Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:52 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And why choose this time of year to go, instead of winter? The heat is milder there, in winter.
It also rains a lot in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
I have been studying Mandarin for a while on my own. I am a linguist and love to study grammars of foreign languages.

I want to go to Taipei for about 3 months.

Why now? Because it is time.
Just to let you know, going to Taiwan to learn Mandarin is kind of like going to Australia to learn English. You'll end up with a distinctive accent that's not necessarily the most popular among native speakers. That's probably not an issue however as most people won't get to a point where they need to work on the accent only three months into learning a new language.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM

734 posts, read 483,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Just to let you know, going to Taiwan to learn Mandarin is kind of like going to Australia to learn English. You'll end up with a distinctive accent that's not necessarily the most popular among native speakers. That's probably not an issue however as most people won't get to a point where they need to work on the accent only three months into learning a new language.
Thank you for your post.

I did a lot of research to know that very standard Mandarin is spoken in Taipei. Yes, they have their own words/slang as well as accent, but it is indeed very standardized.

I'm American and never had trouble conversing with Australians while in Australia. The accent posed no problem, and the few words I didn't know were easily learned in context.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Australian accent is the best English accent. Taiwanese accent is also the best Mandarin accent.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Australian accent is the best English accent. Taiwanese accent is also the best Mandarin accent.
I do like the Taiwanese accent.

Not a big fan of the Australian accent.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post.

I did a lot of research to know that very standard Mandarin is spoken in Taipei. Yes, they have their own words/slang as well as accent, but it is indeed very standardized.
The "textbook standard" in Taiwan is very similar to that in mainland China, but in reality, it is more different.

For example, most (not all) Taiwanese do not distinguish s- and sh-, -in and -ing when they speak Mandarin. However people in North China do, and professional broadcasters in south China do as well. (Broadcasters in China must pass a pronunciation test to get the license.)

In short, the prescribed rules are not the same as what you see in reality. Generally speaking, I do not think accent is an issue anyway, unless you want to go very advanced and have a preference. Chinese speakers are very tolerant of different accents.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Thank you for the post last post.

I won't be going to Mainland China to learn Mandarin. It is either Taiwan, or Nowan.

I learned to understand both Quebec French and European French quite well.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
I have been studying Mandarin for a while on my own. I am a linguist and love to study grammars of foreign languages.

I want to go to Taipei for about 3 months.

Why now? Because it is time.
Haha, I completely understand! In school, my favorite day in English/literature class, was grammar day! I enjoyed grammar so much, I took all the languages my school offered, and always enjoyed the once/week grammar lesson! I continued learning languages in university, and beyond.

You'll love the food in Taipei! Check out the vegetarian restaurants, for an interesting change of pace, now and then. They have specialties, that are imitation meat dishes. They use tofu cooked to taste like chicken, and they use taro root, to imitate fish or beef. Taiwan has a fascinating cuisine! The street vendors also have good food; fried meat buns, which are part of traditional breakfast fare.

I don't know how much the public health situation has improved since I was there, long ago, but Hepatitis A and B used to be endemic. Check with your doctor about getting an inoculation for Hep B.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Haha, I completely understand! In school, my favorite day in English/literature class, was grammar day! I enjoyed grammar so much, I took all the languages my school offered, and always enjoyed the once/week grammar lesson! I continued learning languages in university, and beyond.

You'll love the food in Taipei! Check out the vegetarian restaurants, for an interesting change of pace, now and then. They have specialties, that are imitation meat dishes. They use tofu cooked to taste like chicken, and they use taro root, to imitate fish or beef. Taiwan has a fascinating cuisine! The street vendors also have good food; fried meat buns, which are part of traditional breakfast fare.

I don't know how much the public health situation has improved since I was there, long ago, but Hepatitis A and B used to be endemic. Check with your doctor about getting an inoculation for Hep B.
I can spend hours learning the grammars of foreign languages. A lot of people do not understand this.

I hear the food is delicious in general. They supposedly have a lot of good, cheap vegetarian restaurants because of the Buddhist tradition, I believe.

I hope to find out soon

Old 05-11-2019, 09:54 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
Are you learning traditional or simplified Chinese characters ?

And also, can Chinese learners tell which one is more popular in your country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia