Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 727,769 times

Advertisements

Do you guys see a lot of squirrels where you live, such as the Red Bellied Squirrel and the Plantain Squirrel? There was a concerted effort in the US to relocate squirrels into cities during the 19th century. I don't think this happened in most of Asia. I am also aware of a presence of ferrets in much of China who may be a predator of squirrels.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 04-12-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 PM

1,087 posts, read 784,481 times
It appears there are commercial squirrel breeding facilities in China for pet purposes. If you are interested in doing business, there is a business website and China Central TV interview video.

http://www.songshuyz.cn/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Wh2r2zXl8

Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,887,626 times
Funny anecdote: my wife is Chinese and up until we were together, she had a fear and dislike of most animals, like many people here from the rural interior. One animal that bucked that trend were squirrels. She always thought that they were very cute,and asked early on in our relationship if there were squirrels where I came from in the US.

When we were visiting for the first time, I was making breakfast and she took our then year old daughter out back. I heard a scream, followed by "honey! Come quick!" I bolted out, thinking something had happened to our daughter.

There was a fat, confused squirrel sat about twenty feet a away on the fence, eating an acorn. "Honey, is... Is that a squirrel??"
"... Yeah. That's a squirrel."
*Pause* *uproarious laughter* "IT'S SO CUTE!!"

The rest of our trip we went squirrel spotting at every park near where we stayed. The highlight was seeing a red squirrel and a black squirrel in the same tree on the Harvard campus.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,887,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
It appears there are commercial squirrel breeding facilities in China for pet purposes. If you are interested in doing business, there is a business website and China Central TV interview video.

http://www.songshuyz.cn/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Wh2r2zXl8
Yes, squirrels are a somewhat common, if not niche pet here. Shopping sites like taobao sell harnesses, bells, and trinkets for training them as well as the animals themselves which can go from 30 RMB (>5 USD) for a young basic one, to a few hundred for a mature, trained and pedigreed long-eared red squirrel.

To answer the original question, there are wild squirrels in China, but they tend to be in the northern and central regions, and are almost never seen in cities. Their populations were decimated during the famine and periods of social and economic turmoil last century; they were caught for food and also hunted as vermin (China's population of sparrows, personally hated by the Chairman himself who thought they were crop-destroying pests, has never rebounded). They've never been resettled or introduced into urban settings to my knowledge; if they were, a lot of the old people who survived that period would just view it as the government subsidizing free food and would catch and eat them (many parks that have placed turtles in their ponds deal with this; at the one in our complex in GZ, security was often chasing away old guys with long nets who would show up hoping to catch one).

Last edited by 415_s2k; 04-12-2019 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Are Callosciurus squirrels and the local chipmunk tamer than the American ones? I’ve been bitten and scratched many times by American squirrels but have heard that the typical Chinese chipmunk is imported into Europe as a pet.

I’ve also seen footage of pet Indian squirrels (same genus as Chinese squirrels). I’m wondering if the wild yellow ferret like animals in many Chinese cities and possibly other areas, eat squirrels. These animals are everywhere.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times
When I was in college in Beijing, squirrels were occasionally seen on campus.
I have never seen them in densely populated areas.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,211,333 times
Squirrels are common in China? Where? In the countryside? I have never seen a squirrel in all of my years living in China. That being said, I've only lived in big cities like BJ, SH and GZ. Even when I go to the countryside to my wife's family in Anhui and her old village, I never really see animals in the wild.

Matter of fact, there really aren't many animals at all in China, when you think about it. If you compare to say North American, where they have squirrels, racoons, possum, ducks, deer and so on in many parts, you don't have any of those animals in China unless they are caged in some man made farm.

I think a hundred or so years ago Chinese killed them all off for the meat, as well as the fact that they were valuable and the people were poor.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,099,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When I was in college in Beijing, squirrels were occasionally seen on campus.
I have never seen them in densely populated areas.
Cuz people kill and eat them.
That’s the dilemma of poverty ridden densly populated areas of the entire Asia. China is not an exception.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Reading the comment's here it looks like 黄鼠狼's (ferret) got all the squirrels, because they are a predator of rodents. Rural to urban migrants in America eat squirrels all the time. My neighbor used to eat squirrels, possums and raccoons. However there are still too many squirrels here especially in the city, like 500 per square mile. The natural occurrence of a squirrel is 1 per square mile otherwise it's fat and eating too much junk food.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 04-15-2019 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 4,803 times
I live in Vietnam. I have never seen squirrel. I thinks because of my country don't have them a lot, not because of we eat them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia