Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:13 PM

671 posts, read 315,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
My wife and I are doing all we can to NOT buy any more Made in China CRAP. Now we're seeing sneaky "Packaged in America." ???
I wonder if the chinese will start doing the same thing knowing how the americans are hating them. will they do all they can to stop going to shopping in walmarts and costcos, stop eating at mcdonalds, kfc, burger king, pizza hut, papa john's, etc. and stop drinking coca cola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
My wife and I are doing all we can to NOT buy any more Made in China CRAP. Now we're seeing sneaky "Packaged in America." ???
Also “made in USA” from sourced materials.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
I wonder if the chinese will start doing the same thing knowing how the americans are hating them. will they do all they can to stop going to shopping in walmarts and costcos, stop eating at mcdonalds, kfc, burger king, pizza hut, papa john's, etc. and stop drinking coca cola.

all it takes is a tweet from DJT.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-re...-only-bluffing

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/2...nist-party-ccp

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52808177

Old 05-26-2020, 06:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
Most people already shop at Chinese-owned grocery stores.

McD's, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Coca Cola are all woven into the national fabric at this point, no one really thinks of them as American and the Chinese competitors are generally really bad (one exception is Champion Pizza, I like them more than local Pizza Hut, but Tom & Tom is terrible). If they do decide to boycott, whatever.

Because China requires foreign companies to enter the chinese market with a Chinese investor as a proxy and almlat all the products they sell are made domestically, it will hurt far, far more locals than it will Americans.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:08 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
So why is Macau still thriving but HK is supposedly going to hell?
A point I never see discussed by the pro-Hong Kong crowd.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:02 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
A point I never see discussed by the pro-Hong Kong crowd.
Macau is tiny; it's the size of a district in Shenzhen or Guangzhou. HK is much larger (while still admittedly small, in the grand scheme of things). You can walk from the tip of the peninsula to the Chinese border in about 30 minutes. It's economy revolves around gambling and tourism. HK is much more dynamic economy and society than Macau.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Macau is tiny; it's the size of a district in Shenzhen or Guangzhou. HK is much larger (while still admittedly small, in the grand scheme of things). You can walk from the tip of the peninsula to the Chinese border in about 30 minutes. It's economy revolves around gambling and tourism. HK is much more dynamic economy and society than Macau.
True. But other cities under the purview of the PRC and outside of the two systems model are doing just fine, financially. Shanghai is a major economic powerhouse of its own, even bigger than Hong Kong. Beijing is only a little behind Hong Kong.

I'm not saying that only financial concerns matter to the Hong Kong protesters. And, to be sure, Macau seems to be enjoying more success and less distress under the two systems models in large part (from what I gather) because the city has a large amount of mainland residents living there now, and they brought their mainland way of thinking. That said, Macau has accepted PRC intrusions for a while now and without all of the push back that we see coming from Hong Kong.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:09 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Hong Kongs rise was due to being the gateway to China. It was a place where you could be closely linked to the Chinese market and at the same time enjoy western laws and thinking.

In my opinion Hong Kong people did not understand their advantage, and this goes further than the protest. One of the thing I noticed back in 2010 was that a lot of people do not understand English or Mandarin. It made no sense to me, how can an international city be so weak in languages? If a western company could go to Hong Kong, and any employee could act as a translator between the western company and a mainland company, then a lot of companies would pick Hong Kong as the place to do business with China.

A lot of Hong Kong people seem to think that Hong Kongs advantage was purely that they were more western, so any meddling from China would take away their advantage. But that is not true, business do not go to Hong Kong just get a british legal system, then they would just go to Britain. They go to Hong Kong, because its the gateway to China and it has a trustworthy legal system. If you take away the gateway part, then they have no reason to do business in Hong Kong.

When Hong Kong started to push away mainland tourists, investors and diversify away from China, they removed their biggest advantage and replaced it with nothing. That is why Hong Kong is failing.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Hong Kongs rise was due to being the gateway to China. It was a place where you could be closely linked to the Chinese market and at the same time enjoy western laws and thinking.

In my opinion Hong Kong people did not understand their advantage, and this goes further than the protest. One of the thing I noticed back in 2010 was that a lot of people do not understand English or Mandarin. It made no sense to me, how can an international city be so weak in languages? If a western company could go to Hong Kong, and any employee could act as a translator between the western company and a mainland company, then a lot of companies would pick Hong Kong as the place to do business with China.

A lot of Hong Kong people seem to think that Hong Kongs advantage was purely that they were more western, so any meddling from China would take away their advantage. But that is not true, business do not go to Hong Kong just get a british legal system, then they would just go to Britain. They go to Hong Kong, because its the gateway to China and it has a trustworthy legal system. If you take away the gateway part, then they have no reason to do business in Hong Kong.

When Hong Kong started to push away mainland tourists, investors and diversify away from China, they removed their biggest advantage and replaced it with nothing. That is why Hong Kong is failing.
I know right? How dare they dislike China! How dare they voice their discontent! They should be content with their miserable life!

You are so full of ****.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:12 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I know right? How dare they dislike China! How dare they voice their discontent! They should be content with their miserable life!

You are so full of ****.
You realize that Hong Kong is part of China and literally cannot survive without mainland China. Without China, every single industry in Hong Kong will collapse and they will not have enough water or electricity. Biting the hand that feeds you is stupid.

And if their lives are so miserable, then protest that. If 2 million Hong Kong people went out and demanded more public housing, then I am sure more will be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia