Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
True to a point, you will probably have no problems in Japan. However I will warn you that Japannesse people can be very racist particularly against black people behind closed doors. Same goes with Chinnese and Koreans.

The average Japanese person would rather have their son or daugher marry a white person over a black person because they percieve it to be a stigma to be black. Plus like a previous poster stated alot of Asians have not seen many blacks so they tend to be scared of them.

All and all though you should be fine. Asian people tend to keep their racist views to themselves.
Just curious, if it's behind closed doors how do you know this? In my experience (I am from Kansai area and I'm japanese) never once have I heard of clear racism from anyone even after we saw black people. We might be ignorant on other races and say things that sound racist but, racism behind closed doors say akin to what you hear in the US (i'm talking about the minority that is racist)? I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 AM

11 posts, read 36,144 times
Default Racism in Japan?

I don't know how it would be as an adult, but i was an exchange student there when i was 14. overall extremely positive experience, and lots of attention, especially from girls. i was in Sapporo, and people would stop me on the streets to take pictures with me, and wave at me whenever i was out and about.

that was YEARS ago (as in 1979), so i don't know what things are like for adult black men, nor do i know what things are like "today", since i haven't been back since that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia