Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 10:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,824,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Is it guaranteed Xi will be re-elected in the next Peoples Congress, or is there a chance they choose someone else to take over? I know they removed term limits from the constitution but that doesn’t make him “El Presidente” for life as it has often been suggested, does it? Wouldn’t it be nice if someone was chosen who wants to put a stop to this and actually have talks with Taiwan
That makes no sense. Xi has been trying to talk to Taiwan for years, but Taiwan's separatist government tries to boycott all peaceful engagement with the mainland.
No Chinese government will give up Taiwan, reunification will always remain on the agenda, be it peacefully or militarily, if necessary.

The West should be happy Xi is in power because a lot of Chinese people are far less patient with and generous towards Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 AM

671 posts, read 319,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
What a laughably ridiculous statement. Unless you've gone full-tilt Xi Jinping Thought revisionist, this is nonsensical.

Poverty being "eradicated" is BS, just a buzzword. And I know that in large part because I lived in China for a long time. It's not "bad things the western media tells me." It's my experience being there and putting the narrative they push against the reality I saw firsthand. Can you say the same?
i didn't even say anything about "eradicated", I don't use buzz words.
I can say what I have saw first hand, as I can see many problems that plague china before xi took office.

if you have been to the US and china, tell me which country have more homeless people on the street now, compare to 10 years ago.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If the information was easily accessible, then it would be easy to get.

Just to give you an example, lets say I want information about voting in Rio. With a few quick searches I found that the next national and state election is 2 October 2022. I also got some information about who is running and what they stand for. When I switched to Portuguese, I was also able to find the voting information in different districts.

But in China, finding information is very difficult. You can switch to Chinese, you still won't be able to find that information easily. The reason you don't know is because you don't know anything about China and get all your information from sites like r/genzedong. The reality is that most people in China have no idea when and how to vote, just like you.

Again, you don't know anything about China. Elections in China are not limited to party members. It might be 100 million who voted, which would mean that China has a pathetic 7% election participation rate.

I don't want a nanny state that controls my every step to protect lives, but that is not the point.

Your point is that China wants a zero covid nanny state, to protect lives. If that is true, then China would also try to avoid people from dying from other causes, especially when it is easy such as enforcing seat belts, car safety seats and motorbike helmets.

But they don't, clearly indicating that zero covid is not about protecting lives.

I didn't claim elections in Shenzhen are like elections in Rio.
But I am sure people in Shenzhen, who speak the language (unlike me), can easily find out when and where those congresses are and how they can participate. After all, this is only of interest to people interested in politics.
Conversely, since I am an opponent of Western democracy, I have never voted in all my life and I have no clue when and where elections are held where I live, simply because I don't want to know.

I did not say elections are limited to party members. In fact I said "The CPC ALONE has about 100 million members by now..."
I prefer 10% of the population making good personnel decisions to 50-70% of the population making bad ones, as is common in the West because, let's face it, most people are not qualified to understand important political topics.

People in the West can't vote for anyone they like, either, they can only choose from a very short list of candidates pre-selected through party scheming, corruption etc. And sometimes they don't even get that, but a coalition forms while the most-voted party ends up in the opposition. Happened here in Portugal 2 elections back. Or take Germany, where the Greens, who ended up third in the elections, are now controlling major departments (economy, foreign affairs etc.) due to coalition agreements. I doubt Germans wanted those incompetent Greens to have that much power.

If China were a nanny state regarding Covid, it would have made vaccination mandatory, but that is not the case. Unlike in some Western countries I might add...

The approach is not zero Covid, but dynamic zero Covid. Again, as mentioned before, the main reason for sticking to it is that in China the new coronavirus has been considered a bioweapon attack on China from the very start. And the Chinese leaders look at the West and other regions where they just let it slide, and they know the Chinese people would not accept hundreds of Covid deaths every day like in the US. Not wearing a safety belt can not spiral out of control and make the economy and health care system collapse, it is not contagious like a virus.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:02 PM

1,224 posts, read 561,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As if China's economic and political system were any of our business
Unlike the West, which in its racist imperialist fashion keeps trying to force its sh*t on the whole word, China is not even trying to export its system.

I find it hilarious when people on other continents call China a threat because it refuses our imperialism.
The West has the least racist people on Earth, one of the reasons people globally flock to the west.

This is a good take on the Han Chinese mindset, long article about Chinese colonization of Africa.

[LEFT] What do the Chinese people think of Africans? They don’t hold them in high regard. Of course, you’ve got to remember that China has viewed itself as the center of the world since Day One. They see all non-Han peoples as barbarians, as inferiors. That was absolutely true when the British sent an ambassador, Macartney, to open relations at the very end of the 18[/LEFT]th[LEFT] C. He was treated with borderline contempt—pretty much the way Europeans and Americans have treated primitive peoples since the days of Columbus. It’s actually the normal human attitude, when an advanced culture encounters a backward culture. The Chinese see their culture as superior to even that of the West, and believe—probably correctly—that they’ll soon be economically and technologically superior as well.
https://www.caseyresearch.com/daily-dispatch/doug-casey-on-chinas-exploitation-of-africa/
[/LEFT]

Old 08-10-2022, 03:11 PM

1,684 posts, read 894,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
The West has the least racist people on Earth, one of the reasons people globally flock to the west.

This is a good take on the Han Chinese mindset, long article about Chinese colonization of Africa.

[LEFT] What do the Chinese people think of Africans? They don’t hold them in high regard. Of course, you’ve got to remember that China has viewed itself as the center of the world since Day One. They see all non-Han peoples as barbarians, as inferiors. That was absolutely true when the British sent an ambassador, Macartney, to open relations at the very end of the 18[/LEFT]th[LEFT] C. He was treated with borderline contempt—pretty much the way Europeans and Americans have treated primitive peoples since the days of Columbus. It’s actually the normal human attitude, when an advanced culture encounters a backward culture. The Chinese see their culture as superior to even that of the West, and believe—probably correctly—that they’ll soon be economically and technologically superior as well.
https://www.caseyresearch.com/daily-dispatch/doug-casey-on-chinas-exploitation-of-africa/
[/LEFT]
I about spit out my water when I read this line. I'm sure Native Americans, Aborigines', African Americans, and host of other people would vehemently disagree. You can't make this stuff up. People on CD are hilarious.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:00 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,412 times
Quote:
I didn't claim elections in Shenzhen are like elections in Rio.
But I am sure people in Shenzhen, who speak the language (unlike me), can easily find out when and where those congresses are and how they can participate. After all, this is only of interest to people interested in politics.
Conversely, since I am an opponent of Western democracy, I have never voted in all my life and I have no clue when and where elections are held where I live, simply because I don't want to know.
How can you be sure of that, when you can't speak the language?

I have already tried to search in Chinese, and I asked some people that are Chinese to try. To get real information you basically have to get a phone number and call them up, as websites provide information too late and lack details.

Quote:
I prefer 10% of the population making good personnel decisions to 50-70% of the population making bad ones, as is common in the West because, let's face it, most people are not qualified to understand important political topics.
That is not democracy.

Also, being a party member doesn't mean you decide anything. You need to be a party member and a political representative, and that is only around 1% of the population.

Quote:
If China were a nanny state regarding Covid, it would have made vaccination mandatory, but that is not the case. Unlike in some Western countries I might add...
China wouldn't hesitate making vaccine mandatory if the plan was to open up and reduce deaths, but as their plan is to keep zero covid, then vaccination isn't very useful.

However, covid testing, quarantine centers and covid camps are mandatory. They also have the right to separate you from your children and break into your home. That is what a covid nanny state does.

Quote:
Again, as mentioned before, the main reason for sticking to it is that in China the new coronavirus has been considered a bioweapon attack on China from the very start. And the Chinese leaders look at the West and other regions where they just let it slide, and they know the Chinese people would not accept hundreds of Covid deaths every day like in the US. Not wearing a safety belt can not spiral out of control and make the economy and health care system collapse, it is not contagious like a virus.
Chinese totally accepted it in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Mainlanders would accept it too, especially if they gave them those covid pills they have been talking about.

Also, hundred of covid deaths per day is nothing. It means that in a town of 10,000 people, which would have thousands of eldery, then 1 person would die of covid every 60 day. And the person who dies is probably some old person who might have died of influenza in the past.

People who don't care about securing their own kids in traffic, certainly wouldn't care about some 80 year old in their adjacent neighborhood dying of influenza. In fact, a kid fell out of a window in a adjacent neighboorhood where I live, we heard about it for a day and then they did nothing. So stop spreading lies, it is not about preventing deaths, it is about not losing face.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 8,500,181 times
Quote:
Chinese totally accepted it in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Mainlanders would accept it too, especially if they gave them those covid pills they have been talking about.
Probably because people in Taiwan are not Chinese but Taiwanese.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:24 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,986,453 times
Quote:
If the information was easily accessible, then it would be easy to get.

Just to give you an example, lets say I want information about voting in Rio. With a few quick searches I found that the next national and state election is 2 October 2022. I also got some information about who is running and what they stand for. When I switched to Portuguese, I was also able to find the voting information in different districts.

But in China, finding information is very difficult. You can switch to Chinese, you still won't be able to find that information easily. The reason you don't know is because you don't know anything about China and get all your information from sites like r/genzedong. The reality is that most people in China have no idea when and how to vote, just like you.

Again, you don't know anything about China. Elections in China are not limited to party members. It might be 100 million who voted, which would mean that China has a pathetic 7% election participation rate.

I don't want a nanny state that controls my every step to protect lives, but that is not the point.

Your point is that China wants a zero covid nanny state, to protect lives. If that is true, then China would also try to avoid people from dying from other causes, especially when it is easy such as enforcing seat belts, car safety seats and motorbike helmets.

But they don't, clearly indicating that zero covid is not about protecting lives.
Please don't be naive... it maybe counterproductive or even harmful on the society to disproportionately focus on just 1 disease.

Sure, hundreds of people in the U.S. die with covid every day, but how many of them already have predisposed disease or other chronic or terminally ill conditions?

It also sounds like you are trying to paint the picture that no one dies in China while hundreds of people die in the U.S. Actually according to official data, about 10.14 million people pass away in China every year. https://www.ndrc.gov.cn/fggz/fgzy/jj...ode=&state=123
Should similar level of attention be paid to promote healthy lifestyles, etc. to prevent other diseases? How about strictly banning all cigarettes to have zero-cigarettes induced lung cancer?

According to official Chinese sources, about 100,000 youths die from suicide every year, which is among the highest rate in the world. Should more attention
https://www.chinacdc.cn/jkzt/mxfcrjb...2225041587.pdf
https://www.163.com/dy/article/HA32J4B70546TN6H.html

Don't get me wrong, I personally take COVID seriously and wear mask and practice personal hygiene all the time, but it's about time anyone should stop using covid cases and deaths as the only public health issue that should matter and call it "victory" after taking extreme measures to crush it at the expense of other factors (i.e. delay in treating other chronic illnesses and mental toll on citizens from extensive lockdown, etc.). There are so many other public health issues which also deserve much more attention.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:53 AM
pdw

2,722 posts, read 3,136,141 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. Xi has been trying to talk to Taiwan for years, but Taiwan's separatist government tries to boycott all peaceful engagement with the mainland.
No Chinese government will give up Taiwan, reunification will always remain on the agenda, be it peacefully or militarily, if necessary.

The West should be happy Xi is in power because a lot of Chinese people are far less patient with and generous towards Taiwan.
“Separatist”? You have a completely zealous, dogmatic sense of reality. Why did the separatist Communist Party refuse the KMT’s governance in 1949? How many in office in Taiwan are calling for a de jure Declaration of Independence? The Republic of China has been its own government for 111 years. The CCP has never had authority over Taiwan. I don’t expect a leader in the mainland to renounce reunification, but to call Xi’s approach peaceful is ridiculous

Old 08-12-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post

What do the Chinese people think of Africans? They don’t hold them in high regard. Of course, you’ve got to remember that China has viewed itself as the center of the world since Day One. They see all non-Han peoples as barbarians, as inferiors. That was absolutely true when the British sent an ambassador, Macartney, to open relations at the very end of the 18
th
C. He was treated with borderline contempt—pretty much the way Europeans and Americans have treated primitive peoples since the days of Columbus. It’s actually the normal human attitude, when an advanced culture encounters a backward culture. The Chinese see their culture as superior to even that of the West, and believe—probably correctly—that they’ll soon be economically and technologically superior as well.

People flock to places where they speak the language. That's why there is so little immigration to China, Japan etc.

What it says is not racism, but, well, cultural chauvinism.
And the author is accusing the Chinese of things, not stating facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia