Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Space does not belong to anyone, so what law are you talking about?

If you are the first to put flag on it or a fence around it, it belongs to you.

Edit: and can defend it.
There could be devastating environmental consequences for the planet depending on what goes on up there, also money could also be stored in space as a tax shelter for large corporations, workers exploited, etc. The UN is flawed but at least with Antarctica and such there’s been cooperation between countries. The idea of corporations outgrowing the influence of the governments of the planet is a scary thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 03:59 PM

1,651 posts, read 867,941 times
I see it in the same manner as the ocean. No one can claim the entire Pacific. International rules basically call for ownership up to a certain point past a nation's coastline with some exceptions granted. With space you can claim it, so long as you are willing and able to defend from others whom think otherwise.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:01 PM

I see it in the same manner as the ocean. No one can claim the entire Pacific. International rules basically call for ownership up to a certain point past a nation's coastline with some exceptions granted. With space you can claim it, so long as you are willing and able to defend from other whom think otherwise.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I see it in the same manner as the ocean. No one can claim the entire Pacific. International rules basically call for ownership up to a certain point past a nation's coastline with some exceptions granted. With space you can claim it, so long as you are willing and able to defend from other whom think otherwise.
There's a big difference in that while oceans and landmasses are largely fixed and dont change position, space is an empty void which doesn't move with the rotation of the world. The spaces above the US right now won't be the space above the US in 12 hours, for example, since the earth moves within space, rather than space around the earth. If nations claimed the space above them, then that would mean that everything in space would have to follow set rotation above the nation that claimed it or it would be considered "violating sovereign territory" unless granted permission. Most satellites do not have the ability to maintain a consistent space over one area, and simply orbit the planet.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:59 PM

No arguments here, I think it is silly to try claim dominion over space, the same way it's silly to try and claim dominion over oceans. Even if a country wanted to try, how do you defend your claims. The issues will likely revolve around protection of property from satellites to space mining equipment. Currently only 3 nations really have capability to destroy space assets on a large scale with a 4th India soon joining the group.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:00 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
You guys are debating something different so I’m not sure if it’s related to the point I brought up, but in case there was some confusion, I made the Antarctica comparison in that I believe Space should be a peaceful scientific zone, not one for military and economic exploitation. China is probably right that subcontracting something like space exploration to the private sector will have some real consequences. I’m not one of those anti-Musk people either, I just am worried about the big picture of where this leads. A militarized corporation that exists outside the domain of national borders is a terrifying concept.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You guys are debating something different so I’m not sure if it’s related to the point I brought up, but in case there was some confusion, I made the Antarctica comparison in that I believe Space should be a peaceful scientific zone, not one for military and economic exploitation. China is probably right that subcontracting something like space exploration to the private sector will have some real consequences. I’m not one of those anti-Musk people either, I just am worried about the big picture of where this leads. A militarized corporation that exists outside the domain of national borders is a terrifying concept.
As frightening as it sounds, it has been done before. Look up the Dutch East India Company. They had a militia, Navy, and tax authority. Personally, I would prefer space exploration to remain government controlled; however, the natural flow in a capitalistic system is the eventual transfer of duties to the private sector. The private sector can get the cost down thus increasing the rate of exploration. Right now, were in a market where investors tend to care little about making an immediate return and are willing to throw billions of dollars behind Elon or Jeff Bezos. Space X appears to be going the route of Boeing, towing the line between civilian and military applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia