Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:25 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times

Advertisements

Turkey is not slipping into Islamism, as much as Erdogan might want to, I have been to Northern Nigeria, UAE and Turkey. One is poorer than the other two, but Northern Nigeria and UAE have a much more similar culture. At a Turkish University, I saw maybe 20%-40% of girls with their Hijab on, and this was in Ankara, go to Istanbul and it is different. Not to mention the large amount of gay people Turkey seems to have. The amount of openly gay people would scare Americans IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Turkey is not slipping into Islamism, as much as Erdogan might want to, I have been to Northern Nigeria, UAE and Turkey. One is poorer than the other two, but Northern Nigeria and UAE have a much more similar culture. At a Turkish University, I saw maybe 20%-40% of girls with their Hijab on, and this was in Ankara, go to Istanbul and it is different. Not to mention the large amount of gay people Turkey seems to have. The amount of openly gay people would scare Americans IMO.

It doesn't take a majority to create huge changes. Many movements were spearheaded by a very small and tireless minority. For example, the American Revolution had about 140 principals and a bunch of poor, irate substinence farmers with a musket.

The majority often opt for the easy road. The English fought for a bit and decided....."ehh, not worth it. Let them have it. We have bigger fish to fry." They could have crushed us.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
word look what happened in iran it started small and now hot persian women are forced to cover their heads and there are barely any fire temples left persia. plus they no longer can pronouce the "p" sound because bedouin conquest.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:23 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
word look what happened in iran it started small and now hot persian women are forced to cover their heads and there are barely any fire temples left persia. plus they no longer can pronouce the "p" sound because bedouin conquest.
Actually, Farsi has a 'p' in its alphabet. Arabic is the one that doesn't.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I worry that the general population of Turkey is sliding towards hardline Islamist and drive the country towards a true Islamic State then become another hotbed of terrorist groups.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Actually, Farsi has a 'p' in its alphabet. Arabic is the one that doesn't.
that's why there is no p sound anymore and that's why was farsi is called farsi instead of parsi. I think p sound in old Pahlavi

Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
They aren’t in the same exact trajectory flow of main events technically. Despite what is recent, Turkey is quite welcoming enough to multinationals. Turkey is much more well known while Iran is very mysterious. Byzantine Empire entity is at least having close enough alliance spiritual affinity with handful of neighbors such as Bulgaria, and those Balkan Yugoslavian labels. Courtesy of Georgia, infinitely extra stable in comparison with fierce alienation of Armenia. Iran just seems to relax as a loner without acknowledging geographic borders. Turkey is further sociable easygoing amiable.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So I've been researching the Iranian revolution a lot lately and I can't help but notice some similarities to what's happening in Turkey. A secular Muslim country with a dictator. I strong middle class but also a bloated heavily impoverished lower class. I've also heard there's already been coup attempts on him, and rumors of increased radicalism in Turkey have me wondering. I really don't want to see Turkey turn into what Iran became. For a while I thought they where a model Muslim country, I just hope they can restore a true democracy.
Will never happen. Its too strategic for NATO.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Turkey has been operating against the Kurds, against our directives. Turkey openly supported Islamist propaganda versus Israel, e.g. the flotilla. Turkey makes deals with Russia. It is time to shun Turkey and kick it out.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
You are talking about a culture that was largely secular outwardly until recently - its happening insidiously. Remember - like most religions, Islam is an ideology (just a sub-type of ideology we call "religion"). Ideological changes imposed on previously different ideology takes time to change. There is inertia. But as you change institutions, the people in charge of those institutions, your school curriculum, the charities you fund, and don't, your laws on criticizing the religion, and many other systemic changes, then those changes will come and then be entrenched. Edrogan is winning at pushing the country his way - not towards social enlightenment and freedom. He consolidates his power and those of his kind every day.

Turkey is more Islamic in practice than 10 years ago and conservative Islam believers have way more sway and influence than a decade ago also. The difference with Turkey is that you had quite a large relatively well-educated population before Erdogan started his rule. There was already a lot of freedom of thought and opinion and behavior not widespread in other Islamic countries. There is a built-in resistant to backwardness there, but its occurring. The rise of political Islam in Turkey continues. The associated decline of women's rights there, as well as religious rights, non-religious rights, and freedom of thought (while most other first world countries make further progress) is saddening.

Last edited by Chint; 05-24-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia