Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times

Advertisements

So, do you think there is a relation between company size and joy on the job? If so, do you think it's directly proportional to the size (bigger company equals happier on the job) or the opposite (bigger company equals unhappier on the job)?

Or, do you think that mid size companies are the best and that the smaller the company you get, the less enjoyable it gets and the larger it gets, the less enjoyable it gets?

My own thought is that mid size companies are the best in that smaller ones typically are more susceptible to lower pay and nepotism and larger ones are more susceptible to viewing you as just a number and also to pointless bureaucracy and red tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:18 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
I'm not a fan of the nepotism which I've encountered at the small companies I've worked for. I'm not good with the political games, as I just like to be friendly but focus on my job. Some people take it to the extreme though. I once had a co-worker who bought my boss Dunkin Donuts every morning. I usually prefer the better organizational structure and better pay of larger companies, including the instant recognition.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
So, do you think there is a relation between company size and joy on the job?

No, I have worked jobs I hated and saw others enjoying there even though we were doing the same job! I have come to the conclusion that it's the "Worker" not the work that's key to enjoyment.

I have met people who LOVE working in a bare cubicle and others who needed a office laid out....It's the worker...

Old 02-02-2016, 02:25 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
As someone who's worked at places including government, a private firm with 6 employees and several in between, I didn't find that the number of employees were a determining factor in happiness of the employees. It's just the particular place of employment that leads to generally happy or unhappy workers. There are happy and unhappy employees at places of all sizes.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Try all of them out, happiness aside, I find larger places have the job duties set in stone more than smaller. Smaller companies run short of help so any and everyone that wants to pick up side duties/learn more can get chance to. Large companies, those side duties are full time jobs themselves, too much work to just "add" to free time. Plus with more people to manange, they draw lines to who can do what to make sure liability lines aren't crossed.

Are you happy to keep head down and work or being a busybody?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:54 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
So, do you think there is a relation between company size and joy on the job? If so, do you think it's directly proportional to the size (bigger company equals happier on the job) or the opposite (bigger company equals unhappier on the job)?

Or, do you think that mid size companies are the best and that the smaller the company you get, the less enjoyable it gets and the larger it gets, the less enjoyable it gets?

My own thought is that mid size companies are the best in that smaller ones typically are more susceptible to lower pay and nepotism and larger ones are more susceptible to viewing you as just a number and also to pointless bureaucracy and red tape.
No. Regardless of size, crappy companies are crappy companies - and vice versa.

That said, all else the same, people's personalities/traits will impact their preference for specific environments like company size.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:18 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
and larger ones are more susceptible to viewing you as just a number and also to pointless bureaucracy and red tape.
I understand that people who haven’t been a part of large org’s (or haven’t been deep enough within one) think it’s pointless. It’s far from. Annoying, yes. Pointless, a very definite no. It’s necessary.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:52 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I've worked for good and bad small, medium and large companies. It's not the company size, it's the management, the culture, the people and the policies that make the company good or bad to work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment