Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 07:19 PM

76 posts, read 99,660 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

In anime, I always see the characters going to stores, shops during midnight. In fact, sometimes there's even festivals going on in the middle of the night. At least, that's how I idealize Tokyo is similar to Las Vegas, a 24/7 city, where there's music, events and festivities going on.

I wonder if other Japanese cities are similar or if other East Asian cities as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 12:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Besides some tourist destinations, in any major city most people need to sleep at night and go to work early in the morning, so only a very small portion play after midnight.

Some shops are open 24/7 but most are not.
That being said, Asian cities tend to have more active night markets, and many places close later than in the west.

The real sleepless big city I have been to is Cairo. At 3 am, the streets were crowded.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:32 AM

153 posts, read 110,285 times
Definitely quieter at night, but there's never a time when it is weird to walk around to get food or whatever. Full on festival at night is not super common though, unless you mean like 8 PM instead of 4 AM.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:28 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
For Tokyo, Shibuya is phenominal, Kabukicho area is great in doses (for me), Akihabara dies after 8p but there's a few places like Club Mogra (especially if you like anime), Shimbashi seems like salaryman territory but we've had a lot of fun there. This is the city that most of 'it' happens in for pretty obvious reasons. Is it like Las Vegas? No, and thank god it's not. Closer to a combination of LA and NYC, and I like to say there's some 80s/90s lifestyle there that didn't go away (raves, punk concerts under the Yoyogi bridge, etc.).

For Osaka, Shimsaibashi is a lot of fun and convenient, Dotonbouri is pretty good. I'm a bit indifferent about Osaka though as it doesn't really click with me. Still, I've been in bars until 7a and seen people rap to Gansta's Paridise on the bridges, nevermind the idols dancing on the water and whatnot. Akihabara >>> Namba for anime/games/etc. to me.

For Sapporo, Susukino-ku is the *****! However, I feel like you gotta be into the underground culture sometimes. Getting that delicious ramen from Haruka after passing those touts trying to get you a 'massaji' before going to Paper Theater to see IOSYS live with anime gogo dancers. Plus I love the cold weather fashion, Snow Miku (!!!), ice sculpture festival, and Sapporo beer festival.

I've also been to Kyoto, Kobe, Tenri, Hakodate, Nagoya, Sendai, Chiba, and Yokohama (the last two I generally just lump in with Tokyo because of how connected they are.). Kyoto I found boring, but I got to see t+pazolite live. I'm not much of a sightseer, I'd rather be doing things. I love Kobe for food and it's relativeness in the Fate series, though high grade Kobe beef is a once and done because it's just too expensive. Tenri is where my NY Japanese school's 'headquarters' is, so I go there to get my old sensei(s) drunk (lol/emi). Hakodate is gorgeous and has amazing fish, but is bland nightlife wise, however not as dead as I'd expected. Lots of abandoned houses by the old embassies. Nagoya is like Kansai's Tokyo or something, but there was no wow factor. It just felt like Tokyo more than Osaka in pace. Chiba can be rural or not, but that Mandarake way out in the inaka is a godsend for doujinshi sometimes. Just don't go all the way there, it's not worth it. Yokohama has strange cafes, Chinatown, etc. that I love. Orochi Cafe is a personal favorite, but I can't speak on the others due to NSFW. Also the best immigration office in Japan by far!

It's a lifestyle. Been 7 times and stayed for 4 months this year and worked. Still haven't had enough and hopefully will move in 2 years.

Last edited by Javawood; 12-28-2020 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 06:40 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
Not too lively at night in winter because of cold temperature in east Asia, except the non freezing cities in southern China including Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:25 AM

6,542 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
For Tokyo, Shibuya is phenominal, Kabukicho area is great in doses (for me), Akihabara dies after 8p but there's a few places like Club Mogra (especially if you like anime), Shimbashi seems like salaryman territory but we've had a lot of fun there. This is the city that most of 'it' happens in for pretty obvious reasons. Is it like Las Vegas? No, and thank god it's not. Closer to a combination of LA and NYC, and I like to say there's some 80s/90s lifestyle there that didn't go away (raves, punk concerts under the Yoyogi bridge, etc.).

For Osaka, Shimsaibashi is a lot of fun and convenient, Dotonbouri is pretty good. I'm a bit indifferent about Osaka though as it doesn't really click with me. Still, I've been in bars until 7a and seen people rap to Gansta's Paridise on the bridges, nevermind the idols dancing on the water and whatnot. Akihabara >>> Namba for anime/games/etc. to me.

For Sapporo, Susukino-ku is the *****! However, I feel like you gotta be into the underground culture sometimes. Getting that delicious ramen from Haruka after passing those touts trying to get you a 'massaji' before going to Paper Theater to see IOSYS live with anime gogo dancers. Plus I love the cold weather fashion, Snow Miku (!!!), ice sculpture festival, and Sapporo beer festival.

I've also been to Kyoto, Kobe, Tenri, Hakodate, Nagoya, Sendai, Chiba, and Yokohama (the last two I generally just lump in with Tokyo because of how connected they are.). Kyoto I found boring, but I got to see t+pazolite live. I'm not much of a sightseer, I'd rather be doing things. I love Kobe for food and it's relativeness in the Fate series, though high grade Kobe beef is a once and done because it's just too expensive. Tenri is where my NY Japanese school's 'headquarters' is, so I go there to get my old sensei(s) drunk (lol/emi). Hakodate is gorgeous and has amazing fish, but is bland nightlife wise, however not as dead as I'd expected. Lots of abandoned houses by the old embassies. Nagoya is like Kansai's Tokyo or something, but there was no wow factor. It just felt like Tokyo more than Osaka in pace. Chiba can be rural or not, but that Mandarake way out in the inaka is a godsend for doujinshi sometimes. Just don't go all the way there, it's not worth it. Yokohama has strange cafes, Chinatown, etc. that I love. Orochi Cafe is a personal favorite, but I can't speak on the others due to NSFW. Also the best immigration office in Japan by far!

It's a lifestyle. Been 7 times and stayed for 4 months this year and worked. Still haven't had enough and hopefully will move in 2 years.
Roppongi in Tokyo is known to be the all night nightlife spot, popular with ex-pats and military members. That scene got old after awhile though. Personally I like The Hub chain which has locations all over including the suburbs. It's pretty lively early in the evening. In general I'm just not into the late night partying anymore.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
Hey guys,

In anime, I always see the characters going to stores, shops during midnight. In fact, sometimes there's even festivals going on in the middle of the night. At least, that's how I idealize Tokyo is similar to Las Vegas, a 24/7 city, where there's music, events and festivities going on.

I wonder if other Japanese cities are similar or if other East Asian cities as well?

Why rely on anime when you have youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXmdSVhA3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9e3kL9ahA

Old 08-06-2021, 01:18 PM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
No cheap night markets and food like in Taipei, HK, Mainland Chinese cities, Bangkok and other south east Asian cities.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:18 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
Hey guys,

That's most of Asia. I think New York City and Las Vegas are the only real cities like that in North America. I spent 25 years in Asia, and it's real hard to adjust going back to the U.S.

But, yeah, Tokyo and most cities throughout Northeast Asia are the same - Seoul, Osaka, Taipei, Hong Kong, etc. It's often easy to drink all night and suddenly be surprised to see the sunrising, and you still have a beer in your hand.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:45 PM

32 posts, read 15,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

Very interesting take. Thank you so much. If a person wants to visit Tokyo, which area/neighborhood on the Yamanote line is better to get a hotel to enjoy shops, anime, restaurants till late night without having to worry about transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia