Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 12:53 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Anyone can use Android, including Huawei, because Android is open-source. That's why it is not a problem for Huawei. On that open-source operating system any smartphone maker can make their own customized operating system.

However, Google Services, which are kind of add-ons for Android, are a problem for Huawei, but that only outside China. Outside China one can get around Google Services, but it takes some knowledge, which most people probably don't have.
It is actually a problem in China too as many foreign apps use Google Play Services.

Hence, Xiaomi has Google Play Services pre-installed on phones sold in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 01:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,824,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I can name Slack, Google Cloud, Microsoft 365, Salesforce and Creatio. They are all American companies with global reach.

And you don't even know the name of any Huawei software used outside of China? It shows that Huawei is primarily a hardware company and their recent interest in software is just due to the failure of their core business.
Oh, you added something to your previous post.

Yes, I am not an IT guy, so I don't remember the names of software products, be it Huawei or other. I have never heard of Creatio and Slack, either.
Within China with its huge cloud market various Chinese tech companies operate their own systems, whatever their names are:

https://www.chinainternetwatch.com/3...ture-services/

Old 02-02-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It is actually a problem in China too as many foreign apps use Google Play Services.

Hence, Xiaomi has Google Play Services pre-installed on phones sold in China.

Not really, there are corresponding Chinese apps for virtually any foreign apps.
Nobody in China needs to use foreign apps and Google Play Services if they don't want to.

And even if they are installed on Xiaomi phones, that doesn't mean people actually use them.

I live in Europe and I have never used them either, although they are installed I think.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Not really, there are corresponding Chinese apps for virtually any foreign apps.
Nobody in China needs to use foreign apps and Google Play Services if they don't want to.

And even if they are installed on Xiaomi phones, that doesn't mean people actually use them.

I live in Europe and I have never used them either, although they are installed I think.
You got it wrong way. Most Chinese have no need for foreign apps and it is also hard to access. There are lots of apps that have no proper alternative in China, but for an average Chinese it doesn't matter.

One clear example of apps using Google Play services are bank apps. A Chinese person with a foreign bank account might want to access their bank account from his phone, and that might be a problem if he has a Huawei phone.

And Chinese do take their phones abroad sometimes, increasing the chance that they will encounter some apps that need Google Play Services.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You got it wrong way. Most Chinese have no need for foreign apps and it is also hard to access. There are lots of apps that have no proper alternative in China, but for an average Chinese it doesn't matter.

One clear example of apps using Google Play services are bank apps. A Chinese person with a foreign bank account might want to access their bank account from his phone, and that might be a problem if he has a Huawei phone.

And Chinese do take their phones abroad sometimes, increasing the chance that they will encounter some apps that need Google Play Services.
They can always use Alipay etc. It is widely accepted here in Portugal for instance.

My Portuguese bank offers a dedicated banking app for Huawei's os:

Other banks here as well, I just checked.
Attached Thumbnails
Capitalism Hasn't Democratized China-huawei.jpg  

Old 02-03-2022, 12:55 PM

671 posts, read 319,411 times
Quote:
You wrote that the Korean war made China realize
"China is not safe and must put all resource on military until after they get the atomic bomb"
So, I ask you, how would they have used the atomic bomb in the Korean war. I also asked you, is Korea inside China? It is a little bit strange that you claim it is a defensive war, when it did not happen inside China.

I will not stop telling about the massive population and distance advantage China had during the opium wars. You claim it doesn't matter, but that is just excuses.
no, I did not say the korean war made china realize that
that statement has nothing to do with the korean war. china realized they are not safe when you westerners show up.

you didn't even know what happened during the opium wars or any history for that matter.
it's a pointless debate. if the massive population and distance advantage means anything, the age of imperialism would not happen. you europeans will have been stayed in europe for good, instead of colonizing other continents.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
no, I did not say the korean war made china realize that
that statement has nothing to do with the korean war. china realized they are not safe when you westerners show up.

you didn't even know what happened during the opium wars or any history for that matter.
it's a pointless debate. if the massive population and distance advantage means anything, the age of imperialism would not happen. you europeans will have been stayed in europe for good, instead of colonizing other continents.
Westerners didn't show up in China, the war happened in Korea. In addition, the nuclear bomb wouldn't help keep China safe as they didn't have enough or any way to use it. I asked you, how would they have used the nuclear bomb in the Korean war, and you were not able to provide any answer, proving my point.

In terms of Opium wars, Let me make it simple for you
1. The advantage of a large population and distance are huge
2. Despite having these advantages, China lost anyway

Conclusion: China lost the opium wars and subsequent wars because it was poor and dysfunctional. Colonialism did not keep China poor, the Qing dynasty did. If it had managed its country better, it would have no problem defending its territory and keeping drugs out.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Westerners didn't show up in China, the war happened in Korea. In addition, the nuclear bomb wouldn't help keep China safe as they didn't have enough or any way to use it. I asked you, how would they have used the nuclear bomb in the Korean war, and you were not able to provide any answer, proving my point.

In terms of Opium wars, Let me make it simple for you

Conclusion: China lost the opium wars and subsequent wars because it was poor and dysfunctional. Colonialism did not keep China poor, the Qing dynasty did. If it had managed its country better, it would have no problem defending its territory and keeping drugs out.
I think we may have some communication problem. I think we are misunderstanding each other. Some of the stuff you think that I said/meant is not what I said/meant.

I will try one last time to reply one at a time

"Westerners didn't show up in China" ? is this a serious statement?

"the war happened in Korea. In addition, the nuclear bomb wouldn't help keep China safe as they didn't have enough or any way to use it"
agree, china do not have nukes during the korean war. china is not safe until they got nukes sometimes after.

" I asked you, how would they have used the nuclear bomb in the Korean war, and you were not able to provide any answer, proving my point."

I did not say that could/would have used nuke in korean war, because they don't have it yet. I think there is some misunderstanding here.

"In terms of Opium wars, Let me make it simple for you
2. Despite having these advantages, China lost anyway"

I'm going to modify this and you tell me if it makes any sense

In terms of western Imprerial powers colonizing the world, Let me make it simple for you
2. Despite having these advantages, natives in asia, america, australia lost anyway

Old 02-04-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
"Westerners didn't show up in China" ? is this a serious statement?
You were the one who said, "westerners showed up". Unless you specifically say "westerners showed up in X country" I will assume that you mean China.

And as I told you multiple times, the Korean war happened in Korea.

Quote:
I did not say that could/would have used nuke in korean war, because they don't have it yet. I think there is some misunderstanding here.
It is a "what if" question. What if China had nuclear weapons during the Korean war, how would that have helped China?

If you can't think about any use, then you are just proving my point that the nuclear bomb would not keep China safe as they had no proper use for it.

Quote:
"In terms of Opium wars, Let me make it simple for you
2. Despite having these advantages, China lost anyway"

I'm going to modify this and you tell me if it makes any sense

In terms of western Imprerial powers colonizing the world, Let me make it simple for you
2. Despite having these advantages, natives in asia, america, australia lost anyway
You are wrong about the population advantage. Most countries that got colonized did not have a population advantage.

In 1820, here is estimated population of some selected regions

China: 381
India: 209
Western Europe: 130
Other Asia: 90
Africa 70
Japan: 31
Latin America: 20

As we know, Africa, Latin America, India, and parts of other Asia got colonized. Only India and China had a population advantage against the Europeans and India was not united.

Hence in terms of the opium wars

Old 02-04-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You were the one who said, "westerners showed up". Unless you specifically say "westerners showed up in X country" I will assume that you mean China.

And as I told you multiple times, the Korean war happened in Korea.
Westerners already showed up for a thousand year already before the korean war. I'm wasn't talking about the korean war with that statement

Quote:
It is a "what if" question. What if China had nuclear weapons during the Korean war, how would that have helped China?

If you can't think about any use, then you are just proving my point that the nuclear bomb would not keep China safe as they had no proper use for it.
we're done with "what if" question really, especially when you have a hard time understanding me. It's meaningless to give "what if" questions.

Quote:
You are wrong about the population advantage. Most countries that got colonized did not have a population advantage.

In 1820, here is estimated population of some selected regions

China: 381
India: 209
Western Europe: 130
Other Asia: 90
Africa 70
Japan: 31
Latin America: 20

As we know, Africa, Latin America, India, and parts of other Asia got colonized. Only India and China had a population advantage against the Europeans and India was not united.

Hence in terms of the opium wars
so you just proved my point, by the time the westerners conquers china, they already colonized america/africa/australia/india. China did the best compare to those. Who tell you that china was united at that time? there are rebelions every where.

Just to give you a little history about the opium war, the british fleet chose not to engage with the defense in canton and instead sail straight north to attack tianjin and threatens to attack the capital. That's what forced the qing to sign the treaties. China is too big to defend the entire coast line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia