Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 04:19 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times

Advertisements

^haha I've had some pretty bad experiences with taxis in Macau. Man, it was so great when uber was operating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 07:05 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
^haha I've had some pretty bad experiences with taxis in Macau. Man, it was so great when uber was operating
I agree!

Old 09-12-2020, 07:58 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,100 times
It is very late for rich Macau to have a rail system.
Many poorer cities in Asia not in China had earlier.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:02 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times
The last time I visited Macau was 2011 and I felt it was severely overcrowded, even more so than Hong Kong. Hopefully adding this new island to the SAR will relieve the peninsula of the overcrowdedness.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:14 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
I asked my wife if there are any prevalent anti-Macanese feelings she's aware of after spending basically her entire adult life in Guangdong and she said "no." I haven't really heard anything either... Clearly Macau does matter somewhat to the Central and GD governments and their aims or they wouldn't be expanding Macau's zone of influence.

I thought Macau was cool but it's hard to understand exactly how tiny it is until you go there, and that's the main negative thing I've heard about it. The older buildings in the northern peninsula are nearly identical to what you see right across the border and in many other older areas of Guangdong... It's pretty much identical to the neighborhoods a half KM over the border into Zhuhai, or in the Yuexiu, Haizhu, or Panyu districts of GZ, which also have issues with flooding, incidentally...

With the annexation of Hengqin, one thing that they will be able to do (at least theoretically) is build housing, move people over, and redevelop the peninsula. Right now, similar to HK, there's physically nowhere to move people while old districts are developed which exacerbates the housing crunch. HK has had a large loss of standing and in addition to the legal issues, the riots and crackdown have tarnished the city's reputation... Macau hasn't suffered any of this, so I'm sure that some of this is also done in an attempt to push a "safer" alternative as a SAR that has the CCP's blessing rather than its ire.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,100 times
Mainland China is trying to reduce the number of gamblers and money into Macau. The peak time of macau's economy passed.

Looks like Zhuhai has no plan to give most of Hengqin to Macau in the near future.
A better option maybe more reclaimed land from water to the east or southeast of Macau. But Macau won't need much new land as tourists and economy decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia