Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

What do you think would be the coldest culture in Asia?

I heard a lot of people say Koreans are cold, but I've known Korean people before, and they don't seem too bad. Maybe Japanese? Their social culture seems really reserved and unwelcoming to outsiders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
When I think of cold, I think of Eastern Europe or Russians. Ive never been to those places so I dont know if its reslly true, but going off old stigmas, I dont think anywhere in East Asia is very similar. Japanese and to a lesser extent, Koreans, can be distant and reserved to strangers, but I wouldnt call either culture cold in the slightest. They are all far too friendly to be called cold.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What do you think would be the coldest culture in Asia?

I heard a lot of people say Koreans are cold, but I've known Korean people before, and they don't seem too bad. Maybe Japanese? Their social culture seems really reserved and unwelcoming to outsiders
Hi there, I've recently visited Warszawa just several days ago. The city was overall much better and cleaner than I expected

I would love to go there again sometime.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Korean and Chinese. East Asians in general. Indians can be pretty cold too.

South east Asians are much friendlier and warm.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
The general rule seems to be that people living in harsher climates are colder in nature. How much that's true is open to debate.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
People in China are loud and extroverted, but are not warm as a culture, at least by western standards. People often feel little reason or obligation to be kind, helpful, or welcoming to people outside of their family or friends, which manifests itself in the extreme with people watching kids get run over and refusing to offer aid for fear of accountability and retribution. Family and friendly relationships tend to be more utilitarian, too.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
People in China are loud and extroverted, but are not warm as a culture, at least by western standards. People often feel little reason or obligation to be kind, helpful, or welcoming to people outside of their family or friends, which manifests itself in the extreme with people watching kids get run over and refusing to offer aid for fear of accountability and retribution. Family and friendly relationships tend to be more utilitarian, too.
I noticed that most Chinese people in my building don't even bother saying 'hello' when in the elevator.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I noticed that most Chinese people in my building don't even bother saying 'hello' when in the elevator.
In China people usually do not greet strangers. However if they know each other, even if not familiar, they are obliged to say something. It is actually the same in big cities in the west.
In America, some of them do not speak English and are reluctant to say anything to strangers.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:20 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
Gosh, a lot of stereotyping going on here :-) Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason, but I won't get into that. I'll just relate an interesting anecdote of what a Japanese acquaintance told me (and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it). He said something like this: "if a Japanese person is kind to you and says you are a friend, you can't be sure he/she really means it. If a Chinese person says that, it's probably true."

The comment may just reflect his own personality and life experience. Despite that, it does seem to reflect the importance that Japanese culture places on rules of etiquette, which are more compelling to people who live in that culture. Like so many aspects of human psychology, there can be good and bad aspects.

For the record, I've known wonderful people from both cultures. Also from Korea and other places in East Asia. Perhaps what is important -- and unrecognized -- for many westerners is whether or not one is considered to be in the other person's inner circle.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
HK, not a country, the city I know the most, has a cold culture.
If you come from Southeast Asia, the US, the U.K. and Australia, you can see very few smiles in HK. Smiling is not HK culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia