Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:49 AM

108 posts, read 87,542 times

Advertisements

I've heard Iranians saying that they look more like Southern Europeans than other Middle Easterners, and that Islam is the only thing they share in common. I've heard Syrians saying the same thing. I've heard Northern Africans saying the same thing.

Some Southern European look like Northern European too, but that come as no surprise. Even though there is a trend in populations' phenotypes, looks are a continuum and some overlapping is a natural occurrence even if the bulk is distinguishable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 08:55 AM

215 posts, read 144,951 times
they have a Mediterranean Greek / Italian / Malta people appearance

sometimes Ive mistaken people from Egypt as Italians because of the light complexion.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:06 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
I am waiting for K&G to do a vid on the phenotype and geneaology of the various nomadic groups. But here is a good vid about Turks in Anatolia. They appear to be mixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgq...1vX9LasvGENkb7

Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhotunKhan View Post
Results..
Thank you, OP. So you can see, that there are several haplogroups labeled as "Mesopotamian". It's the most dominant group (yellow), and even larger, if you add all the Hg's that include "Mesopotamian" in their description.

So that was what the posters were talking about, on the older thread I mentioned, as Turks being "Middle-Eastern". And then you might add to that the G group "Caucasic, Greco-Anatolian". The Inso-Euro components (R1a, R1b) add up to a much smaller percentage, though still significant, to which one could add the I Hg (pre-Indo-Euro/Nordic).

Old 04-01-2021, 11:51 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhotunKhan View Post
What made me really curious is why some people tent to "stereotyped" similarities between different ethnic groups based on similarities in culture?

Why not "stereotyped" similarities between different ethnic groups based on genetic or physical appearance?
Oh, I see. So you're complaining about the fact that, because Turkey is mainly an Islamic country, Turks get lumped in with Semitic peoples, mainly Arabs?

Yeah, because....people are ignorant. All most Westerners know about Turkey is that it's Islamic. Well, and the language is an Asiatic one, or non-Indo-Euro, at least. (They may not even be aware that Turkic peoples originated in Inner Asia.)

You're asking for more subtlety in discernment about ethnicity, than the average person is capable of making. Sorry, that's just the way it is. It takes a higher level of education than most people acquire, especially on issues outside of their experience, to be able to avoid stereotyping and have a clear view of certain aspects of reality.

Perhaps your thread should be moved to the Psychology section, lol.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Paganism forever!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_mythology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengrism

Old 04-01-2021, 05:10 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
What's true of Turkey could be said about some Central Asians, Northern Berbers, Levantine, and some Iranian peoples. For me Turkey is definitely the most European looking of those groups, but Lebanese are often up there with them, and Kabyle Berbers as well. Many Latinos/Latinas fall into this category as well.

Turks in Europe get otherized because theirs's far more of a distinction between a "German" and a "Russian" or "Spanish" person. But a Turkish girl takes of her hijab (A high percent of them don't wear hijabs in the first place compared to other Islamic countries), 9/10 Americans think she's just a regular white girl.

Turks fall into the category of individuals versus groups. For example you can almost always mistake a certain percentage of Ethiopians and Somalis for West Africans, but in groups it's fairly easy distinction to make. A group of Turkish people may look distinct from other European groups, but in the same way a group of Spaniards look different from a group of Scandinavians, and even English, French, Russian and German peoples have some distinctive-ish looks. Turks fall into this category.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:33 PM

136 posts, read 130,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

What do you meant by "Paganism"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia