Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 03:33 PM

105 posts, read 127,408 times

Advertisements

Is "borrowing" money and not paying back a custom and part of the culture in the Philippines?

Is borrowing just another word for asking for money? This is a real head shaker for me. My in-laws always seems to get suckered in to this. Its usually relatives or domestic help who "borrow" money. Its been happening quite a bit. A relative comes knocking and asks for php40,000 for tuition of their child!! What the hell! Then the maid asks to borrow Php200,000 so she can buy her father's house in the province. Then later Php20,000 for her father's expenses. Then later another Php30,000 for her son's tuition!! WTF!! All promising to pay it by a certain date after her sister gets a loan from the GSIS....bwahahaha.... I keep telling my in-laws to kiss those monies goodbye!! Well, they are supposed to deduct it from her salary.... That means she'll be working till her her hair turns gray. As to the relative who borrowed for tuition months ago, the payment still remains to be seen.

So back to the question. Is this common practice? Is it better not to lend money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 05:35 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,442,055 times
The Thais operate in a similar fashion, and even make it practically a part time occupation...some specialize in small amounts, others large amounts.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:22 PM

8,515 posts, read 6,931,104 times
The old scam that the family’s water buffalo just died. A Thai classic.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:25 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,442,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The old scam that the family’s water buffalo just died. A Thai classic.
"My mom is a cancer"....

Old 06-04-2021, 01:01 AM

1,136 posts, read 529,321 times
These requests are quite common in parts of Asia where large number of people can't afford health care, education, housing and food. When a person is perceived to be rich, including foreigners from the US, Canada and Japan, they usually are the persons people may rely on. Many are actually honest poor people while some are scammers. The cultures about money are too different from western countries.

You better check before you give out your money, unless you are very rich.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 AM

Don't these people have any shame?

Old 06-04-2021, 10:40 AM

574 posts, read 378,426 times
People in the Philippines are family oriented to the point that those who find employment overseas send money home to support the family. Overseas Filipino workers (OFW's) take jobs around the world for low pay as it is still better than none or limited opportunities at home. And a large portion of that is sent home to their families.

Total of 33 billion dollars last year which is 10% of Philippine GDP was sent home from overseas.

Sons and daughters will work overseas and send money home to support family and many times their own children who are being taken care of by other family members. Anyone in the family who has any kind of income is going to get hit on for money from multiple directions. Some have very large families.

Now the water buffalo dying is another thing altogether. I think more common in Thailand is the set up where western men are sending money to their Thai girlfriend who they met on their last visit. Do some research. She may have several western boyfriends sending her money making thousands of dollars a month. And she will make up a crisis on a regular basis and hit on each boyfriend for money to save her sick mother, father, niece, etc. Maybe pay the kidnappers ransom to get her hamster safely returned? And she no longer works in the bar as she is saving herself for when he returns?

Old 06-05-2021, 12:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,523,869 times
this is common in every culture,think back then there is no such thing as credit card with line of credit or consumer loan or student loan,you just have to turn to a relative,employer,pawn shop pr shark loan .
When I was in NYC back in 1980s,someone 's cousin borrowed $200 with her gold chain ,thats NY,NY,USA

Old 06-08-2021, 09:39 AM

uh....what I am pointing out is that these "borrowed" monies are never paid back. And as far as I am concerned that just a bunch of BS.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:01 AM

8,515 posts, read 6,931,104 times
But remember the Philippines is mostly a bank less society. Many people don’t make enough money to have a bank account or utilize a traditional loan. There’s also a loan shark industry mostly dominated by Indians who charge exorbitant rates. So many “borrow” from friends or relatives with an unspoken understanding that it’s a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia