Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Good for you. When I say I haven't read his books it isn't because I don't approve or agree, but I'm an atheist and I don't need to be convinced by him. I actually spend more time looking at the questions aimed at non - belief.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I wasn't any more or less an atheist after reading his book, it did reinforce some of my thinking and reasoning though. But that's all, just a reinforcement. I did enjoy reading it. Not as much as Chuck Berry's autobiography, or Turnaround by Bill Bratton, or the Jimi Hendrix biography Room Full of Mirrors.But I did find it difficult to put down once I started it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not really sure why they think this would be appealing except that many of them probably are professors and are kind of nerds. Maybe this partly explains the somewhat lower appeal among women with the "New Atheists." They're not exactly Simone De Beauvoir, although looking her up I guess she had pedophilic tendencies eek, or even Ayn Rand for that matter. (Julia Sweeney does alright, but she's just one person and being the voice of female atheists would be a bit much)
You have forgotten Madylyn Murray O'Hair who was in her time the most hated woman in America.

Quote:
"There is no God. There's no heaven. There's no hell. There are no angels. When you die, you go in the ground, the worms eat you."

-- Madalyn Murray O’Hair
Madalyn Murray O'Hair Quotes

Or

Positive Atheism's Big List of Elizabeth Cady Stanton Quotations

Elizabeth Cady Stanton who wrote:

Quote:
he Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, quoted from Free Thought Magazine (Sept. 1896)
And for a contemporary woman we have Ayaan Hirsi Ali who was raised a Muslim and escaped from it to Holland.

Quote:
The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali quotes

Try these too.

YouTube - WAM!! (Women's Atheist Motion to SPEAK OUT)

Dorothy

Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I thought of mentioning O'Hare. I knew Ayaan Hirsi Ali first as a rather strident anti-Muslim, but I have to admit seeing her on the TV she was much calmer and more reasonable than I'd expected. Not that I really agree with her or anything, but it was a surprise.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I'm not sure I understand your questions. I think what I said is pretty clear and the meaning self-evident.

By "Atheist cause" I simply mean "Atheism." Hitchens argues that Atheism is true. I don't know how else to explain it.

Perhaps try rewording your question?

Arq--is this a matter of me not knowing the "secret Atheist handshake" and if so, could you translate?
My inquiries are quite simple. The reasons you provided do not add up to what you were asserting, or what you "thought". It doesn't follow logic, so I was asking for clarification.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM

69 posts, read 68,636 times
Why would any rational person want God anyway as I implicitly ask at the thread why believe in God? Never wil I brain-wash myself to become a Yehua zombie! I despise that jerk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism