of cheating. But definitely worth checking out.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
You might also want to look at Dave's eslcafe.

Teaching in Asia Forum:
Job Discussion Forums :: Index

Teaching in Saudi Arabia Forum:
Job Discussion Forums :: View Forum - Saudi Arabia

Old 03-28-2018, 12:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Riyadh has a very nice airport. I teach in Kuwait and Riyadh's is way nicer. I will say that Riyadh and Saudi in general is opening up to foreigners and now has a tourist visa. Women will also be able to drive and cinemas are being built. It is a good sign. Food in the Middle East is great and compensates for the lack of alcohol. I find the locals okay - however high school students can be arrogant and lots of cheating. But definitely worth checking out.
While I agree that food in the Middle East is great, I can't agree that compensates for lack of alcohol.

I'm also in Kuwait but maybe for just another month or so.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:00 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
aren't westerners allowed to drink alcohol in their base? or tolerated?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:12 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
I understand there is a thriving alcohol black market in Saudi something like the old prohibition days in the United States. Local law enforcement does try to curb this practice and violators are punished with fines and in some cases incarceration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia