Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 08:51 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pity that Palestine weighed in on that side though.
You actually believe Arabs gaf about self-determination and democratic values? That's hilarious. Everybody with a brain knows they only want to wipe Israel off the map. They even support Uyghurs genocide in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 11:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Pretty much in keeping with what a contemptible little dump it's always been, imho.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:01 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times
Quote:
It's a bit odd that Cuba, Mongolia, and the Central Asian and Caucasus countries haven't leaned in on this. Perhaps that'll come eventually, but it'd be real weird if it doesn't come at all.

Actually Cuba has denounced and should be listed above.

Mongolia and Central Asian and Caucasus countries are actually not that anti-West. They have largely stayed neutral in most issues between China/Russia and the West. They may lean slightly towards China/Russia axis but isnt really in their camp. These countries also participated quite a bit in the U.S. led anti terrorism efforts in the Middle East. You can read about conflicts displayed subtly between Kazakhstan and Russia over Ukraine.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:02 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Actually Cuba has denounced and should be listed above.

Mongolia and Central Asian and Caucasus countries are actually not that anti-West. They have largely stayed neutral in most issues between China/Russia and the West. They may lean slightly towards China/Russia axis but isnt really in their camp. These countries also participated quite a bit in the U.S. led anti terrorism efforts in the Middle East. You can read about conflicts displayed subtly between Kazakhstan and Russia over Ukraine.
There’s been growing tension between Russia and Kazakhstan, though it’s not caught the public’s eye yet. Not too long ago, some members of the Russian Duma, have expressed a desire to take over Kazakhstan and a while back, Putin himself made remarks where he said that he doesn’t view it as a legitimate country.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:17 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
There’s been growing tension between Russia and Kazakhstan, though it’s not caught the public’s eye yet. Not too long ago, some members of the Russian Duma, have expressed a desire to take over Kazakhstan and a while back, Putin himself made remarks where he said that he doesn’t view it as a legitimate country.
If Russia does that prepare to have a fall-out with China lol. I am grabbing popcorns.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:41 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
When China tries to drum up supporters with letters and press statements and what not it’s the most hilariously transparent thing. Everyone knows these countries are given pre-written scripts on what to say. It’s always the classic “Insert country does not support US interference in China’s internal affairs” line. The leaders of these countries are just like “Yeah sure we’ll say whatever just give us money”

Old 08-04-2022, 08:04 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Pretty much in keeping with what a contemptible little dump it's always been, imho.
Interesting how people feel deep sympathy for Taiwan, Tibet, and Xinjiang but absolutely none for Palestine. I wonder if it has anything to do with one being so called oppressed by a close ally and the other an enemy. Reminds me of the situation for North Ireland. The U.K. was clearly in the wrong, but Western powers looked the other way because the U.K. is a friend. China is economically bullying, yet the U.S. embargo for the last 60 years against Cuba is just. So much for that morality BS. Once again it's all about interest at the end of the day.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:16 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Interesting how people feel deep sympathy for Taiwan, Tibet, and Xinjiang but absolutely none for Palestine. I wonder if it has anything to do with one being so called oppressed by a close ally and the other an enemy. Reminds me of the situation for North Ireland. The U.K. was clearly in the wrong, but Western powers looked the other way because the U.K. is a friend. China is economically bullying, yet the U.S. embargo for the last 60 years against Cuba is just. So much for that morality BS. Once again it's all about interest at the end of the day.
Well, you went off in your own tangent there and answered your own question, but in my case, no, my feelings towards Palestine are more rooted in my experience with the Palestinian community in the US and in China, and what I know of their dealings with the rest of the world. My ex fiance was half, and I found the people in the community to be, by and large, dishonest, rude, arrogant, and prone to intimidation and grandstanding where it suited them. The ones I met, years later, in China in the expat community, were largely the same. I'm on the whole not prone to prejudgment towards any groups, but will admit that the Palestinians are an exception to this that I'm not entirely comfortable with, but I definitely do have.

The Irish had a ton of support in the US, and still do. I've had a lot of friends who are Irish (from Ireland, not Irish-American) who have talked about this, often in a quizzical or bemused way, and if course you have the Irish Americans who often supported the goals if not the means. That's not or less in line with my thinking on the matter.

Most of my issues around Tibet and Xinjiang have to do with the forced Hanification of these regions and their cultures, and less about the land occupation (those places are part of China now whether anyone likes it or not and that's not changing). In the case of Taiwan, the Taiwanese haven't done anything to China and just want to continue to have the autonomy they've enjoyed for 70+ years. The CCP is needlessly threateningly them and their way of life for the sake of ego and and obsession with rectifying their past failures and ineptitude.

My opinions are mostly experience-based. Yours seem to default to challenging Western norms, regardless of validity or morality. You're way off base on so many of the issues that people discuss here.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:39 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
At least Biden personally visited Palestine just recently... and did the Israeli government tried to stop him doing so?

Then should we also talk about why certain countries still refuse to recognize Kosovo as an independent and sovereign nation?

Old 08-04-2022, 09:41 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Nothing surprising there- the usual suspects.
Yes indeed. Nanny should feel flattered with that rogue's den saying mean things about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia