Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 08:56 AM

33 posts, read 32,393 times

Advertisements

This is something I been curious for awhile now. Can anyone in this forum with some knowledge about this topic explains to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 11:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
China is very big.
Your question is like, British vs Portuguese, who is genetically closer to other Europeans?

People in Northeast China are closer to Koreans for sure.
It's said some Japanese are genetically closer to people in Southeast China (Zhejiang, Fujian)

Old 01-01-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China is very big.
Your question is like, British vs Portuguese, who is genetically closer to other Europeans?

People in Northeast China are closer to Koreans for sure.
It's said some Japanese are genetically closer to people in Southeast China (Zhejiang, Fujian)
Hmm why is that by the way? Why do you think Japanese are genetically closer to the people in Southern China rather then Northern China?

Last edited by OttoVonbismarck; 01-01-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 07:34 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,938 times
Their diet is different from most Chinese.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:32 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,475,037 times
japanese are from korea and tawian

Old 01-02-2021, 01:39 PM

671 posts, read 315,541 times
I would say japanese.

it was chinese that came to the island during to chin dynasty (note the chin in chinese), chin was the first dynasty

koreans on the other hand are more closer to the manchurians/chosen in the changbai mountain. manchurians did not become chinese until the qing dynasty which is the last dynasty

Old 01-02-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
I would say japanese.

it was chinese that came to the island during to chin dynasty (note the chin in chinese), chin was the first dynasty

koreans on the other hand are more closer to the manchurians/chosen in the changbai mountain. manchurians did not become chinese until the qing dynasty which is the last dynasty
Japanese to me generally has quite unique looks in comparison to other Asians. I feel like they don't look like any other Asian at all.

I found that Northern Chinese, Korean and Mongolian do resemble each other physically.

By the way Southern Chinese, Thai, Vietnameses and Taiwanese could also easily pass for one another and in general do resemble each other.

Malaysian, Indonesian and Filipino are also hard to tell apart physically.

Japanese is somewhat the stand alone Asian that I can usually tell right away when someone is from Japan.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoVonbismarck View Post
Japanese to me generally has quite unique looks in comparison to other Asians. I feel like they don't look like any other Asian at all.

I found that Northern Chinese, Korean and Mongolian do resemble each other physically.

By the way Southern Chinese, Thai, Vietnameses and Taiwanese could also easily pass for one another and in general do resemble each other.

Malaysian, Indonesian and Filipino are also hard to tell apart physically.

Japanese is somewhat the stand alone Asian that I can usually tell right away when someone is from Japan.
Japanese people used to have unique fashion tastes, and they groom and dress in a certain way.
Their facial expressions are also kind of different, due to their culture.

If you look at ethnic Japanese who were raised in China by Chinese parents (there were quite a lot after WWII), they look just like local Chinese for the most part.

That said, the Ainu people are very different from other East Asians. (But in China you can find more "exotic" types in some regions).

Old 01-02-2021, 04:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Koreans.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 AM

114 posts, read 54,652 times
Japanese are from chinese immigrants in east china (close to Shanghai). Spoken Japanese sounds very similar to Wenzhou (a city in Zhejiang province) dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia