Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 06:47 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

We’re planning a short side trip from visiting family in East Asia early next yea and are looking for suggestions. I would love to know where you’ve been in the region (first hand experiences, please!) and what were the things or sights you liked most and if you would overall recommend going by for a visit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Where in East Asia are you taking the side trip from?

I think I recall you being an urban dweller and city fan. Is that the way you like to travel as well? I love cities as well and pretty much love every Asian big city. I've heard some people find them all the be quite similar but to me that's not really the case.

Imo Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore are kind of in their own tier/stratosphere of must-see for urbanity and cosmopolitan/international flavor, so if any of those make sense to you then you can't go wrong. There are of course plenty of options if you are into beaches/resort getaways, tons of worthy picks for more culture shock/exposure experiences in small-mid size cities, and then the "wonders" type destinations like Angkor Wat. So really depends what you are seeking, but for a few days in a major city then that first list I provided is the one to stick to.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
... aren't you Taiwanese?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:01 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Where in East Asia are you taking the side trip from?

I think I recall you being an urban dweller and city fan. Is that the way you like to travel as well? I love cities as well and pretty much love every Asian big city. I've heard some people find them all the be quite similar but to me that's not really the case.

Imo Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore are kind of in their own tier/stratosphere of must-see for urbanity and cosmopolitan/international flavor, so if any of those make sense to you then you can't go wrong. There are of course plenty of options if you are into beaches/resort getaways, tons of worthy picks for more culture shock/exposure experiences in small-mid size cities, and then the "wonders" type destinations like Angkor Wat. So really depends what you are seeking, but for a few days in a major city then that first list I provided is the one to stick to.
I'll be making the side trip from Taiwan! I do love urban cities, but they don't have to be megacities at all. Interesting smaller cities that are navigable without renting a car are all fine by me. I also like hiking and the beach. I guess I'm going for what made the best impression on someone and why.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'll be making the side trip from Taiwan! I do love urban cities, but they don't have to be megacities at all. Interesting smaller cities that are navigable without renting a car are all fine by me. I also like hiking and the beach. I guess I'm going for what made the best impression on someone and why.

Busan might be a good choice for you. It's got beaches, it's got urbanization, and I assume it has hiking, given that it's surrounded by mountains. I didn't really have any expectations going into it, but I found that I really liked it. (I'll admit, I liked Seoul better.)

Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
ahh ok. First off if you are not going to be in Taipei then go there for sure. If you will be there then consider taking a short trip to the countryside, there are some popular destinations like yilan, jiufen, hot springs, or even the beaches. Ok, besides remaining in Taiwan...

Hong Kong and then Macau (if you have an extra day or two) would have certainly been my top rec. That said, with what's been going on in the region you'll have to use your best judgment whether or not to plan such a trip. Otherwise, I would go with either Tokyo, Seoul, or Shanghai for leaving the most impactful impression. Maybe Beijing if you would like to see Tiananmen, Great Wall, etc.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:15 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
We loved Sabah the most. Kota Kinabalu is a nice small city, the wildlife is great and there are some lovely resorts as well. As in all of Malaysia, the food is great.

Singapore has lost its attraction for us as it has become rich and westernised, though it is still a very pleasant city. We love Hong Kong but with all the unrest, would probably avoid it right now.

Not as keen on Thailand as other parts of Asia. Really enjoyed Vietnam but would not rush back. We love visiting China as well.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:17 AM

546 posts, read 569,350 times
Shameless westerners rape and burn Manila to the ground 11 times and rebuilt to their ideals yet won't even visit the city they butchered. Instead go to Singapore or Tokyo who has a history 10x less interesting than Manila. Have fun with the Japs who massacred you Whites while Millions of Filipinos died hiding your ungrateful asses in WW2. Manila may be not your favorite but we know that she's the most deserving. And don't bother coming here unless you learn to walk a mile in our shoesbeloved. Until then good riddance.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
You must go to the Philippines.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 AM

657 posts, read 244,833 times
For first experience visiting southeast asia
U go to thailand, then singapore, then indonesia

Goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia