Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,695 times

Advertisements

Most branded low-end digital cameras are made in China.
Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia for examples are replacing China in cheap goods, but there are exceptions as I recall my uncle's Nikon D200 is a made-in-Thailand.
If you're a consumer, you have the choice to purchase a product made in a crappy country or one where the exchange rate eats up your dollar, or a garage sale.

Why spit on a creditor when no one else will loan you and there is no recourse to the billions lost to our beloved uncle Madoff and Wall Street fat cats.
Globalization aka "corporate giants" were driven by western economies. The west have much to pardon others but none to thyselves.

What differentiates a successful individual from the rest is his attitude, and how he sees opportunity in any situations.

Before President Obama's visit to china, I read that his half brother have lived in china for the past 7 years and taught ESL; after the visit, new detail came up that he owned a company that assists Chinese companies to source buyers in USA. Now I can't find any of the above info online. Capitalism >< marxism, democracy >< oligarchies What a complicated world.

Last edited by dougie86; 12-16-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My concern is what is the U.S. going to be exporting to make up for all that it imports in the way of consumer good?

If China is the new U.S., then perhaps the U.S. will become the old China - low paid workers producing low quality products for quick sale.
A while ago I read that China won bids to operate and manage airports in latin american countries. It dawns on me that why US is not taking lead and venturing in to China or Russia where plane crashes are not uncommon.
I can think of other fields where US has the expertise e.g. public safety and security, public health, city planning....

Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
after the visit, new detail came up that he owned a company that assists Chinese companies to source buyers in USA. Now I can't find any of the above info online. Capitalism >< marxism, democracy >< oligarchies What a complicated world.
Therein lies the rub. Now I won't say that these middlemen are all crooks, but they aren't all NOT crooks either. A better bet for any business owners out there who don't want to do the sourcing themselves is to hire US-based agencies who source Chinese factories. And make sure that these people correspond directly with the factory and not with another middleman across the ocean.

The United States exports new designs, high technology, and capital goods. The Chinese focus is currently on replication of designs sent to them by foreign firms. They are improving their higher education system so they can innovate, but they are not there yet. The Chinese still buy aircraft, nuclear reactors, gas turbines, and designs for a lot of machinery from US companies.

But if you have any doubt that Chinese are not yet technological innovators, just look to their high technology. Their spacecraft are practically carbon copies of Russian Soyez vehicles. Their aircraft are MiG knoffs. The list goes on...

Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Chinese export their products to the world because their low prices.
However I consider them a big waste because they have zero quality.
Their durability is very short.
And what about you? What do you think about Chinese products?
You can only blame the gazillion American companies that have everything made there. The Chinese factory workers are not to blame..it's the American corporations that have everything made there because it's cheaper--that's called capitalism.

Sure, the quality sucks but please tell me where you can buy an American made television or vacuum cleaner. Why not complain to the CEO of _____(insert American company).

Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
The only Chinese products I will willingly buy are antiques from 200+ years ago. I boycott China whenever possible these days. For issues of quality, looking out for the interests of my fellow Americans, a strike (however small) against free trade and corporations profiting off abuse of their workers and spitting on Americans, and a protest against a totalitarian government.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You can only blame the gazillion American companies that have everything made there. The Chinese factory workers are not to blame..it's the American corporations that have everything made there because it's cheaper--that's called capitalism.

Sure, the quality sucks but please tell me where you can buy an American made television or vacuum cleaner. Why not complain to the CEO of _____(insert American company).
Most of our businessmen and politicians are traitors and scum. I can't imagine our ancestors of 200+ years ago would have tolerated this scum...

Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I took a year of Mandarin, but I can't speak it for beans.

Despite my fascination with Chinese history and philosophy I would like to not buy Chinese products, meaning Mainland China as I have no problem buying Taiwanese stuff, but I think that's basically impossible. Or at least it would cost more effort than is doable.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I would like to not buy Chinese products, meaning Mainland China as I have no problem buying Taiwanese stuff, but I think that's basically impossible. Or at least it would cost more effort than is doable.
Why the US has free trade with the communist PRC (China) and not with the democratic ROC (Taiwan) I'll never know.

You can't manufacture anything in Taiwan without securing a quota from the government first. But China? Oh, no go right ahead and manufacture whatever you want without restriction!

There's a trade commission looking at opening trade with Taiwan, and the island has just opened their markets to American Beef (one of the major sticking points) so maybe things will move forward soon...

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
China is weird about Taiwan. You get nice with Taiwan and they get mad. And they have always had more people and at least now they have the bigger economy so they tend to get their way on the matter. Even in Taiwan itself they sort-of seem to get their way on the matter from what I can tell. The more "we're our own nation" camp in Taiwan lost.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Why the US has free trade with the communist PRC (China) and not with the democratic ROC (Taiwan) I'll never know.

You can't manufacture anything in Taiwan without securing a quota from the government first. But China? Oh, no go right ahead and manufacture whatever you want without restriction!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but quota applies to specific products originated from China as well. Look at the garment manufacturing industry in US Commonwealth of Norther Mariana Islands (CNMI) prior to current global recession.

Quote:
In years past, the main economic driving force in Saipan was garment manufacturing, driven largely by foreign contract workers (mainly from China). As of March, 2007 19 companies manufactured garments on Saipan. In addition to many foreign-owned and -run companies, many well-known U.S. brands also operated garment factories in Saipan for much of the last three decades. Brands include Gap (as of 2000 operating 6factories there), Levi Strauss, Phillips-Van Heusen, Abercrombie & Fitch, L'Oreal subsidiary Ralph Lauren (Polo), Lord & Taylor, Tommy Hilfiger and Walmart. Currently, there are no garment manufacturers on the island, with the last one closing in February, 2009.
I believe that Taiwanese entrepreneurs overcome the trade restrictions by setting up factories in Latin American countries .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia