Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 12:27 AM

817 posts, read 631,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
In the Europe Forum, there is an American now living in Siberia.
Harder to save money in Vietnam, higher costs and too much distraction.
Siberia? jesus christ might as well live in a freezer lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 05:38 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,009,883 times
CCP China is doomed.
The dictator for life is going to have some serious domestic issues.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:41 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,009,883 times
Right now.
The Apple factories in China are having some serious worker problems.

LINK

Old 02-08-2023, 11:47 AM

671 posts, read 316,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
The demographer I mention studying this, well, at least 1 of them is Chinese, in China. He is the one that first went around collecting numbers himself straight from sources, then later pointed out that the numbers had "magically" changed when released by the statistics bureau. He was putting out numbers three years ago that predicted this. His numbers are worse still. I somehow forsee the official numbers slowly continuing to move toward his numbers.
numbers doesn't matter, you can always make statistic to fit your narrative easily.

let me give you an example

the population decline is actually a ccp propaganda!
they want to show the world that their gdp per capita is sky high as it fits with their poverty alleviation campaign!

how do you make that number sky high? well it's harder to make up a high gdp given the covid policies for almost the whole year. saying the population decline will do the trick!!

Old 02-08-2023, 12:31 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,709,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
numbers doesn't matter, you can always make statistic to fit your narrative easily.

they want to show the world that their gdp per capita is sky high as it fits with their poverty alleviation campaign!

how do you make that number sky high? well it's harder to make up a high gdp given the covid policies for almost the whole year. saying the population decline will do the trick!!
Except that even you could shoot down your example fake argument by pointing out that a population decline of 0.06% isn't going to move the needle on per capita GDP.

So, no, you can't make always make statistics fit your narrative.

When Chinese start saying "numbers don't matter" you know something is badly off the rails in the propaganda machine. That's basically sacrilegious in our household.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:46 PM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
I assume opening up to jumpstart the economy probably means quite a few people, especially elderly, will die via covid or covid-related complications, so this year isn't going to be much good either. However, it's hard to tell how long these trends will hold. I do think with the removal of covid restrictions, it's pretty likely that the Chinese economy will see decent growth this year and will continue to do at least moderate growth for the next several years unless something drastic or dramatically stupid happens. I think the country is in a fairly decent spot for at least the near term of the next several years with the global economy opening back up, which is especially important to China given its major exports, the substantial connections China has been building with much of the developing world (and the likelihood of Chinese automakers and other industrial exports overtaking European and Japanese automakers and other such in key growth regions like Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Africa), the massive weakening of Russia which has allowed China to cement much stronger ties in Central Asia and to cut fantastic deals on petroleum and other raw goods and greatly fill up their strategic petroleum reserve at cut rate prices. However, who knows if that likely economic growth will come with it any change in fertility rate or notable change in life expectancy. From the Chinese interwebs, there appears to be a bit of hubbub of importing Russian widows to help with that which is pretty dark.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-08-2023 at 12:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2023, 09:50 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,462,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
And many countries are in the same boat as China.
The difference is these countries are developed countries. China is a developing country.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:04 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,881,519 times
Quote:

This is the first time I've heard anyone opine that the population decline is propaganda to make the economy look better, probably because it's nonsensical.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:57 PM

671 posts, read 316,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Except that even you could shoot down your example fake argument by pointing out that a population decline of 0.06% isn't going to move the needle on per capita GDP.

So, no, you can't make always make statistics fit your narrative.

When Chinese start saying "numbers don't matter" you know something is badly off the rails in the propaganda machine. That's basically sacrilegious in our household.
hehe, i have to admit that i purposely baited for a reply with that number.

having worked in census and studied statistic, I can tell you that such a percentage is insignificant. It's actually way more accurate to call the population static rather than declined.

and yes, you can always make statistics fit your narrative. it definitely moves the needle on per capita GDP when you have that massive of a population. those so called "china experts" should study statistics first before getting into geopolitics.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:19 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,080,384 times
Quote:
hehe, i have to admit that i purposely baited for a reply with that number.
Population decline doesn't happen linearly, it starts slow and then speeds up every year.

Someone that claims to know statistics should know that and don't make a silly point about the population is currently dropping slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia