Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

Japan is simply better at keeping their traditions attractive to their younger generations as well as foreigners. China is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,768 times
Re: kimonos

Japan has always embraced certain aspects of modern Western culture, including attire, by incorporating it into its own culture. IMO, the traditional kimono is somewhat difficult to wear without assistance, so not very convenient in our fast-paced modern times.

That said, I’ve seen both native Japanese tourists as well as geishas wear the kimono in more historically traditional places like Kyoto’s Gion district, as well as during certain festivals.

In Vietnam, the white ao dai is still worn by high school girls. It is also worn by women of all ages in certain professions (retail, airlines, hotels, etc.) and for special occasions (weddings, festivals). Unlike the kimono, it’s quite easy to wear.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Re: kimonos

Japan has always embraced certain aspects of modern Western culture, including attire, by incorporating it into its own culture. IMO, the traditional kimono is somewhat difficult to wear without assistance, so not very convenient in our fast-paced modern times.

That said, I’ve seen both native Japanese tourists as well as geishas wear the kimono in more historically traditional places like Kyoto’s Gion district, as well as during certain festivals.

In Vietnam, the white ao dai is still worn by high school girls. It is also worn by women of all ages in certain professions (retail, airlines, hotels, etc.) and for special occasions (weddings, festivals). Unlike the kimono, it’s quite easy to wear.
At the tourist scenes, most women who wear kimonos are actually Chinese tourists.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
At the tourist scenes, most women who wear kimonos are actually Chinese tourists.

Yes, I understand Japan receives a large number of Chinese (and other Asian) tourists, but I also saw some Japanese wear them there as well.

I think traditional dress is regaining popularity with both natives and tourists in many countries.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:55 AM

669 posts, read 320,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yes, I know. Missionaries were all over the globe, but they were blocked somewhat in Japan. Nothing to do with my question. I am talking about Japan and the exclusive adoption of western clothing since the 1960s. Indian women still wear traditional dress, not just in the US, but where ever they settled. I guess no one on this forum has direct experience with Japanese "fashion" after WWII through the present.
You should have changed your question to traditional "Japanese" attire.

I'm of Korean descent and have had a interest in more modern history in the region. Particularly since my dad was born under Japanese rule, then lived in North Korea post war before escaping South. The major difference between 'Asia' and India and Pakistan is the level of US involvement post WW2.

Fashion changes didn't happen overnight but is rooted in the defeat of Imperial Japan. Japan was impoverished until after the Korean War when it came out of its economic funk being the West's economic/manufacturing base for the Korean War, but it still took time to filter down fashion changes (income distribution across impoverished class, entrance of women into the government, workforce, etc) and Western Corporation clothes distribution. Talking a good 10 years or so after the Korean War. Until the 1950s, Japan was nearly starving, wearing scraps. Similar happened to South Korea but to varying degrees and a bit later.

Now in Japan, it was an explicit policy to Americanize Japan to wipe out remnants of Imperial/nationalism and guard against the growing Communist threat with Russia next door in North Korea. Their culture was revolutionized overnight with a new US Based constitution. Also, think of US Exports like Baseball, Godzilla, shift to manufacturing of consumer goods and way from arms. Basically make the whole system more capitalistic (code word for it is democratic) and thus more addicted to money, wealth, property = the less they'll likely go back to their feudal ways (includes women wearing Kimonos). Similar was done in West Germany.

Especially among men, any sort of design/fashion relating to the Samurai Class was intentionally wiped out I.e. was a crime to have a Samurai sword. Then you had the liberalization push for women rights (including property, marriage, etc) and to enter the workforce, shed their subservient Geisha type role past. MacArthur had a firm grasp that the more a nation liberalizes women, the less ‘machismo’ culture would envelope. This was still a real fear post-war of Imperialism. He would purposefully put women in his administration in certain positions of authority that shocked Japanese leaders and nation into accepting a women’s non-traditional role of authority and how one looks. Plenty of coverage from books on this in Post-War US rule. This of course over a generation changed perceptions how a women is to dress away from traditional clothes coinciding with Western fashion infiltration and higher income for women. Hollywood is a power image making tool too. The communist influence post-war is also understated today, which shunned traditional women roles and clothing.

Today in Japan, IMO, we see the hollowing out effects of their traditional culture with their low low birth and marriage rates, loss of national identity, idea of family. Look at the type of sentiment seen in the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" vs now. The family unit as well as paths people take in fashion and sub-groups really is disparate. Many older couples literally have no relationship with each other, and just live in a sort of haze. When grandparents die, the kids absolutely don't even think about it.

Looking to Korea, somewhat similar. It's no wonder North Korean women still wear traditional clothes because of their hold to certain tradition pasts.

India and it's colonial British rule is a completely different set of circumstances and conditions. Pakistan too. Then you have weather and practical aspect to it. Infiltration of US Corporate culture (you won't see Indian women dressing in traditional clothes working for a Corp). Many women in Kimonos require assistance as well to put it on properly.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:00 PM

In addition to requiring assistance for a proper fitting and being cost prohibitive, kimonos are quite restrictive to movement, especially when paired with the traditional shoes. Given the choice in today's modern world, where many Japanese women are out in the workforce and leading busy lives, wearing a traditional kimono is just not practical outside of special occasions.

Indian and Pakistani traditional wear is not as restrictive to movement.

I take it you were seeing the upper classes if you saw them overseas in the 1960's. The factors above would not have been a hindrance to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia