Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 02:55 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

The density of Taiwan looks very walkable, and very pedestrian-friendly. But other reports say because of the way they use the sidewalks as parking lots, and for many vendors, that it usually forces pedestrians into the street significantly more than you'd think?

What's the reality there... and does it vary from city to city? Which city or cities in Taiwan are easiest in a pedestrian-friendly walkable way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 07:46 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
I find Taipei extremely walkable. Maybe what you say about the parking is true even in Taipei, but I don't notice it enough to make it a huge problem there. Let's give it like an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. It's also very bike-friendly as well.

I can't speak to any of the other cities in Taiwan.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:57 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Taipei and Kaohsiung are fine for the most part.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:35 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
How would you say Taipei compares to Singapore in terms of walkabiity?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Hmm, interesting question. I would like to say that Singapore is a little bit better. Imo they're both around an 8.5-9 out of 10, meaning they aren't perfect everywhere but overall still extremely good. Singapore however feels a little bit better in that everything is planned very well and infrastructure for pedestrians is thorough and comprehensive. I can't imagine the parking on sidewalks scenario described above happening in Singapore, but I can absolutely imagine it in Taipei. Times in Taipei where you'd have to step out into traffic, vs Singapore having the infrastructure set up to avoid danger like that.

Since we are splitting hairs though, Taipei overall has a bit more pleasant weather for walking. Summer in Taipei is atrocious but the rest of the year is ok and at times really nice. Singapore year round is a bit uncomfortable to me.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:03 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Taiwan is very walkable overall and not just in the big cities. A lot of the smaller towns are densely built. I will say though, if you have a physical disability with walking, the undulation of some of the sidewalks or the public "awning" bits where people can walk (as seen here) can be pretty bad. If you're able-bodied though, it works out pretty great.

It does get really hot though.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I find Taipei extremely walkable. Maybe what you say about the parking is true even in Taipei, but I don't notice it enough to make it a huge problem there. Let's give it like an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. It's also very bike-friendly as well.
Sounds great to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Taipei and Kaohsiung are fine for the most part.
That's the other city I'm interested in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I can't compare it with Taipei, but the walkable areas of Singapore are amazing! And there are extremely large swaths of very walkable areas. But once you go out west from the extremely walkable large swath, it does go very car-oriented. But, I suppose all cities do that to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Taiwan is very walkable overall and not just in the big cities. A lot of the smaller towns are densely built.
Sounds great to me!

Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Taiwan is very walkable overall and not just in the big cities. A lot of the smaller towns are densely built. I will say though, if you have a physical disability with walking, the undulation of some of the sidewalks or the public "awning" bits where people can walk (as seen here) can be pretty bad. If you're able-bodied though, it works out pretty great.

It does get really hot though.
Oy really nailed what I was trying to say. Singapore's walkability is a result of sound planning and investment in infrastructure whereas Taipei's is more haphazard and mostly a result of longstanding density. This difference manifests itself in one being good for less able-bodied folks while the other is not so good.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:37 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
In Taiwan, scooters everywhere and sound of them heard every few seconds, just like Macau.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:30 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds great to me!

That's the other city I'm interested in!

I can't compare it with Taipei, but the walkable areas of Singapore are amazing! And there are extremely large swaths of very walkable areas. But once you go out west from the extremely walkable large swath, it does go very car-oriented. But, I suppose all cities do that to some degree.

Sounds great to me!
Really? I went to the SG suburb of Punggol and it was extremely walkable. To my knowledge Tampines, Jurong West, etcetera are all mostly apartment blocks and are served by subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia