Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2022, 07:12 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,987,016 times

Advertisements

Since Sri Lanka has now descended into complete economic and political chaos, it should seriously be considered for Sri Lanka to be admitted as part of an Indian state. With a population of about 22.2 million, the State of Sri Lanka will be 19th in population amongst Indian states. Sure, some may argue that Sri Lanka was never really part of India, there are language differences between them and Sri Lanka has a higher GDP per capita, but I think Sri Lanka has proven itself incapable of competing on global stage and it would be vulnerable to fall into the debt trap brought by another major superpower. Therefore, I think it makes sense for Sri Lankans to choose to join India as a state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 08:48 AM

10,344 posts, read 15,210,754 times
Why would India accept Sri Lanka? I get the impression is that the last thing India wants is more people. Even Americans need a visa to visit India and getting one to live there is almost impossible. That says it all.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:46 PM

102,333 posts, read 108,561,117 times
Why should Sri Lanka give up its sovereignty?

Old 07-10-2022, 06:52 PM

1,693 posts, read 897,617 times
Countries go through hard times. They are no reason to give up national sovereignty. Also what would India gain? No one wants to absorb a welfare state. Now is the time for Sri Lanka to vote in new leadership. Hopefully that leadership is capable of steering the ship in the right direction.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 487,965 times
Sri Lanka is a fellow Indo-Aryan nation with deep cultural, religious and ethnic ties to India but, outside of a few periods of imperial occupation by regional dynasties of southern India like the Pandya in the 13th century, they've never been part of India. To be honest 'India' as we know it didn't even fully exist until the British granted independence in 1947. I can't imagine the citizens of Sri Lanka being on board to having their nation become yet another state in the Indian juggernaut.

What Sri Lanka needs to do is dial back on the 'green energy' deal because that's severely impacting their agricultural productivity if I'm not mistaken. I'm not an economics expert but increasing their foreign currency reserves is another issue they need to get under control to try and stabilise things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia