Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2022, 08:38 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,460,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
, I hope it’s inevitable that as China’s middle class grows and achieves a similar level of prosperity as the western countries, the politicians in the country will have no choice but to allow for more freedoms.
...and as their populace continues gaining prosperity it will come at the expense of prosperity in the US for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 10:03 PM
pdw

2,722 posts, read 3,140,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
...and as their populace continues gaining prosperity it will come at the expense of prosperity in the US for one.
I don’t personally why that has to necessarily be true.

From a very simplistic standpoint, why should a country of 310 million have more combined wealth than a country four times the size?

The concept of “you need to be a loser for me to remain a winner” is a scarcity mindset that is going to become inevitably less and less valid as technology improves the living standards of people across the planet. I don’t feel exactly thrilled with the idea of China becoming a military expansionist geopolitical bully like the United States, but that’s because I don’t think any country should do that. We don’t need any country to be a “World police”.

Pacific Rim countries should choose for themselves who’d they’d prefer to have trade and military associations with, rather than from external pressure from the US or China. Although, given the choice between the two, almost every country would prefer the US given China’s extreme dictatorship. Better yet, it would probably be better for everyone if countries just stayed neutral and stopped getting involved with these stupid military-industrial conflicts, but that’s a story for another thread.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:12 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,096,269 times
Quote:
Understanding the psychological hierarchy of needs, I hope it’s inevitable that as China’s middle class grows and achieves a similar level of prosperity as the western countries, the politicians in the country will have no choice but to allow for more freedoms.
It's the other way. To achieve similar level of prosperity as the western countries, China will need to adopt many of their policies including more freedoms. Reforming the justice system is probably even more important. This is something previous leaders of China understood, but recently there has been a regression towards the mistakes from the past.

If China does not reform, it will get stuck in the middle income trap. The fact that there isn't a single rich country without oil, that has low score in the democracy index, proves that China cannot remain at the bottom and still get rich.

Another evidence of this is Hong Kong, who did much better than the mainland in justice and democracy rankings. Hong Kong saw its growth nosedive after the crackdowns started. Despite the growth in 2021, it is still down significantly since 2019, and is about to drop again due to the strict covid lockdowns demanded by Beijing. Even cities that are already rich, won't remain rich if they get rid of their civil rights.

Last edited by Camlon; 02-19-2022 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-19-2022, 11:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 8,508,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If China does not reform, it will get stuck in the middle income trap. The fact that there isn't a single rich country without oil, that has low score in the democracy index, proves that China cannot remain at the bottom and still get rich.
Don't you know that index is funded by the CIA according to countries ranked in the bottom?

Old 02-19-2022, 11:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,096,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Don't you know that index is funded by the CIA according to countries ranked in the bottom?
Yes, heard than one before, but if it really was biased towards rich countries to show that democracy is needed to get rich, then we should have seen China gradually rise in the ranking as it gets richer, but in reality it has never been lower since the first data in 2006..

Old 02-20-2022, 03:22 AM

671 posts, read 320,277 times
Quote:
I don’t personally why that has to necessarily be true.

From a very simplistic standpoint, why should a country of 310 million have more combined wealth than a country four times the size?

The concept of “you need to be a loser for me to remain a winner” is a scarcity mindset that is going to become inevitably less and less valid as technology improves the living standards of people across the planet. I don’t feel exactly thrilled with the idea of China becoming a military expansionist geopolitical bully like the United States, but that’s because I don’t think any country should do that. We don’t need any country to be a “World police”.

Pacific Rim countries should choose for themselves who’d they’d prefer to have trade and military associations with, rather than from external pressure from the US or China. Although, given the choice between the two, almost every country would prefer the US given China’s extreme dictatorship. Better yet, it would probably be better for everyone if countries just stayed neutral and stopped getting involved with these stupid military-industrial conflicts, but that’s a story for another thread.
but but...we need to stop the "genocides"!!! jp

we already have a world police for many years now, it doesn't matter if we need it or not, it won't go away as it will always find enemies (both real and imaginary) to justice its existence.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:59 AM

2,156 posts, read 1,460,537 times
Quote:

Wealth should be determined mostly by who is earning the money. China is gaining on the US daily, because they are working harder.

Quote:

In my experience it is always a welcome sign when one of my competitors has a setback or drops out. In some situations, I'm the sure the pie can be enlarged, and all can benefit. With other circumstances I don't believe much in that abundance mindset. I believe If China gains, it will mostly be at US expense directly or indirectly. We can either work harder, play dirty, or a combo of the two. I mostly see we play dirty and are working less. It is hard to respect this as it is closely related to entitlement.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,832,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"In a report about Fake news censorship in July 2019, New Eastern Outlook reported that both Berletic's Twitter and Facebook accounts had been deleted." LINK

Another obtuse arcane shill lackey.

Next.
To the contrary, he is a great source of information. When someone gets deleted on Twitter and FB, it is a kind of compliment, because he or she is considered a threat.

He is on Twitter again these days, I think, not sure about FB. Who cares, he has his own site and is also on other platforms...

Last edited by Neuling; 02-20-2022 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-20-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
How about you do that, so you are capable of explaining your own opinion with more than one sentence.

First off, you said "irrelevant"

Secondly, how can it be minor importance if you also claim that a non-benevolent China would invade Taiwan as a response to Lithuania opening a Taiwan consulate.

Make up your mind, and try again. You can start by explaining how Germany will collapse under Venezuela style sanctions.
No, I won't waste my time on something others have already explained in great detail.

Exactly, IF Lithuania WERE relevant or more important, China would not be so benevolent and patient.
A pseudo-consulate of such a minor country is certainly nothing China takes so seriously as to use the military. Their response is of an economic nature.

No, again, I won't waste any time explaining something obvious. It doesn't matter which country it is, Venezuela, Germany, Ghana...

Old 02-20-2022, 10:55 AM

The idea that wealth is tied to Western-style democracy is silly and narrow-minded. Saudi-Arabia for instance is filthy rich, yet it has no democracy at all. I am not saying that I recommend Saudi-Arabia's ruthless system, quite to the contrary.

Historically, a lot of countries were richest when they were monarchies in centuries gone by. I live in one, Portugal, which used to be a world power, now it is virtually irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia