Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Some people would call it "Western Asia" but general it's considered the "Middle East" which is thought of as seperate. Smart guy.

Seriously. Most people do not consider countries like Saudi, Iran, Iraq, etc. as Asian countries. They consider them Middle Eastern and generally they are considered as a totally seperate region of the world.

But this is all just subjective classifications anyway.
The list has Georgia, so obviously the OP didn't mean only East Asia.
Try not to insult people because they have different classifications as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:30 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
I've only been to a few countries, so I have a small sample. I'd say Laos, Cambodia, and China. But then I'm only knocking off Thailand and Vietnam from the Asian countries I've been to!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 PM

15 posts, read 63,657 times
CMDallas & caution,
I know you said you liked the people in the Philippines but didnt' you find it too hot and humid?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Some people would call it "Western Asia" but general it's considered the "Middle East" which is thought of as seperate. Smart guy.

Seriously. Most people do not consider countries like Saudi, Iran, Iraq, etc. as Asian countries. They consider them Middle Eastern and generally they are considered as a totally seperate region of the world.

Look at any "real" atlas -most of middle east is a part of Asia and thiere is nothing subjective about this. ( http://geography.about.com/library/maps/blrasia.htm )Some people may include Egypt etc (physically in Africa) in middle east too. That is why when in the US people say someone is "Asian" meaning s/he has "oriental" features, many get confused since Asia includes Middle East, parts of Russia, South Asia etc where people look quite different.

Personal likes: China & India for the sheer diversity (dont think I can cover them in business trips alone), Singapore as a small but very interesting country.

Last edited by calmdude; 01-23-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Look at any atlas -most of middle east is a part of Asia and thiere is nothing subjective about this. Some people may include Egypt etc (physically in Africa) in middle east too. That is why when in the US people say someone is "Asian" meaning s/he has "oriental" features, many get confused since Asia includes Middle East, parts of Russia, South Asia etc where people look quite different.

Personal likes: China & India for the sheer diversity (dont think I can cover them in business trips alone), Singapore as a small but very interesting country.
Yes, I am aware that the Middle East is on the same continental landmass as Asia.

Honestly though. Who would call a Saudi Arabian or an Iraqi an Asian? Would you consider a Palestinian an Asian? On the same note, would you consider a Russian an Asian? I have never heard anyone speak in those terms.

The Asian landmass is so big. That the people who live across it are generally classified in different ways. Although it's technically the same continent.

This is where the subjectivity comes in. How can you say there's nothing subjective about it? I lived in Northeast Asia for a while myself. And the people there didn't even think of the Middle East as part of "Asia". And they they did not view Russians as Asians either.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Yes, I am aware that the Middle East is on the same continental landmass as Asia.

Honestly though. Who would call a Saudi Arabian or an Iraqi an Asian? Would you consider a Palestinian an Asian? On the same note, would you consider a Russian an Asian? I have never heard anyone speak in those terms.

The Asian landmass is so big. That the people who live across it are generally classified in different ways. Although it's technically the same continent.

This is where the subjectivity comes in. How can you say there's nothing subjective about it? I lived in Northeast Asia for a while myself. And the people there didn't even think of the Middle East as part of "Asia". And they they did not view Russians as Asians either.
Well, regardless of what the people think, most mid-east these countries are a part of Asia. But, as we agree, when it comes to talking about people, "Asians" are different than "middle easteners" and so on and that is not helpful in classifications.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 61,196 times
Quote:

you're wrong about that and probably dont get out much. most of the human population is to the east of ksa. since the term middle east was formed by europeans which happened to be to the west of ksa, it wouldn't apply to most people. depending on where you are, it can be called middle west.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 19,714 times
well for me as an asian
i love of course love my own country philippines ^^,
and itz not all part of the philippines is as that hot like in manila XD

tsk so to the countries i would love to visit and go to
JAPAN !!!
korea
taiwan
vietnam
china
malaysia
indonesia and
thailand :]
those are the countries i would love to visit once i finished my schooling and started workin :]

Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
I've been to many countries, but I'd have to say Korea. You can live there real cheap and the people are pretty nice, you just have to watch the ones you buy things from, but then it is the same just about anywhere you go.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 AM

23 posts, read 79,902 times
I love JAPAN! but i would really love to visit china and korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia