Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Culture of Istanbul: European or Middle Eastern?
The culture of Istanbul is European. 6 9.23%
The culture of Istanbul favors European, but has traces of Middle Eastern. 9 13.85%
The culture of Istanbul is a 50% split between European and Middle Eastern. 12 18.46%
The culture of Istanbul is Middle Eastern. 17 26.15%
The culture of Istanbul favors Middle Eastern, but has traces of European. 21 32.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times

Advertisements

So Israelis, Iranians and Kurds are not Middle Eastern because they do not speak Arabic. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Though Turks might not admit it, these traces of western culture are from the remnants and legacy left by the Byzantine empire. Most of the mosques were built to resemble the Hagia Sophia for example.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So Israelis, Iranians and Kurds are not Middle Eastern because they do not speak Arabic. Got it.
Did I ever say that?
Don't put words in my mouth please.

Last edited by Neutre; 05-06-2010 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Did I ever say that?
Don't put words in my mouth please.
I wasn't actually referring to your post. I was responding to the same one you were, Danbo1957's, interpreted through your comment. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
ok for all the people who say that Isanbul has no european traces... how many of you have actually been there???

oh i get so mad when i see Oh well they are muslim they are middle eastern... you relize muslim is not a country right, religion and heartige is not the same thing. so what does that mean that people should go oh wait your christen that means you have to be white european????

Ok now that i am done...

Istanbul and Tukey as a hole is VERY modern and Very European. Its 100% modernized and they have been applying to get into the EU for a while now. Its a very beautiful and modern place, there are tons of clubs and beatuiful hotels... there is more to see in Istanbul then you could ever see in a lifetime its HUGE... Istanbul is very similar to dubai.... and its quickly becoming a new playground...

i think dubai will always be the "vegas of the middle east though"

Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
ok for all the people who say that Isanbul has no european traces... how many of you have actually been there???

oh i get so mad when i see Oh well they are muslim they are middle eastern... you relize muslim is not a country right, religion and heartige is not the same thing. so what does that mean that people should go oh wait your christen that means you have to be white european????

Ok now that i am done...

Istanbul and Tukey as a hole is VERY modern and Very European. Its 100% modernized and they have been applying to get into the EU for a while now. Its a very beautiful and modern place, there are tons of clubs and beatuiful hotels... there is more to see in Istanbul then you could ever see in a lifetime its HUGE... Istanbul is very similar to dubai.... and its quickly becoming a new playground...

i think dubai will always be the "vegas of the middle east though"
Lol .. vegas is on cloud nine ..Dubai has just raised its head up straight lol

Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 PM

667 posts, read 940,197 times
Istanbul is an Eastern city, you will understand it already after 5 minutes there. The most western city in Turkey is Izmir; 50 % eastern, 50 % western culture.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:12 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
Istanbul is very similar to dubai.... and its quickly becoming a new playground...
I sure hope not. Dubai is a very artificial looking place. I'll take the history and culture of Istanbul any time over that.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM

37 posts, read 308,130 times
Turks probably referred (or u r confused) to Armenians. In 1920s, what Turkish population in NY to talk about!? Syrians and Turks wouldnt live together, it was Armenians that were living with Syrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Funny, I just read an article about the 'Oriental' population of New York City's lower east side in the 1920's. It was primarily concerned with Turks and Syrians.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,654 times
It really depends on where in Istanbul you are, and the generation of people you are associating with.

There are younger, more "hip" neighborhoods where you hardly see a headscarf anywhere. Then in the more traditional areas it is not surprising to see women in Hijab walking everywhere.

This is not to say what is right or wrong, just an observation. Keep in mind though 95% of the population is muslim.

One thing I have noticed is that Prime Minister Erdogan has been progressively shifting more and more "eastern" in recent months. Especially since the Floatilla incident the anti-western sentiment in Istanbul has grown significantly, especially amongst journalists who write for certain local newspapers.

The rest of Europe is noticing this as well. I was actually in Istanbul the week of the incident on business (I live in Istanbul 1-2 weeks each month for the past 9 months due to a joint project my company in Boston is working on) and was heading back home to Boston, but agreed to meet my wife in Paris for a few days on the way back. Once my flight landed the French authorities where lined up outside our gate at CDG performing a "routine" (I have never experienced this in all my years of traveling) passport check the moment people exited the plane. Every single Turk on the flight was pulled aside for questioning, while I pulled out my US passport they didnt even ask me to open it and told me to have a good trip and welcome to France. It was probably the most blatant case of profiling I have ever seen at the airport.

Sorry for the long story, but I found that interesting and it shows that while Turkey is a secular country and Isntabul quite European in many ways, many in Europe do not see them as similar to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia