Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Tatooing in Eastern cultures is considered low-class, as is tanning. Tatoos are usually the mark of a gangster, prostitute, aboriginie, or kid apeing "western" culture.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with tatooing Mandarin characters on yourself if you have a strong connection to the culture and really want to do it. It won't make you fit in anywhere, but you shouldn't get any tatoo based on what other people think.

One thing to note, if you're a westerner going to study or live in Asia--especially if you leave the "western or expat areas"--you're pretty much given a pass on anything you want, because you're a rarity. You can have a blue mohawk, tatooed face, and nipple rings chained through your nose and people will just shrug it off as some weird foreign thing. You can also be clean-cut, wear a suit, and keep a low profile and somebody will still point and shout "laowei!!" like you're a one-eyed purple people-eater, or want to take their picture with you.

Be sure you know what you're doing with the tatoos, though. My spouse and I spotted a big muscular shirtless guy strutting down the Santa Monica Promenade with a giant black mandarin tatoo on his chest. It said: "Waitress"
Hehe

There was a blog I read a looong time ago (my friend who lived in Japan showed it to me) where people posted mistranslated or poorly done kanji tattoos. A girl had a few symbols on her lower back entertwined with flowers and whatnot and the symbols ended up meaning 'explosive diarrhea'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
As someone who has lived and worked in Japan and speaks and reads the language, as earlier posters have said, tattoos are generally associated with the Yakuza in Japan and many establishments will now allow you in if you have them. This even extends to baseball there, where an American pitcher was forced to wear a long sleeved jersey under his uni top so that the tattoos on his arms wouldn't be visible.

Personally, I find tattoos on anyone to be ugly and low class and I will not date any women who has them (however, service tattoos are fine with me). But that is a personal preference on my part and if people want to do that to themselves, well, it's none of my business.

As for the kanji tattoos, American tattoo artists usually don't know what they're doing when it comes to writing them properly and Japanese largely think they look silly anyway.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I just wonder why the fascination with Kanji and Chinese characters, and it can't be explained by the recent surge in Japanophilia since it was pretty common as far back as the 80's.

Why not Cyrillic, Runes, Hebrew, foreign words/phrases in the Roman alphabet, etc? I mean, these exist but Japanese and Chinese characters dominate.

I would guess that it is in homage to east Asian tattooing traditions, but you don't see Asian tattoos of characters (not much anyway), but rather figural patterns.

At any rate, I'm not a big fan of tattoos and I find tattoos of Japanese and Chinese characters to be the paragon of un-originality and conformity in the art. Only the 'Li'l Devil, Tweety bird, and neck tattoos of pairs of aces, evil clowns, and shamrocks are lower than the whole Oriental character thing.

ABQConvict

Old 08-13-2009, 12:33 PM

221 posts, read 535,546 times
I'd love to get a kanji tattoo i think they look really awesome.

i wont get it till ive learned japanese, though.. and id be sure to ask around so that i was sure it didnt mean something crazy.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
I'd love to get a kanji tattoo i think they look really awesome.

i wont get it till ive learned japanese, though.. and id be sure to ask around so that i was sure it didnt mean something crazy.
Why not also look into Maori tattoos? Tattooing is considered a sacred art amongst Maori people. I have seen some truly outstanding ones on people in New Zealand BUT don't get one that replicates a specific Maori tattoo as they see this as extremely disrespectful. Instead, you can get a tattoo that looks similar but doesn't have any Maori ties.

Traditional Maori Tattoos | Tattoo Designs, Tribe Tattooing, Ta Moko

Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Aside from translation issues, a lot of tattoo artists make ugly Japanese/Chinese characters. Make sure to check with someone used reading the language before you get something that might look fine to you, but will have Chinese-readers shaking their head.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I just wonder why the fascination with Kanji and Chinese characters, and it can't be explained by the recent surge in Japanophilia since it was pretty common as far back as the 80's.

Why not Cyrillic, Runes, Hebrew, foreign words/phrases in the Roman alphabet, etc? I mean, these exist but Japanese and Chinese characters dominate.

I would guess that it is in homage to east Asian tattooing traditions, but you don't see Asian tattoos of characters (not much anyway), but rather figural patterns.

At any rate, I'm not a big fan of tattoos and I find tattoos of Japanese and Chinese characters to be the paragon of un-originality and conformity in the art. Only the 'Li'l Devil, Tweety bird, and neck tattoos of pairs of aces, evil clowns, and shamrocks are lower than the whole Oriental character thing.

ABQConvict
Cyrillic and Hebrew are alphabetic systems. To spell whole words can take up more space. Korean and Vietnamese are also alphabetic systems, or semi-alphabetic syllabary systems, so you don't see them much either.

Kanji/Chinese really is the only major "symbol writing", I think it's called ideographic, system left so far as I know. Tattoos use of symbols is fairly longstanding. Anchor for Navy, etc. So Chinese/Kanji just fits better. Now Egyptian hieroglyphs are also well known and a symbol-system. I don't know if it's popular or not, but if it's not it might just be that Egypt is no longer fashionable or because hieroglyphics is not a living system.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM

221 posts, read 535,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Why not also look into Maori tattoos? Tattooing is considered a sacred art amongst Maori people. I have seen some truly outstanding ones on people in New Zealand BUT don't get one that replicates a specific Maori tattoo as they see this as extremely disrespectful. Instead, you can get a tattoo that looks similar but doesn't have any Maori ties.

Traditional Maori Tattoos | Tattoo Designs, Tribe Tattooing, Ta Moko
no, itd have to be something with meaning.. not just a pattern.

a japanese kanji would be perfect!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:04 AM

895 posts, read 2,366,587 times
Japanese don't like tatoos. In fact people with tattoo can't even enter onsen, we associate tattoos with Yakuza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia