Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 08:10 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,531,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I honestly can't think of anyone in my entire lifetime back in the US who doesnt have a positive opinion of Filipinos, and the Philippines has a something like 80% favorable view of the US, iirc., so I really don't know where all this animosity over things that happened 75-100+ years ago is coming from. Seems to me that you're outlier and your opinions aren't anything close to a majority.
let me clarify something for you.
speaking as an american, we barely acknowledge the existence of filipinos (in the sense there is not a huge awareness of) and differentiation between asians. we lump the east asians together, and the darker southeast asians as their own subgroup. for someone with little exposure to asia, you think we can tell the difference between someone from laos, cambodia and the philipines? same thing between the chinese, japanese and koreans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,531,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
What a shallow reason. We all know how tanning salons and sunbathing are popular in the West do I claim that you have tanned skin complex?
i'm not making **** up. i hang out at my filipino friend's house with his parents all the time and they always jokingly taunt him about how dark his skin is and how he will never find a girl to marry him.

search youtube for filipino white skin. tons of results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYTIh2cXfvM

Old 11-26-2019, 09:51 PM

1,117 posts, read 847,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
i'm not making **** up. i hang out at my filipino friend's house with his parents all the time and they always jokingly taunt him about how dark his skin is and how he will never find a girl to marry him.

That mostly applies to women. For men, most people dont care if your skin is dark. So I doubt the legitimacy of your story. Most men in the Philippines dont use skin whiteners unless they’re gay or very metrosexual

Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 PM

1,117 posts, read 847,680 times
Here’s an idea of the current standard of beauty in the Philippines. These are teen and early 20s celebs

As you can see, they dont all have the same look. A decade or so ago, most of the celebs would look like the girl who is 4th from the left. Very pale skin. But nowaways, having brown skin as a celeb is acceptable. Also, most of the celebs in the photo (besides 4 of them) come from 2 Filipino parents

Old 11-27-2019, 05:24 PM

7,662 posts, read 4,645,573 times
The US paid $20M USD for Guam, Puerto Rico and the Philippines after defeating the Spanish. Like mother pulling out hot cookies from the oven, the US was forced to scold the Philippines because they wouldn't wait a minute to let things cool down...and wars tend to get messy, long and costly. Once law and order were restored, the US could begin.

However, by 1907, the country was ready for its first elections, and elected its own Philippine Assembly.

In 1935, the US was ready to get the Philippines ready for independence, with Manuel Quezon elected as the first President of the then Commonwealth with Independence to be granted 10 years later. While imperial Japan's ambitions disrupted this plan, once that was all over in 1946, the US made the Philippines its own country.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...dence-declared

I mean, I don't think there was ever a desire to take over the Philippines as much as there was one to strip Spain of her Imperialism. In prepping a country for Democracy, the US was able to build the backdrop needed for the 4 year elections each year, which lasted until Marcos in 1971 and Filipinos elected him though 1986. The revolution was in place and the US gave Marcos an option to retreat to, rather than plunge the country into war, allowing a Democratic process to remain and not fall back into a military system.

I'm sure there were some imperfections in how it was pulled off, but the reading the history of it looks like the US was actually pretty useful in helping the Filipinos get not just their Independence, but to do so with a democratic tradition in place.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,505,160 times
Quote:

this is what i'm talking about it

Old 11-27-2019, 09:14 PM

7,662 posts, read 4,645,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
this is what i'm talking about it

Why is that America's fault....which, by the way, contains every shade of skin color in the world.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,505,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Why is that America's fault....which, by the way, contains every shade of skin color in the world.

its not.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:27 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,902,096 times
Quote:
speaking as an american, we barely acknowledge the existence of filipinos (in the sense there is not a huge awareness of) and differentiation between asians. we lump the east asians together, and the darker southeast asians as their own subgroup. for someone with little exposure to asia, you think we can tell the difference between someone from laos, cambodia and the philipines? same thing between the chinese, japanese and koreans.
Not sure what you're trying to clarify. This in no way mirrors my experience in the US. Just curious, how old are you?

Old 11-28-2019, 08:19 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,929,660 times
Quote:
It's really not that difficult to tell apart Asian immigrants to the USA from the countries you've listed after speaking with and interacting with them for a few minutes. I'm not sure why you've decided that you can be a spokesperson for Americans and why your experience is the "American" experience with Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia