Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2022, 01:43 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, I won't waste my time on something others have already explained in great detail.

Exactly, IF Lithuania WERE relevant or more important, China would not be so benevolent and patient.
A pseudo-consulate of such a minor country is certainly nothing China takes so seriously as to use the military. Their response is of an economic nature.

No, again, I won't waste any time explaining something obvious. It doesn't matter which country it is, Venezuela, Germany, Ghana...
You seem to have plenty of time for off topic discussions and explaining why you should not respond.

And no, I am not going to search for your arguments, that is your job.

Quote:
The idea that wealth is tied to Western-style democracy is silly and narrow-minded. Saudi-Arabia for instance is filthy rich, yet it has no democracy at all.
Saudi Arabia is not filthy rich, go check any GDP per capita ranking. In fact Saudi Arabia GDP per capita is the same as Lithuania, the country you love to hate.

Maybe you should check some sources before embarrassing yourself by spouting nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 02:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,824,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You seem to have plenty of time for off topic discussions and explaining why you should not respond.

And no, I am not going to search for your arguments, that is your job.

Saudi Arabia is not filthy rich, go check any GDP per capita ranking. In fact Saudi Arabia GDP per capita is the same as Lithuania, the country you love to hate.

Maybe you should check some sources before embarrassing yourself by spouting nonsense?
I told you where to find the info, if you don't care, that is your business...

I only consider PPP values because they are more telling than nominal GDP. The Saudis are richer than Lithuanians.
And that country is even richer than it seems, Saudi-Arabia is filthy rich. Check out their wealth fund.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I told you where to find the info, if you don't care, that is your business...

I only consider PPP values because they are more telling than nominal GDP. The Saudis are richer than Lithuanians.
And that country is even richer than it seems, Saudi-Arabia is filthy rich. Check out their wealth fund.
Why would I want the "info" from a pro-CCP shill who has never lived in China and has other despicable opinions such as women have a duty to get kids and there are something wrong with homosexuals brains.

And using PPP won't save your ass, Saudi Arabia is still far behind the countries at the top, hence not filthy rich.

And Saudi Arabia is an oil country, it would be poor if it didn't have oil.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,824,598 times
Quote:
Why would I want the "info" from a pro-CCP shill who has never lived in China and has other despicable opinions such as women have a duty to get kids and there are something wrong with homosexuals brains.

And using PPP won't save your ass, Saudi Arabia is still far behind the countries at the top, hence not filthy rich.

And Saudi Arabia is an oil country, it would be poor if it didn't have oil.
You take info from all kinds of people who have never lived in China. Your government, your media etc.
My opinions are not despicable just because you don't share them. People are just not used to opinions anymore that are not politically correct.
This is the wrong thread, but I am always available to explain and defend those two opinions that seem to get you so upset.

I did not say every Saudi is filthy rich, but the country Saudi-Arabia is filthy rich. And it is, just like Qatar, the Emirates, and a few others.
Sure, their wealth comes mostly from oil and gas. So?
In fact, the Saudis have created their giant wealth fund BECAUSE they know their petro profits might end soon as the world gives up on fossil fuels because of the climate. Because SA is rich, employees don't even pay income tax, the government doesn't need the money.
Norway has a similar fund, for the same reasons.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You take info from all kinds of people who have never lived in China. Your government, your media etc.
I only listen to people who explain their opinions. If a newspaper just wrote the conclusion like you do and told the readers to read their sources, then I would not take info from them.

People who refuse to explain their opinions are not worth listening to. That is especially the case if they have other despicable opinions such as women have a duty to get kids and there are something wrong with homosexuals brains. Those opinions are not despicable because I don't share them, they are despicable because last time those opinions were mainstream in the west was Nazi Germany in WW2.

Quote:
I did not say every Saudi is filthy rich, but the country Saudi-Arabia is filthy rich. And it is, just like Qatar, the Emirates, and a few others.
Sure, their wealth comes mostly from oil and gas. So?
Normal people equate a country being rich with the people being rich. Hence, based on what normal people say, Saudi Arabia is not filthy rich as its GDP per capita is far behind the best performers.

And I already told you why it matters. Without oil, Saudi Arabia would be a poor country. It is not the system that is working well, Saudi Arabia is upper middle income because it is lucky to have a lot of easily extracted oil.

That is why I said there are no countries without oil, that is rich and on the bottom of the democracy ranking. That shows that China, which is an oil importer, will have to reform to a system more similar to the west if it does not want to get stuck in the middle income trap.

Last edited by Camlon; 02-21-2022 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 09:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
That is why I said there are no countries without oil, that is rich and on the bottom of the democracy ranking. That shows that China, which is an oil importer, will have to reform to a system more similar to the west if it does not want to get stuck in the middle income trap.
Well Singapore is, though it's a city so it doesn't really count.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well Singapore is, though it's a city so it doesn't really count.
Singapore has a score of 6.23 out of 10, so it's not at the bottom of the democracy index. China only got 2.21.

When I say that China can't remain at the bottom and get rich, what I am implying is that China needs to become more like Singapore.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Singapore has a score of 6.23 out of 10, so it's not at the bottom of the democracy index. China only got 2.21.

When I say that China can't remain at the bottom and get rich, what I am implying is that China needs to become more like Singapore.
6.23 is terrible.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
6.23 is terrible.
Yes, Singapore score the lowest of all developed countries without oil. But it is high enough for Singapore economy to function well.

China might not be able to follow Singapore's model, because city states have inherent advantages, but at least there is a model. The existing path has only been followed by oil states and non-rich countries.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Yes, Singapore score the lowest of all developed countries without oil. But it is high enough for Singapore economy to function well.

China might not be able to follow Singapore's model, because city states have inherent advantages, but at least there is a model. The existing path has only been followed by oil states and non-rich countries.
Singapore is plenty like China already. Honestly Singapore's score is inflated. It should be lower. It's not a democracy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia