Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
At least 12 countries and territories have condemned or denounced Pelosi’s Taiwan visit:

China
Russia
Iran
Pakistan
Venezuela
Hong Kong
Belarus
Syria
North Korea
Macau
Nicaragua
Palestine
The usual suspects....move along....nothing see here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Seriously. They're at least decade out from being able to match today's premier chip technology - by which time, the US/TW/KR will have moved onto the next generation. Slapping a 400% duty on chips would utterly decapitate their electronics industry, and their military would be stuck using last-generation electronics.

However, considering how stupid some of Xi's economic decisions have been as of late, I could see this happening

It reminds me of an episode of a comic called Migraine Boy, where a character says to another, "that's it, if I can't have you, no one will!" and pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head.
Kind of reminds me of when the U.S. wouldn't allow China to participate in the international space station. China simply built their own. What's ironic is we allowed Russia to join the ISS. Well, we see how that one turned out. The U.S. forbid allowing China to be part of the European Galileo GPS project. China simply built their own GPS system. Point being playing this game of keep away does nothing more than hurt the U.S. in the long run, as China merely builds its own system and technology. Those systems soon become a competitor. Doesn't matter if it will take 1 or 10 years, they have a great track record. I can't understand why Europeans keep going along with these games, as it's their companies losing the bulk of business. Eventually they will wake up and realize these decisions on China do nothing but benefit the U.S. at their expense.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:20 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Doesn't matter if it will take 1 or 10 years, they have a great track record.
More like tankies like you would only cite the two "success stories" you can find. There's been a ton of complete failures too. 10 years ago Tsinghua Unigroup was deluded enough to claim they would buy TSMC and Mediatek, now it's gone bankrupt and will probably be bought by Foxconn, another Taiwanese giant which hires millions of Chinese people (though the Taiwanese government most likely wouldn't allow this). Funny how that turned out. Or Huawei which is barely hanging by a thread now after merely some sanctions by America. The US government lifted a finger and the company went under.

And 10 years? You think Taiwanese and Korean foundries are staying put and waiting for SMIC to play relay? Lol. You need Japanese materials and Dutch equipment to run a successful foundry - both Japan and NL are more than happy to join US sanctions against Chinese companies.

It's so ****ing laughable that wumaos always bring up "China blockading Taiwan" and the West "would do nothing because the West relies on China's export". More than 40% of China's export is through Taiwanese branches in China. After Pelosi's visit, what did China "sanction"? Some snacks and fruits and ... sand - because those are the only products China can sanction without eating a bullet.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-09-2022 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-09-2022, 10:51 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
I can't understand why Europeans keep going along with these games, as it's their companies losing the bulk of business.
Why would Europe align itself with a country that supports Russia's invasion of Ukraine, that undermines the European project by not treating the EU as one entity and uses every opportunity to give an unfair advantage to Chinese companies? And we haven't even started talking about the clash of values between the current China and the EU.

It is also quite ironic that you insist that Europe should only care about its economy while cheering whenever China sacrifices its economy for ideological pursuits.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:58 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
So 93% of the world agrees, and 6% of the world is opposed to her visit?

Makes sense.

Except that you only listed 9 "countries" -- and that's being generous and counting the failed states as "countries".

So really, 95% of the world agrees and <5% side with the despots.
You seem to assuming that countries who have said nothing are in favor of her trip.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:15 AM

671 posts, read 315,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
LOL, China sincerely does not care at all, which is where most of its issues in the geopolitical sphere come from. They've burned every bridge that was actually bringing money into the country and now they're paying for it.

In any case, still looking for that actual list. Lmk if you find it
I think china cares more than the USA, just look at the countries they do business with.
do you see americans building bridges and HSR for other countries? not when we're struggling to build our own (CA HSR i'm looking at you)

Old 08-10-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Why would Europe align itself with a country that supports Russia's invasion of Ukraine, that undermines the European project by not treating the EU as one entity and uses every opportunity to give an unfair advantage to Chinese companies? And we haven't even started talking about the clash of values between the current China and the EU.

It is also quite ironic that you insist that Europe should only care about its economy while cheering whenever China sacrifices its economy for ideological pursuits.
I'm confused, have they come out in support of the invasion. From what I understand China like many other nations are being neutral in the conflict. I thought the EU was one block. They sure negotiate as one, so how are they not treating as one? Regarding unfair advantages, doesn't every nation on earth have protectionist trade policies. Europeans are some of the worst offenders. Look at their trade policies towards Africa.

To the contrary I don't insist that Europe only care about their economy. I merely point out that in trying to cause others pain, they inadvertently hurt themselves. If their leaders choose to do so because they believe they are operating on some sort of moral high ground let them. However, I and many others are not fooled. Europeans have been responsible for multiple genocides, rampant racism, chattel slavery, and the 2 worst wars in human history. The current conflict they are experiencing appears to be in line with their history. Seriously what’s new. Moral high ground they have not.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
More like tankies like you would only cite the two "success stories" you can find. There's been a ton of complete failures too. 10 years ago Tsinghua Unigroup was deluded enough to claim they would buy TSMC and Mediatek, now it's gone bankrupt and will probably be bought by Foxconn, another Taiwanese giant which hires millions of Chinese people (though the Taiwanese government most likely wouldn't allow this). Funny how that turned out. Or Huawei which is barely hanging by a thread now after merely some sanctions by America. The US government lifted a finger and the company went under.

And 10 years? You think Taiwanese and Korean foundries are staying put and waiting for SMIC to play relay? Lol. You need Japanese materials and Dutch equipment to run a successful foundry - both Japan and NL are more than happy to join US sanctions against Chinese companies.

It's so ****ing laughable that wumaos always bring up "China blockading Taiwan" and the West "would do nothing because the West relies on China's export". More than 40% of China's export is through Taiwanese branches in China. After Pelosi's visit, what did China "sanction"? Some snacks and fruits and ... sand - because those are the only products China can sanction without eating a bullet.
I just listed 2 of the most recent and prolific examples. My point was made. There is a fascinating history of countries trying to keep advanced technology out the hands of others.

The Dutch tried to keep their ship building methods away from the British. It didn't work.
The British tried to keep their industrial revolution secrets way from the rest of the world. It didn't work.

I can go on an on, but the point is made, such a strategy doesn't work long-term. When there is money to be made, there will be those seeking to cash in, but by all means let them keep up the strategy. The U.S. has to do something.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'm confused, have they come out in support of the invasion. From what I understand China like many other nations are being neutral in the conflict. I thought the EU was one block. They sure negotiate as one, so how are they not treating as one? Regarding unfair advantages, doesn't every nation on earth have protectionist trade policies. Europeans are some of the worst offenders. Look at their trade policies towards Africa.

To the contrary I don't insist that Europe only care about their economy. I merely point out that in trying to cause others pain, they inadvertently hurt themselves. If their leaders choose to do so because they believe they are operating on some sort of moral high ground let them. However, I and many others are not fooled. Europeans have been responsible for multiple genocides, rampant racism, chattel slavery, and the 2 worst wars in human history. The current conflict they are experiencing appears to be in line with their history. Seriously what’s new. Moral high ground they have not.
“From what you understand” is all you need to say. You understand nothing. Being an edgelord about America does not make you seem smart or objective, it merely shows you’ve been drinking too much Chinese and Russian kool-aid.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-10-2022 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-10-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I just listed 2 of the most recent and prolific examples. My point was made. There is a fascinating history of countries trying to keep advanced technology out the hands of others.

The Dutch tried to keep their ship building methods away from the British. It didn't work.
The British tried to keep their industrial revolution secrets way from the rest of the world. It didn't work.

I can go on an on, but the point is made, such a strategy doesn't work long-term. When there is money to be made, there will be those seeking to cash in, but by all means let them keep up the strategy. The U.S. has to do something.
There is also a fascinating history of countries trying to emulate advance technology and failing miserably. Chip production is international by nature. The key players are key players because they are allies, China is an enemy. Maybe read the news about chip alliance and US-led sanctions for once. Your examples are all from decades or even centuries ago. Dutch ship building and industrial revolution? Really?

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-10-2022 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia