Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 10:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,448,067 times

Advertisements

Yeah, after spending time with Asians it's not too hard to tell for the most part. Also, their languages don't sound the same. I have spent enough time around Koreans and Chinese to tell them apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
really? you can identify ethnicity based on physical appearance 100% of the time?
you must be an omniscient deity then because the east asians can't even tell each other apart with 100% accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 04:38 PM

7,662 posts, read 4,649,849 times
Regarding Asian ancestry in America, that's easy. There's Fresh off the Boat (1st generation people) and there's Asian Americans...which are their children and beyond.

The 2nd generation sometimes gets described differently with acronyms as well. ABC (American Born Chinese) or ABCD (American Born Confused Desi)

It's really about perspective. Moreover, it's one of understanding. Applies to basically all old world countries.

"Dude is your mother seriously trying to haggle in JC Penney?"
"Yeah, she's FOTB from Romania. She won't stop. I've stopped trying to get her to stop."

As that friend put it....the first generation can't shut it off. They'll never be comfortable in the new land. They have to constantly seek an edge.

As for overseas....seriously, nobody knows. Most mistakes are going to be about ignorance and frustration while overseas. Americans don't travel. They don't get vacation to travel. The result is they are bad at traveling. On top of that, there are people from over 200 countries here. Seriously nobody can learn the history and culture of all of those places....most can't even name the 50 states if a gun was to their head....and you take these type and put them outside the US for the first time and into Subic Bay or wherever the navy base is....and there's already an infrastructure for them that's decidedly military port and not Filipino....and not a lot of learning takes place.

So your choices are...be content with taking money off the dumb American tourists....or be pissed that they are there. Both valid choices....but neither is representative of Americans.

America, when you boil it down is all about you do you, and you let me do me...and we'll gossip about each other's dumb choices....but that's pretty much it.

PS. Love the spaghetti....

Old 12-01-2019, 03:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,532,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You're post earlier made no logical sense and this one even less. Black and white thinking runs through both posts. I did not claim that I could identify Asian ethnicities with 100% accuracy. I stand by my points your experience with Asians isn't "the American experience", you should refrain from trying to be a spokesperson for all Americans, and it isn't difficult to identify the main ethnic Asian ethnicities in the USA if they are recent arrivals and if you spend a few minutes interacting.
how many percent of asians in America do you personally interact with? Of the 20+ million that reside in the US, I would say probably on the order of .0001%, if not less.

sure, the ones you do know personally you can "identify" because it's come up in conversation, or maybe via surname. asking every asian where they're from or their name isn't feasible or common (unless you walk up to random strangers asking these questions) so yes, you would be identifying based on appearance more often than not.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
how many percent of asians in America do you personally interact with? Of the 20+ million that reside in the US, I would say probably on the order of .0001%, if not less.

sure, the ones you do know personally you can "identify" because it's come up in conversation, or maybe via surname. asking every asian where they're from or their name isn't feasible or common (unless you walk up to random strangers asking these questions) so yes, you would be identifying based on appearance more often than not.
In general I don't find it difficult to discern who is Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hmong. It is more difficult with some people from Thailand, Vietnam and other ethnic groups I've had less exposure to. I made it a point to expose myself to people of different ethnic groups during my years in college. Yes I did introduce myself to random people and start conversations out of curiosity to find out more about their countries. Asian Americans are a completely different creature.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,532,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
In general I don't find it difficult to discern who is Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hmong. It is more difficult with some people from Thailand, Vietnam and other ethnic groups I've had less exposure to. I made it a point to expose myself to people of different ethnic groups during my years in college. Yes I did introduce myself to random people and start conversations out of curiosity to find out more about their countries. Asian Americans are a completely different creature.
right, you can distinguish between filipinos and koreans because they look vastly different.
try doing that between the east asians. sometimes easy, sometimes difficult, and you can never been 100% certain.

identification is based on visual cues only. not by having a relationship personal relationship with someone. that is my point.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,232,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
your country has a white savior complex, its named after king phillip of spain, and its caving to the people's republic of china.

Completely wrong. If the country were named after the king, it would be "Philippine Republic", but it's not. "The Philippines" is the geographical name of a group of islands and the country that occupies those islands is "Republic of the Philippines". Only the geographic archipelago was named after the king, hence the grammatically correct form, "Philippine Islands". Therefore, , the republic of those islands.

If you insist, the republics was named after the islands which were named after Philip II, who was named after Philip I, who was named after Philip the Good of Burgundy, who was Flemish, not Spanish, and of the Hapsburg dynasty.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-02-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 05:11 AM

732 posts, read 783,788 times
I wont have issue telling whether a person is Chinese, Korean, or Japanese just by their looks. The more it becomes clearer when they start talking. You would probably have problem identifying them when they already are 5th, 4th or even 3rd generation immigrants because they are totally Americanised. Even so, facial features will still help a lot.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 AM

1,136 posts, read 531,600 times
That's why the protestors attack a Japanese man recording them with his phone in HK because they thought he was a Chinese.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,015,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I honestly can't think of anyone in my entire lifetime back in the US who doesnt have a positive opinion of Filipinos, and the Philippines has a something like 80% favorable view of the US, iirc., so I really don't know where all this animosity over things that happened 75-100+ years ago is coming from. Seems to me that you're outlier and your opinions aren't anything close to a majority.
Yeah, when I complain about the flaws of Filipino culture, North Americans are like, "bUT ThE fiLIpiNOs I Have met are So NIcE!" TBF, it's not like I could manipulate a bunch of woke Westerners into being racist, and the Filipinos they know are probably a bunch of skilled migrants.

Last edited by jackierudetsky; 05-20-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 12:50 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,508,475 times
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...142554480.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia